The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bit Suggestions Please?

Spring is here for sure now. Not only is the hair still coming out in gobs, but we have lots of exuberance to cope with. My TB usually goes in a HS KK Ultra in dressage and a Happy Mouth full cheek single jointed snaffle for sj and xc. Recently when doing fitness work out in the field my buddy has been taking me for a gallop. Not that I have anything against a good gallop, but I would prefer it when I asked for it and at something less than at Belmont speeds.

I am looking for some suggestions for what has worked for others in the same boat. Some of my barn friends have made the following suggestions: Tom Thumb pelham, kimberwicke, and waterford. I am not very familiar with use of any of them -- pros/cons and details like should you not use a flash with them? Are there other bits that might work better? I have pretty decent hands (ie. I'm not hanging on his mouth) and ask/release. I would like to have some response at the ask though!

1 members found this post helpful.

My mare is 17.2 and part TB and is fairly decent in the ring but is a handful in the field. My trainer (I am very new to eventing) suggested a 3-ring elevator and I love it. She has become very light and responsive in my hands and we are both happier. I don't use the bottom ring, only the second ring. Yes, we use a flash.

A friend of mine uses a Myler combo bit on the top ring just for that added "hello" from the pressure on the nose.

My 20-year-old TB took me for quite the ride around Morven early this spring, and I decided to change bits. He was going in an eggbut (fine for stadium, not so much for XC). Changed over to this, often called a 'wonder bit' - http://www.smartpakequine.com/korste...x?cm_vc=Search - before our second outing, and it definitely worked. Bit itself is a simple snaffle, but just offers a little more leverage. As a horse that likes to get on his forehand and run, this gave me a little option for slight hip-hand corrections. Definitely not severe enough to annoy them, but enough for more control.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/korste...x?cm_vc=Search - before our second outing, and it definitely worked. Bit itself is a simple snaffle, but just offers a little more leverage. As a horse that likes to get on his forehand and run, this gave me a little option for slight hip-hand corrections. Definitely not severe enough to annoy them, but enough for more control.
    ^^This! Love this bit when you just need a bit more.

I use a two ring elevator with a three piece mouth piece, and added a curb chain (usually set pretty loose) too for extra leverage. I like to use two reins but I don't think thats necessary. I use it with a figure eight. In dressage I use either a nathe or a three piece loose ring. You could jump my gelding inside in a halter but outside, its show time.

Like this but the middle is more of a bean
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/korste...x?cm_vc=Search

I use the wonder bit - have a big horse and some times enthusiasm gets the better of him. This gives me just a little more ability to say "hello!" without being too much. The elevator with the curb chain is a BIG step up -- I'd go for the wonder bit first to see if it was sufficient.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Can't explain why but the elevator just on the big ring, not even down on the middle one, like the loosering part...helped my normally very responsive TB years ago when he would get fresh outside.