The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle fit question

Just a quick (i hope) question about saddle fit. BTW, we're having the saddle fitter out, for the first time, sometime in the next few weeks. I ride hunters and am looking for a high end used saddle. I'm having a hard time finding one that i think will fit me. I have a 34" inseam and i'm 21" from hip to knee. If any of you has measurements like this (or similar) can you tell me what brand and size saddle fits you? I'd like to have a saddle or two available to show the fitter when they get here. Need to keep the budget under $3000.
    Last edited by goodmorningsunshine; Apr. 29, 2013 at 08:55 AM.

I have a 33" inseam and am 21" hip to outside of knee. Right now, I'm riding in a Decoucoux Oldara, 17.5" with a 3A (long, forward) flap. It fits my leg quite well. The other saddles that have fit my thigh and had a decent balance for me were a 17" Butet with a 2.5 (long/foward) flap and someone else's custom Stackhouse, no flap codes, but the flap was forward and measured about 14.5" by 14.5". I don't need a super forward flap, just the next level of forward up from "normal".

I tried sizing up the seat to 18" in used saddles when I was having trouble finding a foward flap and that didn't work for me, as it threw the center of balance off. I'm pretty thin and found that the only way to get the right fit was to fit my butt/pelvis to the seat and then find a flap that allowed my leg to fit on it...has to be foward and has to be one up on length too, or the knee pad/roll isn't in the right place and my knee isn't at the most foward part of the flap.
    Last edited by Canaqua; Apr. 29, 2013 at 09:36 AM.

Oh, and I was shopping used too, which made things harder. Few other people in my barn are as tall as I am, so, while I could borrow various saddle to try, none really fit my leg. Forward flaps were hard to come by in consignment stores. I ended up trialling saddles (through the mail, so it took some time) from places like Fine Used Saddles, Maryland Tack Exchange... I finally ended up buying the used Devoucoux I have from the Used Devoucoux folks in NJ, after I was able to borrow an 18" Oldara with a 3A flap and make an educated guess that the 17.5" with the same flap would be just about right, it was.

Don't know what kind of horse you are trying to fit, that will make a difference too, so you know what general shape of tree you need to start with.

I'm 37" 23" hip to knee.

Saddles that fit me. Tad Coffin, Older Albion Lengend, Bates (gag) and black country with a custom forward flap ($2600).

Saddles that did not fit me. Collegiate Diploma, pessoa, Albion K2, Courbette, Toulouse Jeninne.

My horse was a more difficult fit as well, which made it more challenging. I was also on a under 2k budget (which both the Tad adn the BC exceeded).