The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Prosthetics for horses??

On FB, there is a picture of a horse with a prosthetic on the near fore. The horse itself looks in great condition, shiny coat and plenty of weight, not distressed at all.

I think the photo is PS'd somehow. But some think it's a real photo.

So...are there prosthetics for horses and how would they stay on when a horse feels the need to frolic and play??
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

At Foxfield Races some years ago a rescue had a horse with a prosthetic leg they were using to open wallets. I can't remember any of the logistics, but it smacked of let's keep them alive to make me feel better
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

4 members found this post helpful.

I'm suspecting as much with this one, too.

1 members found this post helpful.

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Dreaming in Color

No, not her. This is a big chestnut. I would copy the pic and post it but I'm not sure I can do that. It's on a private page so can't link to it.

BTW, most people seem against the prosthetics for horses, would rather they were put down.

I don't see how it would work on a big horse. When I did some checking on the picture, it said it went back to some sort of photo redesign in 'Photothumb', whatever that is. So that would mean it's been altered, right?

a recent donkey:

http://wtop.com/267/3392967/3-legged...-veterinarians

but yeah i would think that the larger the horse, the more difficult this would be...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

It's a public Facebook posting. Here's the link for Facebookers:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=1&theater

For non-Facebookers, here's the pic and description:

https://sphotos-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/h...70657951_n.jpg

"This horse broke his leg during a race. As he was not going to compete anymore his owner decided to send him to slaughter. Fortunately an animal sanctuary rescued him, giving him the opportunity to live in a place where he is not valued in terms of profit. Now he has a home where he is respected."

Over 1,377 comments, so I don't know if the "animal sanctuary" is named, but, IMO, the $ spent on this horse could have gone a LONG way to save others who have a much better chance at quality of life.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

3 members found this post helpful.

I was amazed years ago to read that when a horse's leg is amputated below the knee, the hoof can be grafted onto the bone. Then the prosthetic device is added. One vet had a mare who had foals, and taught her foals to nurse while she was lying down. The hoof grows, is trimmed, and holds the prosthetic device in place.

Obviously working with prosthetic devices on horses can be expensive and require a lot of time and effort, but it is possible. I'd probably choose fusing the leg if possible, as I'd want to keep my horses alive, even if they could not longer be ridden.

I've had orthotic devices made for dogs. And they've worked well. I'd probably want, if necessary, to try orthotic devices on horses before having any amputations and then using prosthetic devices.

I've seen dogs with the metal carts when they were paralyzed in their lower extremities. Science is wonderful in prolonging the lives of people and animals. I'd pay for anything that would make the quality of life of my animals better.

From the articles I've read in horse magazines, the temperament of the horse is the most important factor in determining if a prostatic device will work. Remember Ruffian? She wouldn't tolerate the efforts made to save her life after her tragic breakdown in her match race.

I think it's cruel.
    Quarry Rat

6 members found this post helpful.

Years ago the local large animal rescue near where I was living had a cow with a prosthetic. I won't tell what my reaction to seeing that was, but it is the same now.

Just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should be done.

Quote Originally Posted by charismaryllis View Post
    a recent donkey:

http://wtop.com/267/3392967/3-legged...-veterinarians

but yeah i would think that the larger the horse, the more difficult this would be...
    Here is a thread I did about a Virginia donkey -

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...llow-yesterday

Yes, he is darling and seems happy enough, just not sure how I feel about it either.

If it is a personal horse and the owner can afford it, I have no issue with giving it a shot (assuming someone is carefully monitoring the horse for quality of life issues).

If it is at a rescue, being funded by donations, etc. then I am absolutely against it.

4 members found this post helpful.

I always wonder what the quality of life is for that animal and how many more animals could have been helped with all of those resources. I also do not support "heroic" interventions on rescued animals that have 10% positive outcomes or keeping an animal alive for months to raise money for surgery while the animal suffers. It seems very selfish to me.

Thanks for the info about grafting the hoof to the bone. Interesting to know.

I thought the page was private, little do I notice such things.

I think what they've done to the horse is ghastly. What's up with the open sores on the poor thing's face? Doesn't look to me like he's "loved and respected".

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
    It's a public Facebook posting. Here's the link for Facebookers:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=1&theater

For non-Facebookers, here's the pic and description:

https://sphotos-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/h...70657951_n.jpg

"This horse broke his leg during a race. As he was not going to compete anymore his owner decided to send him to slaughter. Fortunately an animal sanctuary rescued him, giving him the opportunity to live in a place where he is not valued in terms of profit. Now he has a home where he is respected."

Over 1,377 comments, so I don't know if the "animal sanctuary" is named, but, IMO, the $ spent on this horse could have gone a LONG way to save others who have a much better chance at quality of life.
    But that would deprive the sanctuary of a horse to exploit for bleeding heart feel-good fundraising.

I tend to lean this way as well. There are so many other horses that could have a better quality of life - find a new home. This one may live a very long time and be very expensive to keep. It does sound so heart-wrenching that he had a broken leg and they were going to send him to slaughter.
    He looks like a big QH which makes me wonder how that prosthetic will hold up.

Quote Originally Posted by joiedevie99 View Post
    If it is a personal horse and the owner can afford it, I have no issue with giving it a shot (assuming someone is carefully monitoring the horse for quality of life issues).

If it is at a rescue, being funded by donations, etc. then I am absolutely against it.

The story along with the picture reeks of the kind of made-up inspirational BS so common in those pass-along Facebook photos. If the horse's leg was broken in a race so badly that it had to be amputated, the horse likely would have been put down on the track. I can't think of anyone, even the most low level slimy trainer, dragging a three legged horse back into the barn and then making it hang around in agony waiting for the slaughter truck, which isn't likely to come for a horse that won't be legal to transport. Never mind the vagueness - including the unnamed "animal sanctuary". Most places that do this milk it for all the donations they can get. There are some horses out there with prosthetics, mostly smaller ponies, but I think this particular story is fake.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by joiedevie99 View Post

I agree with this.

And although of course people can and should do whatever they like with their own money when it comes to their animals, the whole thing somehow seems self-serving, obscene, and grotesque.

Death with dignity and minimal suffering is nowhere near the worst that could happen to any of us....
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

A local mini had this done many years ago to a hind leg after she was attacked by a wild animal. The rod was actually attached to her bone.

I saw her in the flesh a few years ago. She didn't look completely sound with the prosthetic even though it had been years since she'd had the surgery.

Personally, if it was my horse I would euthanize. Being so large and with such a high chance of complications when one leg is out of commission for an extended period (laminitis, etc.), I just believe it's better to give the horse a quiet end.

But, these owners obviously thought it was worth it.