The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Updated: Picture link inside. Del Mar Dressage Show

OK: Here are some random pictures: http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/ri...?sort=3&page=1

Del Mar National Dressage Show…amazing.

I really can’t put into words (from me? Ha!) how amazing and relaxing of a time I had this weekend. It was such an incredibly needed respite…truly re-energizing. As soon as I stepped off the plane in San Diego, I was so relaxed, so excited, etc. The hotel upgraded me to the largest suite they had for some unknown reason (maybe I looked like I needed it!), and I had a really cool rental car (little Jeep Patriot). Seriously, the little things really add up!

I was in absolute awe. The horses were stunning. The weather was perfect. The atmosphere was so relaxing for me as a spectator. I went from ring to ring and took hundreds of pictures of these beautiful horses. I was very surprised at how down to earth people seemed. Truly.

I met up with a wonderful dressage person from Tucson whom I’ve talked to and met before who knows many people and is very knowledgeable about dressage and showing. She was so much fun to hang out with! We went to dinner at this great Mexican restaurant right across from the ocean, so we were able to see the sunset. Beautiful. On Friday she introduced me to her trainer and friends, who kindly included me in their discussions all weekend and dinner on Friday night. It was so cool to sit with a judge (several, actually), and hear someone critique as the riders went! I found that the higher the level, the better I was at “guessing” the score. At the GP, I was usually within 1 point of guessing the final score! First through PSG, yeah, not so much. I guess it’s easier to watch the tricks. Another really cool thing was that this trainer and most of the women with her know my horse!! The wonderful woman who trained him knows all of them. I also met up with a few trainers and riders here in my area who were incredibly kind and welcoming. I feel like they are people I’d seek out at shows to say hi and watch their rides…very nice individuals. I basically looked at the day sheets for all four arenas and went from arena to arena watching rides. I could have stayed forever. Never got bored. Never tired of watching.

Friday night one of my barnmates drove in, and we spent Saturday and Sunday morning at the show together before she drove home. Saturday night we had dinner in Del Mar at this great crepe place in the town, then went to watch the freestyle – Rafalca, Coral Reef Wylea, and the Canadian horse…can’t remember…but a gorgeous pair. I’ve decided that I want Guenter Seidel’s seat. That man doesn’t MOVE. He makes it look like the horse is doing all of this on her own!! Rafalca was a treat – I saw her doing the trot (what is this called? Where they do the soundness trot?) and had no idea who she was, but I knew she had presence. REAL presence. Then I learned that she was Rafalca. Makes sense. Ravel’s retirement ceremony was very nice. The video they made for the occasion was pretty neat. My favorite part was listening to them talk about his arrival in the US, his behavior immediately following that, and his subsequent gelding. What a beautiful, beautiful horse. It was a very touching ceremony with not many dry eyes.

Also met with the CS saddle fitter who wants to work hard to get us the right saddle for horse and for me. I’m very hopeful – we are going to start over from scratch.

I am going to upload some of my pictures, and I luckily got some great ones.

The warm-up ring was INSANE. I’d have to have a glass of wine before I’d ever go in there. Holy moly. That’s all I need to say about that. I think I’d rather ride without a warm up than deal with that.

On Thursday before dinner we went to Mary’s Tack and a used tack shop. Mary’s was so cool!! I did try on the helmet that so many people are talking about…can’t remember the name…supposed to be the best for very hot climates…but I did forget to try on the cooling vests. I need to get one of those asap and would love recommendations or if someone has a used one I could buy…

Oh! Funny…Thursday seemed to be the “I forgot my test” day – from amazing riders! Friday was the worst day for spooking – I swear, in the San Diego arena, there was some kind of monster between C and H. I think it was the plastic “window” on the judge’s box that the wind was blowing. I saw some horse moves that I thought belonged only to cats. Repeatedly. Riders really stuck it, however. VERY impressive. Someone (Susan Martin? Christine Martin? I can’t remember) riding either a black or a very dark bay was AMAZING. I thought her horse was going to either combust or lie flat on the ground. The horses didn't seem like they were being silly; they seemed truly frightened of whatever was scaring them. Saturday the horses seemed to break often – mostly in extended trot – many broke into canter. Sunday seemed somewhat low key. But the other days really seemed to have themes!! I don't know what I was thinking...but until this show I believed that every horse at the upper level was beyond spooking and silly horse antics. Wow, was I wrong!

I fell in love with a few horses. Vinterpol was one – Sarah Lockman, I think? I met his owner as well – apparently she rides him a few times a week at the lower levels, and Sarah CLEANED UP in I-2 (I think that was the level). What a great horse – gorgeous mover and seemed so level headed!

I couldn’t wait to get home to my boy, and stopped at the barn on the way home from the airport. Truly, I had no desire to ride any of these other horses. Well, maybe Vinterpol, because he looked very sane. But I am so happy riding my boy at my level and learning with him, and I do really love his canter jump . I rode today after trainer rode, but only for a few minutes. It’s been sixteen days since I got sick and I’m still not completely better. Lots of shortness of breath and coughing, but that will go away soon. It’s amazing how much stamina I’ve lost in just two weeks.

No real comments on specific horses and riders...they were all beautiful.

I am looking forward to Devon...this was truly one of the most fun, re-energizing weekends I've ever had. I'm so glad I went.
    Last edited by right horse at the right time; Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:28 PM.
    LarkspurCO: no horse's training is complete until it can calmly yet expressively perform GP in stadium filled w/chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys w/bottle rockets...

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by right horse at the right time View Post
    Saturday night....went to watch the freestyle – Rafalca, Coral Reef Wylea, and the Canadian horse…can’t remember…but a gorgeous pair.
    Canadian horse was Don Daiquiri (Don Cardinale x Miracolo xx) ridden by Kathy Pavicic. Scored 71%.

Rafalca was terrific in the freestyle and received the highest score ever for that class at Del Mar: 76.125% (past winners include Ravel)

The GP Freestyle and Ravel's retirement really made it a special evening, with 3 Olympians and 2 Olympic horses in the house.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Yes! Thanks! Gorgeous horse! Rafalca has amazing presence...does she always get so...excited...during the awards ceremony? Did you compete? PM me if you want I have tons of pictures of random horses...
    LarkspurCO: no horse's training is complete until it can calmly yet expressively perform GP in stadium filled w/chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys w/bottle rockets...

I've never seen Rafalca calm at awards. I was at the exit to the ring at Gladstone when they were taking her picture with the foam fingers, and she was standing there doing mini-Levades the whole time.

yup - that's what she was doing the whole time. She has incredible strength!!

Sounds like a great time! I'm wondering if it was my trainer and my saddler you met up with Was one Dutch and one British?

nope but I'm sure I ran into them...have you relocated now? where are you? PM me

1 members found this post helpful.

PM sent, right horse

The tests from some of those horses brought tears to my eyes, especially Ravel's retirement ceremony
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~

Heehee, that's funny...I had this nagging feeling that I should look at the gallery you posted. Turns out the rider in the photo after the sunset shot is a former working student of mine who was competing with two young horses at the show! She moved from East coast to West coast when she took on her current job
    Horses don't lie.

no way! Let me check it out and figure out which horse and rider - I can email you or her the pics or make a DVD for you or her... I have so many more photos; these were just a few of my favorites. I literally have well over a thousand pics. My arm was too tired to keep going

OK - I have a few shots of her. I think she rode a 4 year old (or 6?) as well...but I don't know if I took photos of that (unless this is the horse)...let me check. PM me.

Yes, that horse is the stallion...I believe he is the younger. The mare she rode is older and apparently was very naughty this round.
    Horses don't lie.

What was the mare's name? I was careful to not take pics when horses were naughty...felt bad for the riders. And there were definitely more than a few naughty horses
    Last edited by right horse at the right time; Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:11 AM.

Dora
    Horses don't lie.

OK fatwhitepony - I have over a hundred pics of that ride - I think it was perhaps Thursday afternoon? You see, I am partial to cute bays with white chrome, as I had to leave mine at home I'm happy to burn them to a CD for her.
    Last edited by right horse at the right time; Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:22 AM.

Your pictures are amazing! You've got a real talent there

Thanks! It's pretty difficult to get a bad picture of ANY of these horses and riders

They are drool-worthy!

fatwhitepony - I didn't see your "Dora" response before I posted - I will have to look to see if I have her. But the bay - probably more pics of that ride than any other!