The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Recommendations for vitamin/mineral supplement

I am slowly cutting down my horses' sweet feed and putting him on full turn out on very nice grass. It was suggested that I add a vitamin/mineral supplement once he is off the sweet feed, just wanted some input on things that people have had success with?

It is kind of hard to give a recommendation if we don't know what's in the hay, but IN GENERAL I am a fan of Uckele's Sport Horse grass supplement, Grand Meadows Grand Vite, and Select the Best Select II supplement for horses getting mostly grass and grass hay. The Uckele one happens to be a favorite also because it comes in a pellet and my horses prefer that over powders. Accel is another good one--comes in a powder but seems to be very palatable.

I'm VERY sure there are lots of others, but I've used these and thought the ingredients list made sense for a horse not getting a bunch of grain, in my area.

SmartPak has a supplement comparison tool that can be very helpful if there are specific ingredients that you want to focus on. Around here we need to add selenium but the soil is very rich in magnesium, but different areas have different needs and so do different horses!
    Click here before you buy.

I use the smart-pak SmartVite EZ Keeper Grass Pellets. My guy gets about a handful of grain and after putting him on this supplement his hooves and coat really look better. He loves the taste of the pellets they smell like flintstones kids vitamins lol.

I also like the Smart Pak EZ Keeper Grass.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Have you considered a ration balancer?

I am glad to hear you are getting off of sweet feed. But, I would contact Ukele and consider a hair analysis and maybe also do some basic blood work to do it right. Hair analysis is controversial but it has served us well but, I do like to look at what is happening currently in the blood. Be prepared for high Aluminum. You might just get by with pasture, if the pasture is good enough. But, I have seen too many horses oversupplemented here lately. If you have to get something, I do like the Uckele's because the pellets are "cold pressed" and this makes a big difference. I have used them for years and they stand behind their products. Great to deal with and usually have some science behind their products. Test before using.

I've been using EquiPride for about 5 months now. So far it's working out well, especially for my easy-keeper.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

ADM stay strong metabolic pellets-- use them for all my horses

Horsetech. I use their Nutramino and all around vitamin/mineral supplement. Love their products and the company is super easy and friendly to deal with! They will also custom make a product for you if you find that your area is lacking in particular minerals. AND you get a free snack bag of Famous Amos with your order

Thanks y'all!