The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle hell update :)

I met with the saddle fitter from CS this weekend at Del Mar, and we are going to start over. Fitter will come to the barn and we will revisit everything. Fitter and CS want to make this work, and I am hopeful.

I sat on some saddles at the show (not on a real live moving horse). I don't think I EVER was sitting on my seatbones in the saddle I ordered. I was sitting on my crotch the whole time. Explains a lot. We shall see what happens on my live horse.

Sheilah, BUY that saddle that you love!!!
    LarkspurCO: no horse's training is complete until it can calmly yet expressively perform GP in stadium filled w/chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys w/bottle rockets...

1 members found this post helpful.

Good luck! My gelding is a hard to fit horse. It is so difficult to find a saddle that is a good for both horse and rider.

It is good that they are willing to keep working to get it right.
    Sheilah
    P.S. I have already put the wheels in motion! A Lemke will be MIIIIINE! I am not sure how yet, but it will happen.

CS wanted to make it work for me too. Nine months later I started over with Trilogy who got it right the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by atlatl View Post
    CS wanted to make it work for me too. Nine months later I started over with Trilogy who got it right the first time.
    Uh oh. I'm hoping for a different outcome...it's been 6 months now since the beginning...

I'm really sorry you had to go through that...yikes.

Are you happy with your Trilogy?
    LarkspurCO: no horse's training is complete until it can calmly yet expressively perform GP in stadium filled w/chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys w/bottle rockets...

I have had the same experience with my new horse's saddle. I had one made by Custom Saddlery that KILLS my back. Have tried several off the rack and used saddles. Finally broke down and I'm having a Hennig rep out from Germany to take measures for a custom saddle. Pricey but I'm at a point that I will pay just about anything to ride in a saddle that's comfortable for me and my pony!

Here is the thing about custom saddles; no matter who makes them nobody-that I am aware of-makes the tree custom, even on full custom saddles. The tree is what determines how the seat is oriented for the rider and how the saddle is actually positioned on the horses back.

To make finding the right saddle easier, you need to get an idea of what kind of tree works best for you and your horse and go from there.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

nhwr, good point about trees all being "stock" models, even on bench-made (aka "custom") saddles. The tree can be strained a little differently, or a tree can be made with a more built-up cantle, or the placement of the stirrup bars can be altered, and this will effect the way it rides to a degree. But it is the rigid frame of the saddle, and needs to be basically correct for the horse and rider, in width and shape as well as in type (hoop vs. standard).