The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone want to help name a bird?

Many of you may know that I have been a breeder of large parrots for almost 30 years. For the last 15 or so years my 'dream' has been to raise a Green Wing Macaw for a personal pet. After trying with 3 different pairs I have finally given up. (Green Wings are one of the harder macaw species to breed in captivity) I am betting the current pair will produce next breeding season since I bought a baby..... lol

For my birthday this year I went out and bought me a Green Wing baby! The baby was born on March 13.

This is him (I broke down and had him DNA sexed) the day before I picked him up. (5 days old)
    http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps8d93d0f4.jpg

Getting bigger:
    http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps64fb69f1.jpg

Feathers coming in
    http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/p...psff4a1fee.jpg

And today (46 days old) Getting more color.
    http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps80d7fb35.jpg

I have been tossing around Gimli (dwarf on Lord of the Rings), Dobby (house elf on Harry Potter) and one friend suggested Tim Macaw (play off of Tim Mcgraw country/western singer)

I like unusual names, but attention needs to be paid to words a birds mumble could mess up. As in Tucker would most likely be said with more of an 'F' than a 'T'.

I forgot to add a picture of an adult Greenwing macaw

http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/p...s/100_0722.jpg
    (the red ones)

You really need to ask the bird what it wants to be called. If you "listen" they will often tell you.

1 members found this post helpful.

I used to think all babies were cute/beautiful...I can now say I was wrong. But he is definitely getting there now that some feathers are coming in. The adult is gorgeous!

I have to say I love "Tim McCaw".

I love Tim McCaw .... they are beautiful birds

Roscoe!

Quote Originally Posted by Wraper2 View Post
    I like unusual names, but attention needs to be paid to words a birds mumble could mess up. As in Tucker would most likely be said with more of an 'F' than a 'T'.
    Thanks for the laugh this morning! I needed it!

Very cool pictures - I never knew what those parrots were called. Since they live so long, I would not go with a current personality even though I like the Tim Macaw idea. He will be classic, but do you want to call the bird "Tim"? Not too fond of the name Dobby due to his sad end in the movie.

How about Neville Longbottom or Hagrid or even Dumbledore from Harry Potter? Or if you like Lord of the Rings, Samwise or Gandalf?

Not sure what other names, but I like Barton, Chester, Redford, or to use a horsey theme:
    George Morris
    Rodney Jenkins
    Michael Matz
    Bruce Davison

You get the drift there lol!

Quote Originally Posted by fourmares View Post
    You really need to ask the bird what it wants to be called. If you "listen" they will often tell you.
    That can be so right! Our Citron-Crested Cockatoo ended up naming herself. While we were waiting for her DNA results we were just calling her "Baby Bird" or "B-Bird" for short. Well, wouldn't you know that in just a matter of a couple of days she was shouting out both "Baby Bird" & "B-Bird", so we just left it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    That can be so right! Our Citron-Crested Cockatoo ended up naming herself. While we were waiting for her DNA results we were just calling her "Baby Bird" or "B-Bird" for short. Well, wouldn't you know that in just a matter of a couple of days she was shouting out both "Baby Bird" & "B-Bird", so we just left it at that.
    I have a beautiful little girl citron who came to us at the age of 1 year (she's an '89 model) after her original owner became allergic. She came with the name, Jane and said it so Jane it stayed.

OP: I like Gimlet for a Greenwing. I'm not a macaw fan in particular, but if there's one thing I regret not doing in my life it's buying the huge, wild caught (but tame) Greenwing that was in my local bird store for a couple of months back in the early 90s. He was such a beautifyl soul, if you know what I mean, as well as being drop-dead gorgeous. I recently told the store owner (yep, she's still in business) of my regret and she told me she still sees the bird frequently (owner brings him in for nail and wing trimming) and he's doing great!

I'm too old now to get involved with baby parrots as I know they'll outlive me and I worry about what will happen to them. Even my cockatiels are in their mid 20s but you'd never know it!

I just asked for help on naming my new kitteh, who just picked the name Gus. I was toying with the idea of calling him Stanley. I also like Roscoe that someone mentioned or Boscoe.

He is super cool looking, keep us posted on his growth with pictures!

Fezzik from the Pricess Bride. And because its an F- he will love to say his name!