The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default When did Ebay become such a "STORE" site? What happend to USED?

I'm so frustrated. I'm searching for a few things (breast plate, reins, bit) and thought I'd check out Ebay to see if there were any used items that fit the bill. After sifting through "store" after "store" I gave up. I remember when Ebay was actually used for personal sellers. Now it seems there are more stores than anything with page after page of the same items. And the worst part about it is, when I looked up a few of those store items, they were MORE expensive than what I could order them for in a catalog/online. Sigh. Where do we go for used items these days? (I've checked Tack Trader and Bits and Barter, but can't find what I need.) Guess I'll have to wait for my next local consignment sale and see if I can find what I need there. Too bad it's not till September.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

6 members found this post helpful.

Have you looked at the tack groups on Facebook? English Tack Trader is one; you can search using the magnifying glass in the upper right corner.

Did you try the used filter in your ebay search? That way it weeds out all of the new stuff from stores at least.
    "Be the change you want to see in the world."
    ~Mahatma Gandhi

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by besttwtbever View Post
    Did you try the used filter in your ebay search? That way it weeds out all of the new stuff from stores at least.
    Good idea. Thanks. I will try that.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Adhuntr.com sifts through many websites such as all of Craigslist. Has helped me out big time and is one of my biggest secret weapons for bargain horse shopping!

Default ebay wants to be Amazon

For the last couple years their policies have been anti small seller. They forgot HOW they got where they are.
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers.
    http://bluemoongrafixva.webs.com

3 members found this post helpful.

Ditto what the previous poster said about Facebook. Many, many pages for buying and selling horses, tack, etc.
    "Life is too short to be a slave to the whims of others." -- RugBug, COTH

Quote Originally Posted by grandprixjump View Post
    For the last couple years their policies have been anti small seller. They forgot HOW they got where they are.
    This!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Yep, eBay has driven out lots of sellers with their policy changes over the years. I used to buy things there, but usually haven't found what I'm looking for in more recent times. I agree about checking Facebook groups if you use it. I belong to several tack sale/trade groups which are based in my state and local area.

No suggestions, just wanted to agree with this wholeheartedly. I need a new (used) HS bit, and I thought I'd have no trouble getting one on ebay for a reasonable price- soon I realize that not only are there not many used ones, but many of them are for sale for even more than I'd pay for one new at Dover or Smartpak...drives me crazy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Goldilox View Post
    No suggestions, just wanted to agree with this wholeheartedly. I need a new (used) HS bit, and I thought I'd have no trouble getting one on ebay for a reasonable price- soon I realize that not only are there not many used ones, but many of them are for sale for even more than I'd pay for one new at Dover or Smartpak...drives me crazy!!!
    I know, it is crazy. For the same price or lower I am certainly going to use a well-known company like Smart Pack instead of some EBay dealer. Sigh. And I don't do Facebook any longer.

Someone needs to create a copy of the OLD eBay and only allow used items. .

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Maybe I need to reopen a FB account.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Default English Tack Trader on FB

Quote Originally Posted by Jo View Post
    Have you looked at the tack groups on Facebook? English Tack Trader is one; you can search using the magnifying glass in the upper right corner.
    I usually don't go on Facebook much but this forum English Tack Trader is really the best!! I have bought a few things on it and the prices are great (don't forget to bargain if you feel the price is a little high). Overall much more convenient than Ebay for those little things.

IMO Ebay works when you really want to move a saddle for a cheap price or a "lot of tack" again for cheap. Ebay limits many of us small time sellers to $500 a month and frankly the Ebay/Paypal fees for us to sell an item are high.

Click the "used" option on the left side of the screen when searching and you'll block out all the stores.
    Last edited by belgianWBLuver; Apr. 30, 2013 at 01:34 PM.

Default I need to check out the tack trading on FB, but...

Are there any buyer or seller protections on the FB stuff--I mean for big ticket things like buying a saddle. I liked how Ebay had the user ratings, etc.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TrotTrotPumpkn View Post
    Are there any buyer or seller protections on the FB stuff--I mean for big ticket things like buying a saddle. I liked how Ebay had the user ratings, etc.
    I'm wondering the same thing- looking at English Tack Trader now and it does seem like a good resource, but I am concerned- I'd be especially concerned if I was buying a big ticket item like a saddle. You do have to request to join the group, so I suppose they can review potential group members to weed out obvious scammers, but after that, I don't know.

On FB, not really beyond the credit card protections (if you use paypal with a credit card, not your bank balance, you have some power to reverse).

On ebay there are so many buyer protections it scares off many sellers. Though, truthfully, given the quantity and variety of stuff sold, I don't see how they could do it any other way.

Ebay changed a while ago when they started only accepting paypal and the seller could not leave negative feedback. It is all about money. Unfortunately, Craigslist is regional and ebay is worldwide... UGH.. I used to buy a ton of things off of ebay, now I save money!
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Quote Originally Posted by TrotTrotPumpkn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldilox View Post
    I'm wondering the same thing- looking at English Tack Trader now and it does seem like a good resource, but I am concerned- I'd be especially concerned if I was buying a big ticket item like a saddle. You do have to request to join the group, so I suppose they can review potential group members to weed out obvious scammers, but after that, I don't know.
    I totally agree - but for the smaller things I've had very good luck. I usually leave a good review as a comment in the original post. They you can click on that persons name, go to their page and see good reviews with each item.
    True its different and a little more complex than EBAY but I really like it for those small purchases.
    BTW I always use a CC thru the Paypal service. If Paypal wont help me with a bad seller - then I can rely on my CC company help me.
    Saddles from FB? Maybe not, but, true, you can avoid those pesky EBAY/PAYPAL fees being rolled into the selling price and if the seller is local all the better...

Quote Originally Posted by Beam Me Up View Post
    On FB, not really beyond the credit card protections (if you use paypal with a credit card, not your bank balance, you have some power to reverse).
    PayPal has decent buyer protection even if you use a bank card: https://www.paypal.com/gb/webapps/mpp/buyer-protection

I have a heard a few people say they won't take PayPal because PP always decides in favour of the buyer.

ditto English Tack Trader on FB. Just got a pair of brand new FITS Beka denim breeches on there for $70. There are tons of other deals too that I've seen, from schooling stuff to show tack.

Another place I've bought from is the classifieds forum on HGS. Lots of honest people on there, although I do recommend reading the thread they have on there about good/bad buyers/sellers if there is a purchase you want to make.

Quote Originally Posted by RolyPolyPony View Post
    PayPal has decent buyer protection even if you use a bank card: https://www.paypal.com/gb/webapps/mpp/buyer-protection

I have a heard a few people say they won't take PayPal because PP always decides in favour of the buyer.

Just to clarify--eBay bought paypal. For eBay purchases, PP/eBay always find in favor of the buyer (return item, full refund).

For non-eBay purchases there a lot of exclusions, including "personal transactions." So I think you're good if you buy from an online tack store, but I'm not sure whether you'd be covered in buying a saddle off an individual on FB.