The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Curse You Saddle Gods! Curse You!

I had a lesson this afternoon and had asked my instructor to bring her saddle for me to ride in. My friend, who also takes lessons with this instructor, had been telling me to ride in this saddle and I have kind of tuned her out.

But I figured why not try it, so I did. And I fell in love! Oh.My.God. I had no idea that a saddle could be so...so...perfect. So lovely. So comfortable. So perfect. I wanted to cry when I mounted, that is how wonderful it was. It held me in it's buttery softness, and it cradled my big, fat bum as if I were a much thinner woman. My legs draped softly. And I had no pain. No pain. Can you imagine the concept of no pain?

The clouds parted, and I heard a choir of angels singing. I was able to do things today that I haven't been able to do for such a long time. This saddle didn't make me a better rider, but it made better riding easier.

I must have a saddle exactly like this for my very own. I rode for longer than I have since my surgery last fall, which I believe is connected to the no pain thing. I thought I was okay with my Sommer. But I have been introduced to what a perfect saddle is and I can't, just can't, pretend that I haven't experienced saddle nirvana now.
    Sheilah

1 members found this post helpful.

What kind of saddle?

....and then you found out what it cost.....

3 members found this post helpful.

It was a Lemke. With buffalo hide, (or maybe it was elk hide). It had a deep seat, but I could totally move, too. It was the most awesome riding experience I have had in years, and years.
    Sheilah

Quote Originally Posted by MaybeMorgan View Post
    ....and then you found out what it cost.....
    LOL, indeed. I knew they were pricey before I ever climbed in it. But I was positive that it wouldn't be an eye opening epiphany in the equestrian arts. So I wasn't thinking in terms of, "Oh, I can't even try it because if I like it, I won't be able to afford it". I was thinking in terms of, "It will shut my friend up".

I must have a Lemke.
    Sheilah

lol!!! There isn't any discussion to be had! Buy the thing!! Maybe your friend wants a new one and you can have this one for a discount
    LarkspurCO: no horse's training is complete until it can calmly yet expressively perform GP in stadium filled w/chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys w/bottle rockets...

No, instructor isn't selling hers. Ever. Instructor says she wants to be buried in hers, because it is comfortable enough to be in for all eternity. And my friend is equally in love with hers. I think her exact words were, "This saddle is the first thing that has made me happy since my husband died".

I am not overstating this at all! These saddles really are that fabulous. I discounted what they have had to say, too! But they were truth tellers. If anything, this saddle was better than they had said. Perhaps because there is no language exact enough to fully describe the perfection.

I can use instructor's Lemke for my lessons. Meanwhile, I will figure this out, and a Lemke of my own will become a reality.
    Sheilah

I had a Lemke! They are not custom, so not that spendy. I loved mine but couldn't ride in it anymore due to physical issues, but I hated selling it. My horse loved it. Let me know if you need the contact info.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Keep an eye on eBay. I bought a lovely Lemke (jumping tho) there for a fraction of what it cost. They are not that well known, so bargains can be found. Oh, and I agree. Lovely quality!!

I didn't think about E-Bay at all. I'll check there. I sent an e-mail to the maker, and hope to hear back soon.
    Sheilah

check out Sheryl's facebook page - Lemke Saddle Services
    Also some show up on the Bay Area Equestrian Network Classifieds, since she is based in California.

www.bayequest.info

Quote Originally Posted by oreobob View Post
    check out Sheryl's facebook page - Lemke Saddle Services
    Also some show up on the Bay Area Equestrian Network Classifieds, since she is based in California.

www.bayequest.info
    I checked BAEN first thing when I got home this afternoon. Nothing. I liked the Lemke Facebook page, and I did send her an e-mail.

A friend of mine reminded me that someone we both know had a Lemke for sale last month. No idea if she still has it, or what size it is. The instructor that I have has been instrumental in sharing her Lemke love with others here, and many responded just like I did and bought one.

So, I have the e-mail to the maker, my instructor is looking for me and there may or may not be a suitable Lemke available right here in my little town.

My friend who bought hers new two years ago told me that it can take a couple of months to get one made. So maybe I could buy a new one and use the manufacturing time to pay it off.
    Sheilah

lol - I just did the same thing with the Solo that I am in the process of buying right now. I was not seriously thinking about a new saddle, and my trainer actually discouraged it this close to show season, but the Custom rep was out for someone else anyway, so I tried a couple. Fell in love. Can sit his trot for what seems like days compared to anything else I have ever ridden in.

Every time my trainer sees me in the saddle, she can't believe the difference in both myself and the horse. Asked her if she liked it well enough to discount her bill for the rest of the year to help me pay for it. She was not amused.

Sheilah i know the feeling! Rode in both my trainer's small & large chelderic and im ruined!
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!

Those darn trainers and saddle fitters - they absolutely make my (and husband's) wallet miserable, and my bump happy.

Saw this (just googled Lemke). I have no affiliation with the ad or seller

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/spo/3745032710.html

Lemkes are fantabulous saddles. Completely understand, and completely agree, they are lesser known names in the US and can be found on ebay for a song... if you're patient.
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.
    Click for the ideal stocking stuffer for anyone equine!

Quote Originally Posted by BMargieRad View Post
    Saw this (just googled Lemke). I have no affiliation with the ad or seller

[url]http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/spo/3745032710.html[/url
    Thanks! I wish my butt were small enough to fit into a 17.5! My guy is wide, too. I have been talking with the saddle maker and I think I'll end up buying one form her.

I rode in another Lemke today, this one a tad bit narrower in the tree. Same seat size as the one I used on Monday. I liked the one I rode in on Monday a tiny bit better, but the one I rode in today was really great, too.
    Sheilah

Quote Originally Posted by buck22 View Post
    Lemkes are fantabulous saddles. Completely understand, and completely agree, they are lesser known names in the US and can be found on ebay for a song... if you're patient.
    I don't know how patient I can be, though! The thought of going back to my own saddle makes me so sad. The maker doesn't think she has anything ready right now that would fit, so it will take 8-12 weeks to do whatever it is she does.

I took the pictures that she requested today and will send them later this evening. I hope the shots I got are okay. The one from his rear to his withers, with the camera about 1 inch above his rear, was hard to get accurately. The plus side is the fact that I got some cool shots of my boy.
    Sheilah