The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Have John call the vet owner normally uses (if there is one !)
    If that is impossible, consult with a vet over the phone about dosage of Bute.
    If none of this can happen call animal control.
    Ice or cold hose feet and provide soft footing. Do you have Soft Rides you could loan John ?
    Thanks for dealing with this.

2 members found this post helpful.

I haven't read all the replies but your first post.

It sounds like the horse IS foundering, not "might be". That's a critical care situation.

If the owner or BIL refuses to get the appropriate care from this devastating and painful condition...call animal control.

I'm not sure why people tippy-toe around what the stupid owner thinks.

Some critical situations with horses don't have the time to be handled "diplomatically".

If animal control doesn't come or fails this horse, at least you can sleep at night knowing you did the right thing for the creature.

BTW, if you are not a vet you are really setting yourself for liability by administering any medication to a horse that is not your own, without the owner's express written condition.

Clearly you are in a tough situation. I don't envy you.

3 members found this post helpful.

[QUOTE=sid;6965475]I haven't read all the replies but your first post.

I'm not sure why people tippy-toe around what the stupid owner thinks.

/QUOTE]

1. Just like everyone else eager to open their mouths but too lazy to read all of the posts. Sigh.

2. People "tippy-toe" around because we now (unless you've been living under a rock somewhere) live in a HIGHLY litigious society. And unlike you, apparently, not everyone has a bank account to pay for a lawsuit.

1 members found this post helpful.

I think your only option is to talk to animal control. They may help they may not.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JackieBlue View Post
    No. The vet is not bound by law to donate his or her time and materials. Many will offer a no charge euthanasia in dire circumstances, but they are not obligated by law to provide pro bono care for any animal.
    I was referring to the owner or caretaker not the vet.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    ...Looks like she is walking in the picture? ...
    I don't see a horse trying to walk, I see a horse that is presenting a STRONG founder stance...both front feet are camped so far out in front of her. It hurts me to just look at the picture.

OP, I would call animal control and press to work with someone who has horse experience so they are familiar with the level of pain this horse is in, and the level of treatment required.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    I don't see a horse trying to walk, I see a horse that is presenting a STRONG founder stance...both front feet are camped so far out in front of her. It hurts me to just look at the picture.
    That is what I saw in that photo too, a very painful looking horse.

Failing to provide medical care is illegal but getting that enforced is hard to do like most other animal welfare laws. Doesn't mean you shouldn't try. Report it repeatedly until they are forced to at least come take a look. Often times having AC show up is enough to spark the uneducated into taking action.

I really don't have anything useful to add, but as far as what would I do? I would like to punch John's BIL in the throat when he gets back from his vacation. Or better, take him out in the pasture, break both of his feet, and leave him there so he has an idea of what he's putting his mare through.

I'm sorry, I know this isn't useful and I am not normally prone to violence. But neglecting a badly suffering animal just makes me see red.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    I really don't have anything useful to add, but as far as what would I do? I would like to punch John's BIL in the throat when he gets back from his vacation. Or better, take him out in the pasture, break both of his feet, and leave him there so he has an idea of what he's putting his mare through.

I'm sorry, I know this isn't useful and I am not normally prone to violence. But neglecting a badly suffering animal just makes me see red.

I would tell this friend that if he doesn't get treatment , you are no longer friends. You can't possibly continue to be a friend with someone who lets their horse stand in pain and does Nothing. Be blunt.

If he can't do the right thing, walk away. It's not going to change.

Quote Originally Posted by princessfluffybritches View Post
    I would tell this friend that if he doesn't get treatment , you are no longer friends. You can't possibly continue to be a friend with someone who lets their horse stand in pain and does Nothing. Be blunt.

If he can't do the right thing, walk away. It's not going to change.
    Hey "Princess" - Uh, have you bothered to read the whole thread? The owner of the horse is NOT the OP's "friend". The OP's friend was just taking care of the horse while the owner was away. Whole different set of dynamics.

Why oh WHY do folks here insist on flapping their gums without taking the time to read the thread for comprehension??

6 members found this post helpful.

UPDATE! Texted my friend "John" who said his BIL had shoes put on mare yesterday, don't know if radiographs were supposedly done or not. He says she's slowly walking around but still in pain. Ya think?!? (sorry, it's not my friend's fault, but can't help thinking this.) And what kind of half-assed farrier would be stupid enough to not realize a horse is foundering and then be willing to put them through the trauma of pounding shoes onto their feet?

Now I'm just plain effin' mad. The mare is not foot-sore. I tested her soles myself when I went over last week and ruled this possibility out. And her toes certainly didn't look trimmed too short. I offered my friend the rest of my bute powder to give to his BIL for the horse. He's going to swing by this evening and pick it up. When he comes by, I'll get a more in-depth explanation as to what's going on and see if I can influence things positively in any way. If nothing else, maybe I can offer to take the mare and then quietly have her euthanized. Just say I had the vet out, prognosis wasn't good, and this was most humane thing to do for her. I'd rather cough up the money for that than to have her suffer for an indefinite period of time.
    "...That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller, but for want of an understanding ear." --Stephen King

What an ass. I'm infuriated on the other end of a computer, I can't imagine how you feel through this.

Default Farriers using x-ray.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Never met a farrier that took radiographs. You need to walk away or call animal control, your choice.
    The farriers at Rood & Riddle do. They are top of the line and are vets as well.

Quote Originally Posted by FCFARM View Post
    The farriers at Rood & Riddle do. They are top of the line and are vets as well.
    Um, the farriers at Rood & Riddle are at a VET CLINIC! This farrier just shod a laminitic horse and per the information we have (only through our computers) doesn't appear to have offered much else in the way of support for an animal in pain.

Can you recognize the difference in the two situations? Do you believe based on the information in this thread that the asshat owner of this mare uses a farrier that is also a vet? Please.

I don't know a (good/reasonable/experienced) farrier that would 'treat' a laminitis horse without asking for a vet's participation.

There are farriers whose approach to founder is to shoe with heart bar shoes with the theory that the upward pressure of the heart bar supports the coffin bone. For some horses it intensifies the suffering. My farrier went to a farriers' seminar where they put heart bar shoes on a foundered pony in a demo. He said the pony was in such intense pain and suffering so badly through and following the shoeing that he left. He couldn't watch.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

OP, I have to agree with those saying you need to call animal control. Let "John" know that tonight. This horse is suffering needlessly (and now at the hands of two incompetent people. That's not a farrier, that's an a**hat who doesn't know his head from a hole in the ground!). At least John, who doesn't know much, NOTICED she was painful and TRIED to help by calling you!

That photo made me cry. What a sweet mare...so sad she has an idiot for an owner. She deserves better

Add me to the list of those waiting for the owner to return home so we can punch him in the face and cause him physical pain!
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

5 members found this post helpful.

Without addressing the underlying issue for the founder, the shoes are a band-aid at best. It is really too bad that the farrier didn't put his/her foot down and refuse to do the horse without vet intervention. My farrier would have.
    I would call animal control. You may get lucky with a good correspondent. Good luck.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by FCFARM View Post
    That would be a vet taking an xray who was also a farrier in my opinion. I would bet my house that the OP's farrier is not a licensed vet as well as being a farrier.