The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pentosan price at US compounding?

Does anyone know the price of a 50 ml bottle of Pentosan at US Compounding? I emailed them, but they won't give me price until they have scrip in hand. I don't want to have vet call in scrip only to find out that it will be even more than he charges!!!!

btw, wanting to go to us compounding because that is who my vet uses, and also the recent poor inspection reports on Wedgewood.
    thanks in advance
    arabiansrock

Quote Originally Posted by arabiansrock View Post
    Does anyone know the price of a 50 ml bottle of Pentosan at US Compounding? I emailed them, but they won't give me price until they have scrip in hand. I don't want to have vet call in scrip only to find out that it will be even more than he charges!!!!

btw, wanting to go to us compounding because that is who my vet uses, and also the recent poor inspection reports on Wedgewood.
    thanks in advance
    arabiansrock
    I got mine from Wedgewood Pharmacy, in NJ. The total was $119, $10 of that was shipping. I live in PA and got it the next day.
    Royal Guardian- aka "Gabe"

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian1 View Post
    I got mine from Wedgewood Pharmacy, in NJ. The total was $119, $10 of that was shipping. I live in PA and got it the next day.
    Same for me.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Who is your vet in PA that wrote you a script??? Mine will not do that, I have to buy it through him and he marks it up.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

You'd probably do well to make sure the pharmacy you're thinking of using didn't have a similar inspection result. Wedgewood was hardly the only one with "dings" on their inspection, and there was nothing (the way I read it) that was such a huge violation that gave the impression this place was an outlier.

I refuse to do business with anyone who won't give me a straight answer on how much something costs. Irritates the living heck out of me.
    Click here before you buy.

3 members found this post helpful.

Me too. Just got another bottle last week. It's $109 with $10 for shipping. My vet in VA wrote the script.

For the price above, what is the concentration?

Thanks.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

250mg/ml
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyleHeightsKid View Post
    Who is your vet in PA that wrote you a script??? Mine will not do that, I have to buy it through him and he marks it up.
    The vet I use is out of Berks County. PM me if you want her personal name. My g/f in VT wanted the Pentosan as well and the vet was going to charge her over $200, I said NO WAY! Tell them you can get it cheaper directly! She pushed a little harder and they wrote and faxed the Rx in and she got it from Wedgewood.
    Royal Guardian- aka "Gabe"

Thanks everyone. it sounds like everyone is using Wedgewood. Thats a bummer for me because my vet would really prefer I use US Compounding because he buys his from them and is familiar with how well it works. He seems to have concerns that products from different compounding pharmacies may have different effectiveness. Kind of like some people prefer one brand of generic ibuprofen over another generic brand.

Sorry I am late to the party. I get Pentosan 50 ml bottle (cuz it will "expire" in 5 months) for one horse. So, it gives me 8 shots at 6 ml each. I get it from US Compounding for $100 plus 7.95 for shipping. It is 250mg/ml. I give a shot every 3 weeks. Hope this helps.

1 members found this post helpful.

Forgot. It DOES require a prescription. Vet faxed it to them. He left it open for one year so I can order as I want.