The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I have a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer (4.2L I6) with an upgraded transmission and auxillary cooler. The truck's a beast with nearly 200,000 miles on it. I haul a brenderup.

2001 F250 7.3L diesel. My first vehicle was a diesel and I'm so happy to be back in diesel land, thank you fuel mileage gods. I bought this one used in 2009, traded in my old tow vehicle. Was in immaculate condition at 107k, just an infant in 7.3L years. I plan to drive this puppy well into 300k.

I have a 2H BP with dressing room, a 15' trailer. I started out towing it with a 98 Expedition with a 5.4L V8 and then a 96 Tahoe (old body) with the big Chevy 5.7L V8. Both did ok, but you might as well set your gas money on fire. While towing, they probably got 5 mpg on a good day. It also put incredible wear and strain on the transmission, brakes, and I bought two radiators, even though both had a factory tow package. The money I put into maintenance, repairs and fuel became ridiculous, no matter how low the purchase price was. And holy cow, when someone whipped out in front of me or slammed on their brakes, even with the trailer brakes, it no doubt added grey hairs!

Now My Precious (the F250, LOL) is at about 154k and purring like a kitten. I have spent soooooo much less money on fuel, repair (oh wait, it never breaks), maintenance than I ever did before. And after towing with it, I will NEVER go back. I bargained like heck at the dealer on my trade in and got a steal of deal but I am so glad that I did. Being patient and searching for what I really wanted, even if it seemed a little more expensive up front (I walked out the door for $13k) has paid off in spades down the road in saved costs.

Safety is VERY important to me too. You can haul with a 1/2 ton, heck I did it for several years. But the bigger truck gives me a significantly larger margin for error (mine or someone else's). I was coming home from Southern Pines recently in a quickly developing thunderstorm. Passing a semi, my rig cleared the nose only to be SLAMMED broadside by a gust of wind. It pushed my 13,000 lbs of steel onto the shoulder. I was easily able to return to my lane and the trailer remained stable. But I got a little shaky thinking about where I would have ended up with my old SUV's in that moment. So yeah, it's worth it, even if it's just for those 10 seconds in 10 years when you get in trouble.

1 members found this post helpful.

2004 F-350 6.0L diesel, Harley Davidson package (yeah, that's right, BIG ORANGE truck). I haul a 2012 Hawk BP 2H straight load with dressing room and side ramp.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

I haul with a 1996 Dodge Ram half ton. My trailer is an '06 2 horse Sundowner. Truck is fine for local, and we managed ok in the hills of Pennsylvania, but it was working hard for some of those steeper hill climbs. I mostly use it for flatter terrain, and with only 100,000k's on it, I'll have to make due for a few more years. My husband hauls his bass boat with his new 3/4 ton Ram, and no amount of convincing will get him to trade with me.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

2008 Chevy Silverado HD duramax/diesel. I haul a 2008 Logan 3H GN. I love them both!

First, decide on what kind of trailer you want.

Second, select the vehicle to pull it with.

This way of approaching the problem can save you a ton of money, as you'll buy enough truck but not too much.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

2 members found this post helpful.

2004 Dodge 2500 diesel crew cab, to haul a Sooner gooseneck three horse stock trailer. We bought the truck used, as an upgrade from a Ford F-250, and love the diesel.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

2006 Dodge 2500 diesel 4 wheel drive. Pulling an Exiss all aluminum 4 horse bumper pull but typically only haul one horse.
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

2008 Ford F-350 Super Duty.

Quote Originally Posted by up-at-5 View Post
    My husband hauls his bass boat with his new 3/4 ton Ram, and no amount of convincing will get him to trade with me.
    Meanie!!! Psh, that big ol' heavy bass boat -- switch keys when he is sleeping, LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    Meanie!!! Psh, that big ol' heavy bass boat -- switch keys when he is sleeping, LOL!
    I could do that...but then I'd have to keep it clean...no more stinky pooped on shipping quilts and wraps all over the back seats, no more empty poutine containers, no more strands of loose hay.....I think I'll keep the old truck, she's served me well.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

1989 F250 with tow package and 76k original miles I tow a 2006 2H Trails West BP at the moment. It's really been a fantastic truck and knock on wood has only needed minor repairs. However, as good as it has been I'm hoping to upgrade to something newer next year - a 1 ton so I can eventually get a GN with a weekender/LQ package.

2001 Ford F350 crew cab 4 X 4 with the 7.3l Power Stroke. Have had it since new- still has less than 75,000 mile on it. It pulls a 16' Featherlite gooseneck stock trailer, that is my daily run around, or a 24' Hart 4 horse slant load with a 6' living quarters package.

Quote Originally Posted by up-at-5 View Post
    ...no more empty poutine containers, :
    HA HA HA - had to look to make sure you were from Canada! I'm not sure that stuff is actually edible but an old college friend who recently moved up there with his wife SWEARS by it (as opposed to swearing at it), so I guess it may be!

So diesel is the way to go it seems! Which is very helpful.

Right now my Dodge 1500 has over 3k on it and is a gas engine. I couldn't imagine pulling anything with it (terrible gas mileage without pulling and can barely take hills), and I need something to last me through the rest of college and a couple years afte until I can buy something newer.

Good to know it is possible to pull a trailer with something less than a "big" truck! Keep them coming, I like to see common denominators of which trucks are pulling what!

You all are helping me expand my options! I hear there is a certain Ford motor to stay away from? Also, what are your experiences with HEMI's?

3H slant gooseneck - '99 F350 dually, regular cab-7.3 diesel, before that '96 F250 extended cab 7.3 diesel, before that '87-ish Chevy 3500 extended cab dually with a 454(stopped at every gas station with that one!). I'd much rather have too much truck than not enough-those 7.3's LOVE the hills! My favorite truck was the '96 Ford, but the '99 gets better mileage with it's standard transmission.

2001 F-250, pulling a 3H with LQ; love the truck, but the trailer's a bit heavy for it when it's fully loaded

I LOVE my GMC Sierra 2500hd. It's got the giant 8.1L engine and a massive tow package. It's a 2005 bought with minimal miles on it (its got like 40,000 miles on it today). It's got the long bed and extended cab. It will pull pretty much anything I ask it to.

It pulls my big 4 horse (though set up for 3) steel stock trailer and 3 horses like its nothing.

1998 Ford F-250, Triton V-8 gasoline, 193,000+ miles. When the wheels fall off, I'll probably get another one. Car Max is a good source for used trucks BTW, my sister recently got a Chevy truck there- just a plain little two door 'original' type truck cab and not 4 WD but suits her fine for her stock trailer.

2010 Toyota Tundra. Love. It.
    SA Ferrana Moniet
    Not goodbye--just waiting at the end of the trail.
    My bloggity blog: Hobby Horse: Adventures of the Perpetual Newbie