The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
    Or about the length of a cigarette.
    My favorite example of the three inch difference is... It's a twinkie! That imagine always helped me, I mean how afraid of a twinkie can I be.... Lol
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

2 members found this post helpful.

Your feelings of guilt about showing against kids will evaporate when the little rug rats kick your butt.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Your feelings of guilt about showing against kids will evaporate when the little rug rats kick your butt.
    Ha! I might see those cute kids as the enemy lurking under their cute bows?! I dunno, some of them look friggin adorable and innocent on their fat, lumbering ponies!

Sammi, nooooo!!!! You've lived my nightmare! Really! Get better!

After bailing and getting a concussion shortly after I got my mare, I decided to focus on proper flatwork and then take it slow with the jumping. I want to know that I can rate her and get the quiet adds.

Thanks for the long stirrup advice - I think that was Mozart? Those sound ideal! An xrail just doesn't have the same fear factor as a solid vertical!!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Showjumper28 View Post
    My favorite example of the three inch difference is... It's a twinkie! That imagine always helped me, I mean how afraid of a twinkie can I be.... Lol
    This is brilliant!

Yeah, our local HJ association added a long stirrup division this year and I am very happy to show in that this year. Long stirrup is 18 and over and short stirrup is under 18. They will combine the divisions if there are not 3 in each division. That has only happened once this year and there was 1 kid showing with the adults (on a pony that was careening around and doing the horse strides - yikes!)

This is my first year showing my mare and I had not jumped in 10 years before starting back with her. She has a HUGE stride and I have enough to worry about without worrying about the fence height - LOL. I jump 2'3"-2'6" at home but it's nice to go in the ring at a show and not be nervous. I would like to be putting in consistently good trips in long stirrup before I move up to the 2'3" division that is an open division with plenty of pros (on green horses) in it.
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

Quote Originally Posted by Showjumper28 View Post
    As someone going total low carb, I have to say I am TERRIFIED of a Twinkie! I have been known to have dreams of eating a doughnut and waking up terribly upset!

Oh memories... I still remember the little 8 yr old nemesis I had back when I was a teenager. It didn't matter to the judge that she had flappy chicken arms and a helmet that would fall over her face. Her Appendix could out jump my stocky lease quarter horse any day. I used to cry after shows with frustration. Laughing at my 16 yr old self right now.

Honestly, after reading your posts, your HORSE will prob do better over the 2'3.

I doubt your mare "jumps" the itty bitty jumps. Mine usually just canter stride over them and it makes them sloppy.

My opinion, take if for what it's worth-people are going to disagree : Jumping the itty bitty is not going to help your eye at all. I doubt it is going to do much for your mare exept bore her to tears. Not that she needs "excitement" but re hashing little things over and over is not really going to benefit much.

Quiet adds over little fences is very different than quiet add over anything bigger. You'd be better off working on canter poles if you are working on adjustments.

If you are that beat up, can you get someone else to let her do the bigger jumps? Let you see someone else do her and see her total chill attitude.

Sometimes you have to close your eyes and trust (but not in a hack class).
    I'm a rehab rider as well, going on 42, rebuilt right knee and a torn MCL, riding my 5 year old WB mare.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

I am so lucky where I am in VA we have a great schooling show with a weenie division for adults only. It's w/t, w/t/c, w/t/c and jump two 18" jumps in a line with a halt at the end. I had a bad fall a long time ago that still affects my nerves jumping and a couple year break from riding and then I bought my new horse. It may have been boring for him but a super confidence builder for me. I would call around at some local lesson barns and see if they have any schooling shows. A lot of times since most the competitors are their students they include a lot of weenie classes for practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennywell Bay View Post
    Honestly, after reading your posts, your HORSE will prob do better over the 2'3.

I doubt your mare "jumps" the itty bitty jumps...
    True. She could just step over, but she just canters over without really jumping. When I feel comfortable enough that I'm not catching her on takeoff or landing, hopefully I'll be ready to move up.

She does get to do some actual jumping 1 or 2 times a week. We think that keeps her from totally going insane from boredom with me. (Hopefully!)

I'm holding out for a division with an over 60 leadline class!

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapoze View Post
    Oh memories... I still remember the little 8 yr old nemesis I had back when I was a teenager. It didn't matter to the judge that she had flappy chicken arms and a helmet that would fall over her face. Her Appendix could out jump my stocky lease quarter horse any day. I used to cry after shows with frustration. Laughing at my 16 yr old self right now.
    Never mind. My 11 yr old son's Connemara outjumps my warmblood. Due in no small part to the WB's rider, but still. Particularly grating when you have to live with the rug rat in question.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

More shows need to have a "Long Stirrup" division!

My local circuit in IL had Long Stirrup, which was basically Short Stirrup for adults.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

2 members found this post helpful.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Quote Originally Posted by minnie View Post
    I'm holding out for a division with an over 60 leadline class!
    Oh God, true story.
    Many years ago we went to a 4-H show. At the end of the day, there was a class called Adult Leadline. All the adults from our barn thought it was a joke. So my mom went in barefoot with my cousin leading her on her pony, and made a beeline for the judge, whom she handed a drink to. Another lady happened to have a Scarlett O'Hara dress in her car and put it on and rode a freaking Holstein in the class, since the dairy judging was over for the day.

It wasn't a joke, people actually rode in it completely kitted out and were serious about winning
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Default Ridge At Riverview

Quote Originally Posted by ako View Post
    I would love a nice adult xrail division haha!! We could do hunters or eq.

Really I figure this summer I will be ready to show 2'. Good luck finding that at the local shows! HITS has Adult Maiden Eq, which would be perfect. But realistically we would go only once.

The problem really is that I'm a wuss. I was jumping a solid 2' years ago - no distances and poor riding, I just pointed my gelding at a jump. I wasn't able to jump for awhile when he was diagnosed with Navicular. Then I had ACL surgery.

Now I have a great mare, but she's very powerful and I'm focusing on giving her a good ride, so we're going slow. I don't bounce so well now.

Pretty much everything for adults at local shows starts at 2'3" or 2'6". I feel a little rude showing against kids, even when they are better riders than me!!

Arghhh.
    At Ridge At Riverview show series starting on Sunday, May 19th there are beginner Hunter and Hopeful Hunter Divisions set at 3 foot ..go to www.theridgefarm.com for prizelist..less than an hour from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by ako View Post
    I love having company in weenie-ness!! Makin' me feel good here!!
    I guess there are many levels of weenie-ness - my goal is to someday get beyond crossrails and actually do the 18 inch vertical course!! To do two feet would be awesome...I don't see you as a weenie at all!

I am adult weenie myself, and I regularly show against kids who beat the pants off me. It's a good learning experience. My horse had never shown above crossrails before I got him last year, and I just started cantering jumps last year after a previous horse ruined my confidence. Add in the fact my horse has more than a bit of stubbornness in his giant noggin and knocks down anything under 2', and well.... we can be a mess sometimes.

If you qualify for the class, show in it, avoid parents' nasty looks if you win, and just learn. My confidence has grown a LOT in the past year, and my next show I'll be doing 2'3" in Long Stirrup.

Red face

Last Sunday, I showed over fences for the first time in about 35 years. The show had a 2'6" "long stirrup" division, but it was too small so they combined it with short stirrup. And I got my a** handed to me by a couple of 10 year olds. Other than that, it was SO MUCH FUN

UPDATE: things are really clicking. I've done a couple hunter shows at 2' and 2'3" is coming up. Must say, my girl has been a rock star! I just put my hands on her neck and we plop around. We now both have a feel for the right stride and she just keeps that perfect stride all the way through. I swear, it's like she knows the numbers! Riding hunter style really suits both of us! :-)

Around here (Georgia) we have several local show series with an Adult Crossrail Divison. There's a hunter one and an equitation division. It's for anyone 18 and older- I'm surprised that this is not common in other areas!