The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

After a month or so off because of a death in the family, I went back to riding my 16.2 hand mare. I didn't have a ring and was riding in a field. She was fine trotting toward where the other horses where in a pasture but balked when we turned to go away. She stopped, I kicked, she bucked and flung her head sideways. I broke my hand on her withers. I continued riding for about 10 minutes so she "wouldn't get away with it." Dismounted (with some difficulty), took off tack, when to my neighbors to ask some questions about tractors, and then went to bed wearing my carpel tunnel brace. Next morning I went to the Dr (didn't want to go to the emergency room that night). PA said in spite of being very swollen she didn't think it was broken as I had full range of movement. I said I knew it was broken as I heard it crack. Got sent for x-rays and yes, it was broken. Orthopedic surgeon asked who I was mad at. I said "the horse." He said "what did you hit." I said "the horse" and explained that it wasn't intentional. He said that injury was typical of someone getting mad, making a fist, and hitting an immovable object. I said "well, her withers weren't going anywhere."
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

6 members found this post helpful.

Several years ago, I was trail riding with some girlfriends in early August which in NC means heat, humidity, and sweat. One of the girls and I decided we'd "race" our horses down the farm road we were on so we took off at full tilt. I lost my left stirrup and started to come over the right side of the saddle. I hit the ground face-first and then the rest of my body mass landed on my left arm. The horse never missed a stride, though, and most likely kept running until he reached the barn about a half mile from the scene of the crash. Our other older and more sensible friend who never took part in any shenanigans such as "racing" was behind me and she started yelling "Don't get up! Don't get up!" She got to me and got off her horse, who decided to sniff me up and down as if to say "Why are you on the ground?" My arm instantly started swelling and the blood from my split bottom lip mixed oh-so-well with my sweat and dirt from the road.

I told her to call an ambulance because I didn't want her to try to transport me with a possible broken arm.

The first thing the paramedic asked me was "Where is your helmet?" (This was back in my "10-feet-tall-and-bulletproof" stage. I've now been reduced to my true height and realization that I can and do break.) I told her it was in the tack room and that my other friends didn't have their helmets either, thankyouohsomuch. She chuckled and said "Well, they didn't FALL. YOU did." So they loaded me up and in the ambulance she confessed to being a horse person herself.

At the hospital, I got LOTS of "Are you sure somebody didn't hurt you?" questions even after my DH showed up. I left with three stitches in my bottom lip and 6 stitches inside my mouth where my teeth cut my bottom lip. Somehow my arm was not broken.

I felt so bad for my DH when we went to the drug store to get my prescriptions and the pharmacist kept eyeballing him like a common criminal. DH never even raises his voice, and would never raise his hand to me! I truly looked a horrid mess though, with being not just sweaty, but now sweaty and covered in dirt, grass stains, and blood.
    Alis volat propriis.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    I assume someone found your horse and took care of her for you?
    She ran back to the barn. The barn owner saw her come back without me and knew something had happened, so she untacked the mare and was just about to look for me when the ambulance arrived. I should've known the silly mare would head for home and her boyfriend.

I trim feet, and I almost always end up with bruises on the inside of my thighs when a horse tries to pull away. I'm sure at some point that that will lead to some very awkward questions!
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

1 members found this post helpful.

Has anyone read all these stories (mine included!) and wondered what the hell is wrong with us?

It really make us sound completely insane to want to get back on a horse!

29 members found this post helpful.

I don't have a personal story, but one of a friend. I was ringmaster during a 4-H show. My friend was riding her horse in either Hunt Seat Eq on the flat or Hunter Under Saddle (can't remember which...its been that long). She just got a brand new hunt coat in a hunter green pinstripe. Well, something happened that spooked her horse and I turn around to see her hanging in mid-air about to crash into the ground. She landed on her shoulder hard enough for her to scream right after she hit the ground. Stop the class, see if she's ok to get up and walk out (thankfully she could walk), but she couldn't move her arm. So the EMTs are called to take her to the hospital, where she promptly tells them NOT to cut her jacket off! She somehow managed to get her jacket off with a broken collar bone. More power to her!

She did come back to the show and let everyone know she was ok, and that her jacket was in one piece.

Quote Originally Posted by PaintPony View Post
    Has anyone read all these stories (mine included!) and wondered what the hell is wrong with us?

It really make us sound completely insane to want to get back on a horse!
    Of course we are a little insane...but the only thing crazier than a horsewoman, is a horsewoman without a horse!

14 members found this post helpful.

When I was a kid, I had a naughty pony remove me by crawling under the gate to the arena and smacking me arm-first into said gate. He basically cantered on his belly under the gate. It was like a Looney Tunes scene. I broke the arm and had to go to the ER and wanted to make sure everybody knew that no, I did not fall off. I was scraped off.

My most embarassing ER visit isn't horse related. I decided to remove my own acrylic nails using cuticle clippers, and accidentally shot a sliver of clear fake fingernail into my eyeball. That was hard to explain to a male ER doctor.

4 members found this post helpful.

I've only had two trips to the ER ever and both were with broken collarbones. The first was when I was ~16 and my horse and I both fell jumping in my pasture/arena (all I had at the time), helmetless as we didn't wear them back then. I had gotten up, done the look around to see if anyone saw it (c'mon, I was 16!), and tried to get back on but the pain of raising my arm stopped me. Managed to get my horse back to the barn, tied him up and got my dad, who was in the house. He responded as all good dad's do when their daughter is hurt...called my mom at work to come deal with me and went out to take care of the horse!

It was a Saturday, late afternoon, and we had to go to the ER in an area of Portland where you don't want to be walking alone at night. Lots of scary people bleeding and screaming all over the waiting area. I would have had to wait longer, but when they just barely looked at me and touched my shoulder, I went white and passed out (I was told), so that got me in a lot faster! I think I was so scared of my surroundings, it made me hyper sensitive.

That time, I just broke the collarbone out near the end and it healed up well on its own. I was young and dumb so I rode in a jumping show a week later! We didn't have many shows to go to back then, so I was NOT going to miss it.

The second time, at 40+ years old, I don't remember. Bad fall from a bucking bronc. Along with the collarbone, I had a pretty bad concussion (and was wearing a helmet), some internal bleeding, and just generally banged up. Apparently, I am pretty funny while hurt and waiting for help, but I don't remember any of it! I even got to ride in the ambulance with the sirens on (something happened on the way, I was having trouble breathing or something, so they decided to hightail it -- totally freaked out my SO following). What I do remember is so surreal, I'm not sure how much really happened and how much was my addled brain.

Didn't recover so fast this time, and my shoulder still gives me fits at times, years later. Same one that I broke at 16, but totally different spot. The only good thing was it was my left and I am right handed.

I really hope not to do it again, but now that I type that, I figure I'm bound to. Things in 3s and all that...

3 members found this post helpful.

Ummm...one last year.

I was attempting to body clip a horse. Well she was crosstied...she backed up the halter broke and the clip split my lip from lip to the side of nose. Gushed blood every. Friend took me home and boyfriend took one look at my face and iced. went to the ER..they shushed him out and said ..did he hit you. I am like no..I really got hit by a flying horse halter.

5 members found this post helpful.

I was riding a horse named Notorious (go figure) who was known for stopping at jumps and was close to 17 hands. Well he sucked back to stop so I gave him a good whack with my crop and he jumped. When he landed he spun and bolted left while I continued straight. Problem was my right foot was stuck in the stirrup and acted as a slingshot to fling me into the ground directly on my right hip exactly where all of your leg/foot nerves are. I had the presence not to cuss because I could see a bunch of lesson kids staring at me with wide eyes. I just yelled it hurts it hurts don't touch me. Considering I usually popped up after a fall my trainer called 911. I stayed in my crumpled heap until they came when they worked out how to straighten me out and get me on a stretcher. They were nice enough to let my trainer take off my half chaps It did hurt so badly they had to basically put the stretched together underneath me b/c they couldn't roll me so they took a whole bunch of the indoor footing with me. As we're driving to the hospital the guy taking down my info who was super friendly was laughing at the dirt rolling off of me. I could literally see piles rolling off with each turn. Right before handing me off he said glad I'm not the rookie and pointed to the other guy and said he had to clean the ambulance that day. The nurses weren't nearly as thrilled with my trail of dirt through the hospital. Turns out nothing was broken just severly burised (bruised nerves suck) so I went home with painkillers. My regular doctor was hilarious because it was a week before I could make it to his office because I could barely move and when I showed him my bruise (middle of my back to my knees) all he could say was holy crap that's the biggest bruise I've seen. Anyways the butt stayed physically flattened for about 6 months and then was back to normal. My reg doctor was very understanding with horse accidents. I once stretched out a tendon and he was smart enough not to tell me to not ride just to ride without stirrups so I wouldn't stretch it out more. When I went in with a bruised rib from snowboarding he just told me not to take up skydiving I already did enough dangerous sports lol.

Nothing like being run over by a miniature horse to get the ER laughing. It's one thing to be run over by a mighty 16hh beast in full gallop. Whole nother thing to be run over by a horse that's not even 3ft tall. I also failed leading a horse 101 to earn such an trip as well. friend was riding the mini and I was leading the mini and not really paying attention to where I was going. I stumbled over my own damn feet, spooked the mini who decided to turn into a bronc on top of my prone body. Got all four feet all over my back, kicked in the head, and then dragged when my fingers instinctively wouldn't let go of the rope. Friend is freaking out and manages to safely stop and get off the mini. (She didn't check on me thinking surely I was fine!) Trainer ran over when she saw the dashing mini and take care of mini. They get the horse untacked and her checked over and realize I still haven't moved. Called the ambulance and I came to in the ER. Concussion, cracked ribs, dislocated shoulder and gorgeous bruising all over in the shape of tiny hooves. Explaining that no it wasn't a huge horse but a tiny horse that did all the damage was always fun.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

9 members found this post helpful.

she insisted that the pull - not cut - off her boots
    If you absolutely cannot stand the boots being pulled off, instruct the medical personnel to just run a scalpel along the back seam of the boot. Done carefully (and let's hope they're careful, as it's your drumstick under there), a shoemaker can stitch your boots back together.

I spent twelve hours in the Kern County hospital ER in Bakersfield after I got dragged while LEADING my horse. He spooked and I hung on for dear life instead of letting go (a lifetime of never wanting to be left afoot out in the toolies). Hanging on sent me under his front feet and then his back feet. Somewhere along the way I finally let go.

The horse was still confined in the arena so he was fine, but everyone insisted I should go to the hospital via ambulance. They scooped me up on a backboard, along with a generous amount of gravelly arena footing. I rolled around on the gravel like it was BBs, all the way to the highway, on a very rough driveway that was a couple miles long but seemed like about a hundred that day. Whenever I'd skid off to one side, the EMT would push me back into the middle on the rolling rocks.

At the hospital, everyone was shocked, "Was this your OWN horse that did this to you?

Fortunately I had no spinal injuries, just some cracked ribs and a lot of bruises. The bad part was that the place was so busy that no one had time to okay my leaving. They just kept pushing my gurney farther and farther into corners and back rooms. When I saw someone wheeled by with a pair of scissors sticking out of the crown of their head, I told my husband to GET ME OUT OF HERE NOW! He went to the main desk and finally got a nurse to pull my catheter and a doctor to sign the paperwork.

I told the people at the barn that next time I would prefer just to lie in the arena until I felt better.
    “Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.”
    Drew Carey

My husband managed to disconcert the surgeon on one
    visit. Husband was putting hay into the barn and the chain
    on the conveyor started to jump off the gear. Without
    thinking he started to push it back with his finger. We
    drove to the local hospital and the nurse removing the
    dressing said to the hand doctor who had just finished with
    a patient "Doctor, I don't think you can leave just yet."
    As MD was preparing to deal with the wound, husband
    and I are chatting if only the vet had let us have some
    lidocaine, we could have taken care of this ourselves.
    MD says this is going to require stitches. Oh, we have a
    surgical stapler from vet. But husband will need antibiotic.
    Lots of penicillin available at farm store. But he is going
    to have to remove some bone from the end of finger.
    Well, the bolt cutter could do that surely. We finally
    admitted we were kidding, but I am still not sure he
    believed us. He did know farmers well; he put a huge
    bandage on the hand. Husband complained he could not
    do chores with that. Exactly, said MD.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

3 members found this post helpful.

My fiance and I had decided once and for all after a very long on and off again relationship to just call it quits. On very good terms. Like woke up, had coffee, talked, decided. All that was left was to load up his horse and send him on his way.

When we got to the farm he said, "Well, this is probably your last chance to ride him (the gelding). Want to take a spin?"

Me? Sure. Yeah! Hell yeah!

So I tacked up, got on, warmed up, yada yada. Took him around our short home course. Lovely jumper this one. As I was completing my courtesy circle with a big smile on my face, he seemed to trip and it felt like he was going down and over. I bailed--my first and only elective dismount. Well, I held onto the reins as we were out in a huge field. I did the ol' tuck and roll as I'd been taught, but he regained his footing and as such, yanked the reins which yanked my hand so while I bailed with a smile and a laugh, I landed with a crunch.

My dear exFiance was all "Are you okay? OMG, are you okay?"

And me, in my best Darth Vadar voice said, "Take him to the barn, untack, I will meet you there."

"Are you okay??? Seriously, OMG?"

"GO. TO. THE BARN.....UNTACK the HORSE..."

I walked back to the barn and on my hands and knees (as I was going into shock) called my best girlfriend nearby, explained that I was pretty sure I had broken my arm, asked if we could drop the dogs and the horse trailer at their house while we went to the ER.

We did. I was rather new to the area and DF didn't know the area at all. So on the way to the hospital in the BIG BOUNCY TRUCK we ran into a detour. I could SEEEEEEEE the hospital but we couldn't GET there and I thought I was going to pass out for sure. I started crying at that point.

When we got to the ER, every person that I encountered asked how I had done it. I was wearing breeches, tall boots, a shirt with HORSES ON IT and had a helmet. LOL

The radiology tech turned out to be a horse guy himself so he was really cool. But long and short the funny part of this story (to me) was that they were so short on beds that they couldn't set my arm under general as they had no beds--unless I wanted to wait for many hours. Asked if I thought I could just do it with some versed on board.

So I did. I pretty much hit on every single doctor. No joke. Called my exfiance by old boyfriends names, the whole nine yards.

Bless his heart, he stayed with me and took care of me for several weeks after that and the surgery. I now have a plate and 8 screws in that arm. But I will never forget having to go back for my recheck sheepishly having been informed by my exF that I had flat out hit on the surgeon and not very discreetly.

Got an IT contract out of that though. LOL Ended up getting contracted to work on the patient database for that orthopedic office.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

2 members found this post helpful.

Not myself, but someone on here, posted a few years back about their barn accident. It seems they had slipped on ice (I think) and fell on a shovel. While it doesn't sound too horrible, they apparently had their lady bits land on the shovel and had to get them stitched up in the ER.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

1- Riding BO's horse at a show. Horse could be an A$$ sometimes. Is jumping the hunter jumps so nicely. Get a bad distance he says ok then decides not ok...stops jumps sideways. Get my pinky finger stuck in his braids and it snaps. First bone I have ever broken in my horse riding career. After initial freakout, keep telling trainer that I can show. She makes friend take me to ER. Sit there for a good 2 hours, finaly get seen and they tell me definately broken but the swelling put it back into place. Still recommended that I see an orthopedic surgeon. Go in to see surgeon and he looks over x-rays and I have shattered it in 3 places. A week later I am having surgery to put a screw in my pinky.

2- About 2 years after the above incident...had a large chunk of my hand bitten off by a horse. Horse had some issues while in his stall. Had bitten several people before. This particular day he was not in his stall and had reached out the 4"X4" feed hole and grabbed a fly bonnett. I not thinking went to grab the fly bonnett from him. He then dropped it and grabbed the outside of my hand. Immediately applied pressure and put hands over my head, and started to get hysterical. Then realized that there were kids around for lessons and pulled it together. Ambulance was called(i told person who called them to call back and have them turn off sirens when entering barn). Get to ER and it was bad. EMTs had wrapped my hand in dry gause. Other than nitrous gas they would not give me pain killers until the DR showed up. Then when Dr gets there I tell story he pulls off the DRIED on gauze I then proceed to clear out the ER I am sure with my screams. Dr then asks where I would prefer the skin graft either from thigh or butt. I at this point was not very happy. and asked him how long I was going to be on my Butt. He replied with about 2 weeks and I responded then why would I want it from my butt. Hand has healed very well still have a huge scar. But it does indeed make a great story.
    Victor Pony

Default Didn't happen to me (yet)

A friend of mine was trotting along the wall on her huge WB mare. Another rider, not giving right-of-way, caused a near-collision that made the mare skid to a stop and jerk her head back.

Mare's neck caught my friend in the face and knocked out both front teeth.

She was back on the horse within days. And her front teeth were replaced with, we all agree, much nicer-looking fakes.

My mare and I managed to swim through a grid last fall. She got tangled and came down, I got catapulted and landed on all fours - head never touched the ground. Two days later I finally admitted there was something beyond a sprain in my right wrist and went to the ER... the Dr kept asking if I'd been wearing a helmet. Not sure if he didn't believe you could come off a horse without hitting your head, or that it was symptomatic of hitting your head when it takes two days to go to the ER

Of course, he was so concerned about my head he missed the fact that I had dislocated bones in my hand that took another week to find (he put me in a splint for a sprained wrist)... by which point it took surgery complete with plates and screws to stabilize the whole thing...
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

I sent one of the barn kids to the ER with a Hampa boot on her wrist because I was pretty sure it was broken. It was. Apparently the doctors thought the boot was an awesome idea, and everyone in the ER got to examine it.

5 members found this post helpful.

Wow! Lots of war stories here!

I hd a few ER visits. Mostly garden-variety. Dirty bleeding person waiting for stitches or cast. Got bucked off and tlescoped my arm, breaking both lower arm bones in several pieces as well as some wrist bones. Passed out twice before getting to ER with bulap sling and half a ton of dirt.

My most interesting was probably when a friends horse unexpectedly flung its head down and then back, hitting me squarely in the nose. Once I managed to get off and wiped the blood out of my eyes, friend was all upset asking me what I needed. I got cleaned up and asked for ice in a cloth. Being a mom, she gave me ice in a Sesame Street washcloth. Being English she made me tea. I realized the open cut on my nose needed stitches. She wanted to drive me, but that would mean bringing the kids. So I drove myself. First Urgent Care didnt take my insurance. So I found one that did after driving peering around the washcloth held to my nose. By now my eyes were starting to swell.
    As I sit in the waiting room, I am getting concerned looks from the other patients. Nurse comes out before I finish the paperwork and takes me to a room and even takes away the paperwork. "How did this happen?" "We can help you stay safe" (Nice to know the concern and safeguards are there, although misplaced in my case) I try to explain but nobody I tell the story to seems to understand how you can do this much damage and not fall off the horse. X-ray shows it was broken. Cut takes several stiches.
    Next day I am doing a raccoon impression with two black eyes and a huge bandaged nose. I go to work and they are appalled that I am there. I get the most urgent work done and head home to nurse my aching head and face! I didnt waste any more sick days for this. Good thing I am not too sensitive about my apearance!