The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default OKC GO Show

I've been trying to get my summer schedule put together and was thinking about going to the OKC GO Show at the end of July. If anyone could offer some insight about this show it would be greatly appreciated!

(I found a similar thread about this, but it's 4 years old. So, I thought I'd try to get more current info)

I haven't been in a few years, but I don't think much has changed. They are good horse shows. Rings are air-conditioned, which is huge, and nice permanent stabling. I'd recommend them.

It's a very well run show, lots of people show up for it. Only downside is that Oklahoma in July can get hot. I think it was 2 years ago that it was like 115 degrees during the show - YIKES!

Other than the rings, the warm up and barns are not air conditioned, but it really is a nice facility and very well run.

I did these shows a few years ago and found them to be well run and nice management.

The downsides to me was the high number of OKC "locals" that come out for the smaller hunters. They didn't seem to be educated on how warm up rings work, or orders of go, or other show nuances. The warm up for hunters was on the small side, and the ring itself had a few bulbs out so it had unexpected shadows. I'd assume they've fixed that problem by now.

The stalls were top notch, footing was good. Exhibitor perks were nice too, like the snack bar, parties, and crafts station for the kiddos.

If you've happen to ever shown in waco, the rings are very similar, and there is a significant lack of grass to hang out with your horse on if you like that sort of thing.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for all the replies so far! My biggest concern is the heat. I don't seem to tolerate it as well as I used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Clfne View Post
    Thanks for all the replies so far! My biggest concern is the heat. I don't seem to tolerate it as well as I used to.
    My barn goes every year! Like everyone said it's a great show. Run well, nice footing, good exhibitor parties, etc. Yes, it is hot, it's almost always in the 100's by then. But every part of the show is indoors (out of the sun, but decent airflow) and every show ring is air conditioned. Most barns rent a port-a-cool fan to blow down the aisle and it makes it quite a bit cooler. I absolutely hate heat but it's still one of my favorite shows!

It is my favorite show. I went last year and had a blast. The rings are gorgeous, the management is wonderful, they have tons of classes, and the facilities are amazing. I never really had a problem with the heat. It is very cool inside and they have tons of fans. I also didn't have an issue with the lower level Okies not knowing what was going on. I only saw a few "unprofessional" looking people and they seemed to have themselves under control for the most part. There are plenty of schooling areas so it wouldn't be a problem to go elsewhere if you were having an issue. Overall, I love the show and recommend it to everyone. We are going back this year. Might be making my 3'6 debut there...
    Professional hunter princess

Where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains

I don't have anything else to add about the facilities, but I currently live about an hour away from OKC and I will say that our spring has been unusually cool thus far (compared to last year being unseasonably warm). Hopefully this trend will continue and we won't hit 110+ during July this year... that being said it IS Oklahoma so anything is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickelodian View Post
    The downsides to me was the high number of OKC "locals" that come out for the smaller hunters. They didn't seem to be educated on how warm up rings work, or orders of go, or other show nuances.
    Wow. Neat.

I've shown at the OKC GO show two years in a row and I agree with most of the comments. While the arenas are air conditioned, the barns aren't, which can be very hot. The warm ups are adequate at best. The facility is surrounded by parking lots, so there is very little grass to graze your horse.

The area of town were the fairgrounds is located isn't the best (think strip bars) and there have been incidents of theft from vehicles in the past. Show management has addressed this problem by increasing security in the parking lots and limiting the number of open entrances.

Overall, I would go again if my trainer decides to go, but it isn't my favorite facility. Show management is top notch and the show is well run.

I've shown at the OKC GO show two years in a row and I agree with most of the comments. While the arenas are air conditioned, the barns aren't, which can be very hot. The warm ups are adequate at best. The facility is surrounded by parking lots, so there is very little grass to graze your horse.

The area of town were the fairgrounds is located isn't the best (think strip bars) and there have been incidents of theft from vehicles in the past. Show management has addressed this problem by increasing security in the parking lots and limiting the number of open entrances.

Overall, I would go again if my trainer decides to go, but it isn't my favorite facility. Show management is top notch and the show is well run.

Quote Originally Posted by Clfne View Post
    I've had a heat stroke and am very sensitive to heat. I showed there for years without dying, so that's some testament to how hard they work to keep it bearable. It's nice if you can minimize your time in the barns and hang out in the rings (which are frigid).