The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default If poultices don't really work, what to use on hard working feet?

I have read threads on here questioning any efficacy of poultices on hooves. What then might you use to help soothe hard working hooves? I have a 16.2+ hh OLD mare that is barefoot and has super quality feet that almost never crack or chip. She shows in the AA or low A/O Hunters and I would like to "do something" for her feet at the end of show days that might actually help. What would you suggest?

If the feet are not sore, cracking, or chipping, then what exactly are you wanting to "do" to them? If they were sore I would think she would be telling you this by being lame/off/whathaveyou. If she isn't, then I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "do something"...what more is there to do to perfectly healthy not lame feet?
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Obviously, we do some different extra things at shows, when our horses are working hard and in different environments than normal, Ulcergard, liniments, leg wraps, etc. Lots of folks, still use poultices on legs and in feet. I've done the poultice thing, myself, but I hate messing with the stuff, especially if it doesn't really help.

I put mine in SoftRides at night at shows. He is barefoot too. During the day while he is standing around I pack with Magic Cushion.

Seems like the last thing you would want to do is use poultice or anything that makes them soft.
    friend of bar.ka

1 members found this post helpful.

When I transitioned my TB to barefoot I used Sore No Mores poultice on his soles the whole wet paper bag and wrap thing. He was so much more comfortable once I started poulticing his feet. They never got soft or anything. Poultice is a drawing agent so shouldn't make feet soft. How do I know this stuff works? Cause I used it on my knees when a very large untrained dog pulled me down on out metal kennel grates at work. My knees were HUGE! I poultices my knees and wrapped them. Sweet bliss I did it for two nights and the swelling was gone at the end plus the pain relief from the Arnica.
    --Luck is what happens when preparedness meets opportunity--

1 members found this post helpful.

I am very much not into goops and potions in general, but a good old-fashioned pine-tar based hoof packing makes me feel better, at least, and seems to make at least the sole and frogs feel a bit better after a hard run on hard footing.
    Click here before you buy.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Magic Cushion.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    Magic Cushion.
    Doesn't Magic Cushion test? I thought it contained curcumin.

Last jug I bought had a big shiny gold sticker on it saying "Curcumin Free Since 200X" (I forget if it was 2008 or 2009)

Big second for Magic Cushion
    healthywhitetea.com castingforrecovery.org
    Laugh it up fuzzball

Life, like all other games, becomes fun when one realizes that it's just a game – Nerijus Stasiulis

What the heck is curcumin? Do you mean capsacian?

Curcumin comes from Tumeric.

I do not find curcumin on either the FEI or the USEF list.

Personally, at the end of a hard day, I soak feet in ice water for 30 min.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by rcloisonne View Post
    Doesn't Magic Cushion test? I thought it contained curcumin.
    I've heard that the Magic Cushion Xtreme version contains something that tests. I have never had call to use that version, so I wouldn't know. If Magic Cushion original formula itself tests, that would be news to me, and probably news to the white coats at the last horse show my horse got tested.
    - Harry Dresden

Magic Cushion. It's amazing.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I saw a top eventer use frozen peas in a feed tub for her horse's feet after going on hard ground, she liked how they really got up into all the creases/crevices. Plus cheap and biodegradable!

Magic Cushion.

If I had a sore footed horse after jumping, I'd ice the feet then pack w/ MC.

I don't know if the extreme tests or not, I've only used it on my retiree after a pulled shoe, but man oh man that stuff works much better than regular MC. Harder (more difficult) to apply, but impressive results.

Quote Originally Posted by Judysmom View Post
    Magic Cushion.

If I had a sore footed horse after jumping, I'd ice the feet then pack w/ MC.

I don't know if the extreme tests or not, I've only used it on my retiree after a pulled shoe, but man oh man that stuff works much better than regular MC. Harder (more difficult) to apply, but impressive results.
    Does it really work that much better? My guy is tender-footed for a day or two after he's shod, and I like to keep him wearing his happy feet. All he's doing these days are local shows so whether it does or it doesn't, testing is not an issue. I'd been more than satisfied with regular MC, but if the Xtreme is worth the extra money, I'll certainly switch.
    - Harry Dresden

Curcumin does not test. It is one of the main ingredients in Platinum Recover. Lots of racehorses are on it.

I am unaware of any research supporting any kind of hoof packing/poultice actually providing any benefit beyond placebo effect. Icing, however, does reduce inflammation in the feet. I would go with that.