The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Spinoff: Young'uns and Greenies, class of 2013, check in!

So as not to take away from the Future Eventing Superstars born in 2013 thread... I thought it was about time for a roll call for those of us with those 3-5 year olds that are just getting started in eventing. What hidden talent do you have lurking in the back barn?

Mine isn't quite ready yet, he's a June 2010 model and though I've officially "sat" on him about three times, he isn't even close to mature enough physically to be started under saddle. Mentally, he's fantastic - very level headed and curious, very coordinated and catty and a nice mover.

As mentioned, he's a 2010 model, by Oldenburg Ironman out of a lovely TB mare, La Sirenita (who happens to have Pleasant Colony through Lac Ouimet as her damsire, one of my favorite lines!). I squeal like a little kid every day when I see his ever-changing, gawky little face in my backyard. I have to remind myself frequently that good things come to those who wait and don't plan to start him until at least late summer (and even then only lightly).

Who else? I know there are lots of babies, greenies, and new OTTB's in your barns this season, so let's hear all about it. Breeding, goals for the year, plans for the future - a place to brag a bit.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

1 members found this post helpful.

I just bought (well, in March) a 4 year old Trakehner cross gelding. His sire was ATA Preliminary Horse of the Year, and he's had several full and half siblings that have excelled at the lower levels, including winning Area championships and finishing in the ribbons at AECs.

My guy still has a ton of growing and maturing to do, but seems to have the right attitude. His story is a bit unusual - he was an orphan, and spent his first few months thinking he was human, but his owner/breeder did a great job of sending him out with other horses as soon as he was ready, so he gets along well with other horses as well as being very friendly with people without being pushy. He actually jumped the Prelim ditch at Flying Cross on his own at 5 months old, following his human mom!

He's still less than 2 dozen rides under saddle, but he's doing really well so far and has a fabulous canter. So far he's gone over pretty much anything I've pointed him at, although he's still too immature to really start jumping, so a lot of it has been in-hand. I'm pretty excited about his future!

I've got a pair of hombres 4yos, a filly by Palladio out of a wonderful TB mare Lizzie's Hero, (who sadly died when this filly was 3weeks old), and a gelding by a now gelded Pablo son out of a Pik Solo mare. They are both physically a bit immature, so the filly is doing her first schooling dressage show next weekend, and the gelding is hacking and doing flatwork and trying to remember how many feet he has. But we're super excited about both of them!
    Phoenix Farm ~ Breeding-Training-Sales
    Eventing, Dressage, Young Horses
    www.phoenixsporthorses.com
    Check out my new blog: http://califcountrymom.blogspot.com

Well, my guy is 6 but I will chime in. Introduced here:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...-project-horse.

Last raced in October, in training with Sara Gumbiner. Went with her to Aiken and did lots of schooling. He has a great mind and really wants to please. He entered his first starter trial Sunday and was perfectly behaved, finished on his dressage score for second place at Intro level. The judge commented that he is a nice prospect and "a great job developing him". I am very proud of him and Sara.

Edited to add some schooling pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	belle_dressage_2.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	38058   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	belle_dressage.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	38059   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	belle_jump.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	38060   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	belle water.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	38061  
    Last edited by kcmel; Apr. 29, 2013 at 09:54 PM.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

I have two 2010 models. One full TB gray filly and one chestnut filly (TB/WB). Will be starting them this summer. I don't have any good pictures but both should be nice prospects. The chestnut we will start at home....the gray filly is semi feral....having a good cowboy coming in to get her going

I have two 2012 ones that I'm REALLY excited about too. need to get pictures of everyone....
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I've got a 2008 model who is about 90 days into retraining off the track at this point. He is aiming for his first recognized event at BN at King Oak in the fall, but we will see how this summer plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post

I have two 2012 ones that I'm REALLY excited about too. need to get pictures of everyone....
    Yes, I need to see pictures of all these up-and-comers!

Heinz your baby is very nice! An acquaintance of mine just bred his TB mare to Ironman, will have to tell him how nice yours is!

I bought a 2009 gelding in January - who turned 4 on Friday! I got on him beginning of March, and while I've jumped him a little, mostly just doing basics on the flat and hacking. He's grown quite a bit in the short time I've owned him and he has lots of opinions about stuff so taking it very slow lol.

I intend to work on self loading next week so we can start to ship out for hacks where there are hunt jumps and do some prep for some schooling shows. Start doing some schooling shows end of June or so, glad for all the C rated hunter shows here.

I'd like to take him to FEH/YEH @ Scarlet Hill in August for the 4 yr old class, will depend on how far along he is. If not, make our recognized debut in the fall sometime.

I'll try to remember to get new pics later this week & will update.

My son's 5 yr old is going Pretraining this year - they did some entry events and Canadian Young Event Horse Competitions last year.

Here is her profile - she is related to Cool Mountain - the 2010 Rolex winner ridden by WFP
    http://www.prospectequinefarms.com/horses/allie.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Judysmom View Post
    Heinz your baby is very nice! An acquaintance of mine just bred his TB mare to Ironman, will have to tell him how nice yours is!
    Well, thank you. The credit for his breeding goes to a fellow COTH'er, a neighbor of mine, he's a product of her breeding program. He's a bit of a late bloomer, but should mature into one gorgeous hunk o' horseflesh by the time he's 7 or 8 (or so). Can't beat the temperament - VERY laid back, travels well, just takes everything in stride.

kcmel, that is a nice looking gelding! Not your average TB build!

Wonderful up-and-coming youngsters on this thread! I'm looking forward to seeing them in person! (Remember... Five Points HT at CHP will be offering FEH/YEH/NEH in September this year! Last chance to qualify for the 2013 championships! )

Youngsters abound at JMP. JER's Star Colony is coming along beautifully, and is by far a rising star. He will be out-and-about this spring and summer. He just discovered the beauty of alfalfa hay, so hopefully we'll have some more full curves soon. (ACME, please come ride the handsome gubba! )

Also in work is a 2010 American WB (Oldenburg/Appaloosa) stallion, HBF Limited Edition. Fritz's leopard print is incredibly novel, and his laidback personality is divine. He has started full work under saddle (w/t/c, hacking/trails, small little boxes), and will be doing the FEH this year. He isn't breeding yet, but he has many high-quality traits that he will pass on to his offspring.

Another in training is Guinness, a 4yo Oldenburg gelding by Gatsby. This is the much-loved "midget warmblood," who appears to have topped out at 15.1h. I've given short-stirrup lessons to kids on him, and he'll happy pack around a crossrail course. Either he'll be an amateur's dream horse, or he'll evolve into a small mini-WB eventer. Laid-back mind with a naughty, troublemaking flare... perfection.

Indian Summer Toolie O'Toole is a 5yo Connemara gelding. He just sold to a hunter/jumper family in Florida, but I'm hoping to let him dabble in YEH 'til he moves south. If he was one hand taller, he'd be a team horse. Handy, brave, and stunningly brilliant.

I was just given a 2008 OTTB mare, as her owner and rider were not comfortable with her anymore. Physically perfect, elegant, and stylish. Mentally brave and independent. Sensitive and intermittently fractious. Enormous potential, with her eyes speaking volumes about heart and soul. Could be a long shot, or could be amazing. (I don't have pictures of her yet, but this was the CANTER mare "Yourteepeeormine." I believe there are pics of her online somewhere.)

JMP also has some lovely youngsters in training-- a couple OTTBs, and most notably, a beautiful 2008 (I believe?) TB/Trakehner who is absolutely lovely! Mike just started competing him, and it is going very well. (His owner is on these boards, so maybe she'll chime in with further info and pics. )

It is going to be a wonderful year!

My 5 yr old OTTB that I bought to breed, just won her first BN schooling event this weekend, finishing on her dressage score of 28.6. Will do a couple more BN, then move up to novice.
    My 3 yr old by Mighty Magic out of my Intermediate mare is getting a refresher course in go,turn and stop. Hope to have him put hacking around later this summer. Very excited about him as well!

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

I'm going to chime in anyway because I am really looking forward to getting my greenie out in the eventing world. She's 9 but hasn't done much of anything to date. She raced a couple times then became the owner's "pet" and while she'd pull her out to go to a local hunter show or something, there was NOTHING consistent about her training. We took her back to square one. Last weekend we did a hunter show and while NOT a hunter in that slow lopey kind of way, I was so proud of her! We have a lesson with Joe Meyer Thursday evening... will be going XC schooling at KHP on Tuesday (our first XC schooling together)... and have sent in our entries for the event derby at LAZ's place next weekend. She's by Canvas out of Can Cun Beach (a His Majesty granddaughter). She's very smart, tries her heart out to understand what she is supposed to do, has become quite the pocket pony since we've been working her regularly, LOVES to jump (has yet to refuse anything) and is a very nicely put together mare. Going to try to get her to some mini trials this year before we decide if we're going to keep her or put her back on the market. https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...35837013_n.jpg
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

My filly is a 2009 model and will turn 4 in June, her name is Fast Lanie GSF and is by Weltstern (gorgeous old OLD lines) out of an American TB named Lightning Lulu. I started her last summer and was thrilled with how forward, balanced, and willing she was. We had a few crazy moments but my trainer and I took things very slowly and ended the season on a very good note. I gave Lanie the winter off and just started her back in early April (winter leaves late in Maine!). She's taken to long lining beautifully and my trainer and I will get her back under saddle next week. I had hoped to get her out more but my finances took a hit due to the IRS so no truck is in the budget until at least October. For now, I'm planning on tons of trails and will add poles and small jumps later in the summer. I can't wait to finally get this filly on the xc field! I have a feeling she's going to be very special. She has that look and that personality...not to mention the balance.

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/...psdcaa5cc9.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    Yes, I need to see pictures of all these up-and-comers!
    As soon as we have some decent weather and TIME Unfortunately my super nice Graf yearling (by Grafenstolz out of my nice TB mare) has been trying to kill himself. He has vets stumped as to what is wrong with him (LOTS of top vets--no answers ugh). We've tested him out the wazzo, ultrasounded every square inch including a rectal ultra sound....and did a bone scan (with a soft tissue pictures). Nada. Whatever it is it is strange, unusual and unfortunately, painful. He starts a new round of antibiotics now (treating for an internal abscess that maybe we just haven't found). Very sad and hoping we can figure it out as I love the little bugger. They are heart breakers! So not sure I will take new pictures of him until he is better but here he was when he was with his mama last year--he has only gotten prettier with age.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7602.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	38070   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sales_galileo.1.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	179.1 KB 
ID:	38071  
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by Glenbaer View Post

Also in work is a 2010 American WB (Oldenburg/Appaloosa) stallion, HBF Limited Edition. Fritz's leopard print is incredibly novel, and his laidback personality is divine. He has started full work under saddle (w/t/c, hacking/trails, small little boxes), and will be doing the FEH this year. He isn't breeding yet, but he has many high-quality traits that he will pass on to his offspring.
    I've been jealous of JER's Star Colony ever since she bought him - I just love those Pleasant Colony horses, my TB gelding is out of a PC-bred mare.

But this guy above, I WANT ONE! Will have to keep an eye on him and scout for future broodies to put with him someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    I've been jealous of JER's Star Colony ever since she bought him - I just love those Pleasant Colony horses, my TB gelding is out of a PC-bred mare.

But this guy above, I WANT ONE! Will have to keep an eye on him and scout for future broodies to put with him someday.
    As you know I love him, too. I want a PC stallion to get approved Trakehner to breed to my filly someday...

I had someone asking about my gelding's breeding at our clinic this weekend (also, can you say superstar mellow?!) and I gave all credit to the PC side. He could JUMP, too, but I have a feeling it was just due to his experiences early on he simply didn't enjoy x-country.

Speaking of, since she's not an eventing prospect I'm not posting her here, but Heinz I posted my 2010 baby on your facebook page.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

We have a beautiful 3 yr old gelding by As di Villagana, the Grand Prix jumper, out of a TB jumper mare, currently in training with Bobby Meyerhoff who will do at least one FEH this summer and be prepared for the YEH next year. I'm very excited about getting him out and about!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXr-kR8YaYM

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Diane Halpin/Laurel Leaf Hanoverians: Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by netg View Post
    As you know I love him, too. I want a PC stallion to get approved Trakehner to breed to my filly someday...

I had someone asking about my gelding's breeding at our clinic this weekend (also, can you say superstar mellow?!) and I gave all credit to the PC side. He could JUMP, too, but I have a feeling it was just due to his experiences early on he simply didn't enjoy x-country.

Speaking of, since she's not an eventing prospect I'm not posting her here, but Heinz I posted my 2010 baby on your facebook page.
    I saw that, she's adorable!

I do NOT do this crazy eventing thing - I have this strong phobia of jumping anymore, but for some reason most of my babies end up in eventing homes... so here are a few that I have bred and sold and I'm super excited about (esp the first two Tater Tots that are now going under saddle!!!!!!).

Laugh out Loud - 2010 colt by Tate out of Lovely Lady by Tizian. Here is his video of him free jumping himself on Dec 31, 2012: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XikzzV_EfIM. His new owner saw him that day on an unplanned visit to Andrew's farm and bought him soon after . He is now started under saddle - here is a video of him on his 6th time ever under saddle, and first time cantering under saddle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcc_yOxP14M And a couple of photos of him.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps0dc0ef16.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...psf39dc84a.jpg

I'm very very happy and proud. "Tot" is the first of Tate's kids under saddle and gives me good hope for what he is producing

I had another 2010 Filly that I recently sold to Katie Wooten Bryant. Pajama Party (by Impressionist out of Pennant's Valentine by Pennant) She is super excited about her future and plans on doing the YEH next year with her. She did do a schooling in hand show recently and scored an 82%. She was started by Katie's mom while Katie was pregnant and apparently has been SUPER easy and is now comfortably walk/trot/canter. No video, but here is a photo:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...psb1b0cec5.jpg

Last but not least of my "event types" is the 3/4 sister to Pajama Party. Pearl Jam (she shows under Pearl Hailo) is a 2008 mare by Emerald Impressions out of Pennant's Valentine by Pennant (Emerald Impressions is by Impressionist). She was actually bought by her owner last year, but they took about 8 months off to just finish growing up and getting to know each other with just light hacks out, so she is really only "started" and really doing stuff since last Aug/Sept. She started showing BN in Jan of this year and has qualified for AECs at that level. More importantly, since starting her eventing career she has only had one stop XC and that was a spook sideways (and past the jump) at someone standing in a truck at her first event. She has usually made time too Her owner is moving her up to Novice week after next and they are schooling Training level jumps. SUPER excited about this filly! Photos from her first event (that was just in Jan of this year!!!)

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps2e4f0792.jpg (first time leaving the start box ever! )

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps38c0f2a9.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps174f5871.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...psdf3f4fd2.jpg

And just because netg mentioned her, and I bred her also (from the class of 2010) here is a photo of Emerald Ice (Ellie) taken a few months before netg became her lucky owner!

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps5c411109.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...psb583657f.jpg
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!