The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle Fitting-Questions photo's included Pessoa vs Barnsby

So I just bought a 5 yr old Thoroughbred off the track. He still has some muscle and weight to put on. I just started to ride him and my older Crosby doesn't fit. I just tried a Barnsby on him and it looks pretty good. The saddle fits me well. I also have a new Pessoa A/O with AMS and the changable gullet coming. Not sure how the pessoa will fit yet. But if they both fit him well which would you choose and why? The Barnsby is foam flocked while the Pessoa is wool and the changable gullet. I usually only ride my horse but on occasion I will ride other horses. I have attached the photos of the Barnsby and I will put the photo's of the Pessoa up when I get it. I am so confused about which is the best saddle. Please help!!!
    http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...7/IMG_9822.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...7/IMG_2201.jpg

Hard to tell from those pictures. Is there a saddle fitter near you that can assist? That's really the best way to assure the saddle you have fits you and the horse.

Good luck with it!
    Alis volat propriis.

I'd recommend pm-img jn4jenny or mvp. Both are brilliant when it comes to saddle fit.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

bluemooncowgirl is right, it's really difficult to tell from the photos, especially when you are using a saddle pad. Ideally, you want a view of the back of the saddle as well as one showing how it fits the shoulders.

As for choice of saddles, I do like Barnsbys but as your horse's back and muscles change, you are better off going with a wool flocking so it can be adjusted for the changes.

You really should try to find a good saddle fitter in your area.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

1 members found this post helpful.

If you have both, I would stick with the one that has the most adjustability to it (changeable gullet and wool flocked)...in other words, the Pessoa.
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

Hard to tell from the photos, but my inclination is to say that it looks a tick narrow in the tree.

Your horse is only going to get broader as he gains weight and muscle from proper riding, which would have me scared that it would be too tight in short time.

I would go with the Pessoa. As others stated, it's more adaptable to a changing, developing horse's needs, and chances are you won't be shopping for a replacement in 6 months to a year.

I have a saddle fitter coming on saturday to take a look. Here is another picture of the saddle without the pad. I am going to take some more today girthed up without the pad on.
    How does the Pessoa ride? I really loved my old saddle which doesn't fit him at all but I never realized that it didn't really put me in a great position when riding until I rode in this saddle. When I sat on that it was amazing, like something clicked.
    http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...7/IMG_0631.jpg

How can you tell if a saddle is too narrow?

Too narrow can identify itself in a number of ways...

*Pommel/cantle relationship off - cantle not the "average" 1" higher than pommel, or pommel higher than cantle
    *Excessive pommel/wither clearance
    *Tree points not running parallel to the horse

Again, hard to tell by the photos, but I suspect all three of the above may be going on with your saddle.

It's good you have a fitter coming out - let us know what you decide!