The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default No good show options for weenie adults!!

I would love a nice adult xrail division haha!! We could do hunters or eq.

Really I figure this summer I will be ready to show 2'. Good luck finding that at the local shows! HITS has Adult Maiden Eq, which would be perfect. But realistically we would go only once.

The problem really is that I'm a wuss. I was jumping a solid 2' years ago - no distances and poor riding, I just pointed my gelding at a jump. I wasn't able to jump for awhile when he was diagnosed with Navicular. Then I had ACL surgery.

Now I have a great mare, but she's very powerful and I'm focusing on giving her a good ride, so we're going slow. I don't bounce so well now.

Pretty much everything for adults at local shows starts at 2'3" or 2'6". I feel a little rude showing against kids, even when they are better riders than me!!

Arghhh.
    Last edited by ako; Apr. 29, 2013 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Typo
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Default It's three inches.

Or about the length of a cigarette.

If you are only going to one show, then show in 2'3". Or just go early, pop over some weinie warm up fences and show in the u/s classes.

And I'll tell you something I learned years ago. The only thing more sad than an adult showing against small children is showing against them and losing.

15 members found this post helpful.

Would you be able to show in the kid divisions if you flipped your number? I assume that the experience for you and your mare would be what you're after, not the ribbons. It might be worth talking to the office staff to see if they'd allow it.

6 members found this post helpful.

When I first learned to jump a couple years ago, we had a nearby series that ran a cross-rails beginner hunter division. It didn't specify an age requirement. Did I show against pig-tailed girls on ponies? Yes. Did my leased 28 year old schoolmaster and that show series help give me confidence to move on to bigger and better? Heck yes! I was hooked--we were series champion and it was fun.

Do whatever you need to do to have fun, whether that's travel a bit further to find a local schooling show that has what you need or show at 2'3" and tell yourself it's 2' (after the first round or two you proably won't notice the difference anyway).

Good luck!
    "It is the tragedy of the world that no one knows what he doesn't know--and the less a man knows, the more sure he is that he knows everything." Joyce Cary

3 members found this post helpful.

Haha, but I'm still working my way back to 2'!!

I did an opportunity class against the kids last year. Some of the kids were almost babies and I'm 42!! They looked so tiny on their little, often naughty ponies. And there's chunky munky moi on my 17.1 Oldenburg mare! I kinda just wanted to give the kids the blue ribbons.

Quote Originally Posted by ako View Post
    I feel a little rude showing against kids, even when they are better riders than me!!
    I would say, "Get over it." Most likely the kids don't care one lick. It's YOUR hang up. Many of the kids can ride circles around adults and don't have fears that older beginning adults do.

There is NOTHING sad about an adult that is qualified for a class competing against children. NOTHING.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

15 members found this post helpful.

If you feel bad showing against the little ones, just audit the class. I have done that, even though deep down I wanted to beat those cute little braided buggers! Shhhh...don't tell anyone!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    I would say, "Get over it." Most likely the kids don't care one lick. It's YOUR hang up. Many of the kids can ride circles around adults and don't have fears that older beginning adults do.

There is NOTHING sad about an adult that is qualified for a class competing against children. NOTHING.
    I completely agree! If the class allows adults, why worry about it? Have fun!
    Proud to have two Gold Prince POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

I currently show 18". Against kids. I've been jumping almost 2 years and started showing last May. I'm just working in 2' jumps at home now but they are mentally scary for me, even though we go over them just fine. I've also been division champ in 18" at nearly every show I've been to and I'm still showing it this year so far. I feel a little bad, since it's obviously something I've mastered, but going from 18 to 24" is 6 inches!!!

You feel like a weenie? I feel like a total weenie. But I can only do what I can confidently do and I am working up. We do have a lot of shows that offer 2' but some only offer 2'3"-2'6". When I do show 2' later this summer (my goal), I'll have to drop to 18" for those shows (it's a series) as no way I'm going up 9" this year.

I don't worry about the kids at all, I always think about the parents watching on the sides, haha. candy from a baby reference. But hey, if they want to win they better get better then me and my limited experience.

BTW, all my shows are schooling shows.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm an adult (although a lot younger then 40), and I compete against ribbon tailed children on their fat little ponies, and I loose. It's all about experience to build us up to a bigger height where the competition is more fair (how can I expect my super hot ottb to be anywhere near fat schooling ponies?)

I recently won my first class, and I made sure to high five the second place ribboner, I also overheard her trainer saying she needed to pick up her diagonal right away, so I gave her pointers and told her its taken me a year just to know how to pick up my right diagonal, I still can't do it without looking

Thanks, guys, you're making me feel better! Guess I'm gonna have to beat the cute kids in ribbons on fat schooling ponies, or pull on some big girl panties and raise the jumps (eek)!!

Though I do like the idea of searching far and wide for some lower adult classes to start...

Definitely search for some rinky-dink local shows. I rode in one yesterday that in another life I would have rather died than be seen at, let alone showing in! But I did get to hop around a few 2' hunter courses, and it is just what I need right now

(But oh, the things I saw yesterday!)

Quote Originally Posted by TBRedHead View Post
    I recently won my first class, and I made sure to high five the second place ribboner, I also overheard her trainer saying she needed to pick up her diagonal right away, so I gave her pointers and told her its taken me a year just to know how to pick up my right diagonal, I still can't do it without looking
    It's nice that you high-fived her, and I believe you meant well, but if I came in 2nd in a class and then the first place rider took it upon herself to start giving me pointers, I'd be pretty offended. It comes across (for me) like you think you're sooo much better. And it's even more inappropriate since she had a trainer right there--she really didn't need your help.

Having said all that, it really does sound like you meant well. But put yourself on the other side of the coin and it might feel differently than you intended.

6 members found this post helpful.

Default At the risk of being a kill joy

If you must show in a class that is full of children, for Pete's sake show hors concours, unless you or your horse is actually a beginner. If you used to show over decent sized stuff and just have a case of the clucks, then let the kids win the ribbons, and pat yourself on the back if you got around.

As for "wishing you could give the kids the blue ribbon" there is nothing stopping you from doing that.

And at a schooling show, if you really beat small children, then the judge obviously was not giving the proper extra credit points for "cute kid on pony vs. adult who really should be in the other ring, losing to people her own age and experience level. "

I've gone to shows where I got the willies and Trotted Every Single Fence. I had fun, got me out there, the more you get out and the more you jump, the less it bothers you.

This is the reason that all us old fuddy duddy's say that if you can't jump the jumps, stay home until you can.

12 members found this post helpful.

If the class is open to all ages, then I have no qualms about it. If I qualify, I'm doing it.

And I also stick to the rinky dink shows around here. Saves me money, I have the same amount of fun, and it builds our confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
    If you must show in a class that is full of children, for Pete's sake show hors concours, unless you or your horse is actually a beginner. If you used to show over decent sized stuff and just have a case of the clucks, then let the kids win the ribbons, and pat yourself on the back if you got around.

As for "wishing you could give the kids the blue ribbon" there is nothing stopping you from doing that.

And at a schooling show, if you really beat small children, then the judge obviously was not giving the proper extra credit points for "cute kid on pony vs. adult who really should be in the other ring, losing to people her own age and experience level. "

If the adult qualifies for the class, it doesn't matter if the kidlets are in it. As a spectator, you have absolutely NO idea what the circumstances are behind the rider and/or their horse and it's a bit obnoxious to make assumptions.

Just because someone is an adult does not mean they rode when they were younger. It also doesn't mean that if they did they still have the same skills or abilities.

And as the manager of a "rinky dinky schooling show," if I have a judge giving "extra" credit to cute kids and making huge assumptions about adult riders belonging in another ring, well, I'm not hiring them again. I pay them to judge according to the specs of the class, not to do my job as manager, which is to make sure the riders in the class should be in the class.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

16 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post

Agreed. If you are eligible for the division & it's where you are at riding wise then no reason you should feel funny showing in it. I work a lot of in-gates & the kids don't care WHO they show against...it's the adult riders who look around & wonder what others might be thinking.

When you say local shows....do you mean local A shows or local unrated anything shows? Our local unrated circuits have everything from crossrails, 2', 2'3" & so forth in the hunters & eq for adults.
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

Put me in the category of "Show Hors Concurs". It's less humiliating when small children ride circles around you (says someone who has been thoroughly beaten by small children on fat ponies on regular occasions)...
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Come to Nebraska! Our schooling show series started a division last year specifically for the "weeny adults" called the "Masters Division". You have to be at least 19 years of age, jumps can be up to 2' (which means they can be set lower, too), and trotting the course is not penalized. There are two flat classes, one walk/trot the other walk/trot/canter. It's an optional division - the host barns with larger populations of adult riders typically have excellent turnout.

The other option I've seen is to ride in the 18" or cross-rail classes with the kids but don't ride for a placing. I like the alternative of a separate division better.

2 members found this post helpful.

Default I'm replying only to those who have the "willies"

As I said, "unless the horse or the rider is a beginner".

Technically, when I started showing, as an adult, I was eligible for everything "beginner". As in "never won a ribbon or hasn't won xxx blue ribbons.

And as a teen and young adult, I rode in a barn that did not show, but sold horses capable of jumping around a GP course, 4'6" was nothing for us.

So... could I have shown against kids in pigtails and true adult beginners? Yes, according to the rules, I could have.

I have no problem with adult beginners. At a schooling show, do some judges judge adults in classes with kids harder? Many I know do, only because most adults hearts won't break if they are 7th instead of 6th. Is it fair? No, but as adults, we've already learned that life isn't, so we won't cry if we don't place on our beloved old school pony.

I'm not saying that an adult doesn't have the right to show in any class they are actually eligible for. I'm not saying that most of the little kids can ride circles (and do) around the adults. I'm saying that as an adult, you need to ask yourself, regardless of the "rules" if you truly belong in that class or if you just want a pretty ribbon to justify the entry fees.

Me, if I have someone else setting up the jumps, watering the ring and moving stuff around, it's all good, don't really care about a $2 ribbon.

Until it means something.