The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Clipper help needed

I have the big Oster body clippers; they're about 15 years old and have clipped about 12 horses total. I put them away for about 10 years and got them out last fall. Again this spring. So not used a lot but "old".

Something isn't right. The housing gets too hot to hold and the bottom of the clipper blade (the horse side) gets pretty darn hot. This heat comes after about 10 minutes of use. Then they won't clip well either. I did his shoulder and chest the other day and it turned out great. Daughter had done her horse a few days prior with a different set of blades. Today, I tried to do more clipping and got just one side of his ribs done nice. The other side is a hack job.

Do I need new clippers? Is it worth it to have these reconditioned? All the blades were sharpened this spring by a sharpening business used by most of the Morgan owners in the area...so not a Mickey Mouse outfit.

Advice?
    Ride like you mean it.

Have you taken the blades off, pulled off the "square" on the drive shaft, cleaned everything out really really well, and oiled at the appropriate parts? If that does not work, then google oster and find a dealer that will check them out. Those clippers are too expensive to give up on. I have used mine for the past 16 years, many times a year, and they are still working well.
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

1 members found this post helpful.

Send them out and ask for an estimate on how much it'll cost.

Parts might not be available, it might cost more then they're worth to fix, or you might hear back that it's a easy, cheap fix.

You won't know until someone qualified gets a good look at the clippers.

clean ALL hair out and new set of blades. also, you can take them apart..... theres a front half and back half and repack with new grease.

puddin is right.... hair gets wadded up and causes problems

Thanks...will be taking then "to part", as my toddler daughter used to say, tomorrow. Mr. Ez is very handy and has been dying for permission to get in there and take a look.

Thanks.
    Ride like you mean it.

My 10+ year old Oster clippers randomly started making loud snapping/clicking noises last year. I thought the noises were scaring the horses, but it wasn't - they were SHOCKING the horses!!

I called the company and sent them back. They fixed them free of charge and they work great now. May be worth a call, and at least sending them back for basic servicing.