The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    I don't see a horse trying to walk, I see a horse that is presenting a STRONG founder stance...both front feet are camped so far out in front of her. It hurts me to just look at the picture.
    You could be right. Her back legs are not in the stance I associate with founder. I admit to only having one mild case in one of my horses and she stood with both back feet together also. this mare's back feet are not. The picture should show all of her legs and feet clearly, it would make it easier to see.

[QUOTE=Bacardi1;6965496]
    Quote Originally Posted by sid View Post
    I haven't read all the replies but your first post.

I'm not sure why people tippy-toe around what the stupid owner thinks.

/QUOTE]

1. Just like everyone else eager to open their mouths but too lazy to read all of the posts. Sigh.

2. People "tippy-toe" around because we now (unless you've been living under a rock somewhere) live in a HIGHLY litigious society. And unlike you, apparently, not everyone has a bank account to pay for a lawsuit.

Why so nasty? I understand that we live in a very litigous society. I haven' reread my post, but that is what I was trying to say to the extremely concerned and well meaning OP. If you are not a vet, you cannot legally administer drugs with out the horse owners' permission. The BIL is not the horse owner.

If this horse succumbs from founder, despite her/him stepping in with needed medication, the owner could find her at fault. It's hard to step away from something like this and surely animal control is less the educated or quick to respond...but what else can she/he do?

Stepping in with a good heart and the right meds is the "right" thing to do, but if the horse succumbs she/he could find themself in a sticky situation. Especially if they are dealing with an ingnorant or uncaring owner.

3 members found this post helpful.

UPDATE: The good news is the owner finally had a vet out on Friday. The bad news is the mare was definitely foundering. She rotated in one or both front feet, but not sure if the coffin bone sank any. All my friend said is his BIL said she couldn't be ridden any more and had to stay in a dry lot. So, almost 2 weeks after onset of symptoms, the asshat finally did something to help the poor horse. Still pissed as hell about it though. She should never had to be made to suffer like that.
    "...That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller, but for want of an understanding ear." --Stephen King

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm glad he finally got the vet involved (good for YOU!). I'm sorry the mare had to endure so much pain and undoubtedly suffer much worse long-term effects because he was so blase about it.
    Here's hoping she improves and survives.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

2 members found this post helpful.

Yes, bravo for you for stepping in.

That said, we all know that ESPECIALLY with laminitis, an "ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".

That said, going for 2 weeks untreated regardless of the cause is troublesome. We all know that at the "inkling" of possible founder it is a #1 RED ALERT.

You did what was right. Let's just hope this hard-headed ignorance and negligence doesn't cost the poor mare her life. HOPEFULLY, these people in charge of her care will not nickel and dime about the supportive housing/footing, shoeing and feed adjustments she will need to pull through this. Such a sad story.

2 members found this post helpful.

I hope the B-I-L gets reborn as a foundered horse.

4 members found this post helpful.