The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bringing horses home tomorrow - exciting (and scary)!

Just had to share - bought a 5-acre place in March, tomorrow is the big day moving 2 of the 3 from boarding to my backyard! We have 5 stalls, a 50x50 indoor arena"ette", a sand ring and 4 very lush grass paddocks.

Still scrambling a bit, have to do a grain run and fix/test the polywire tomorrow, shelters still to go up, hay was delayed by rain and coming tomorrow, Tonight I lovingly wiped the very dusty and cobwebby stalls with Murphy's Oil and my daughter spread shavings (actually she was kind of arranging them, with a nice margin )

Some pics:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=19ab8e563c

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...ize=1632%2C920

Wish me luck!

6 members found this post helpful.

Congrats! And good luck! Your place looks lovely!
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Very, very nice!
    Sheilah

Just think, tonight you will be looking out of your own window at your horses in their new paddocks. What lovlier sight?
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Looks great!

Do you have a plan for the compost pile? What sort of fly control will you use? How often will you clean the stalls? Do you have a good place to tie up the horses for grooming? Do you have a secure place for tack? Do you have all the tools you need and a tractor with a mower attachment and a harrow? Or, will you pay someone to drag your pastures and arena as well as mow?

These are all things to think about when you get a new place. There will be gates that annoy you, boards that need immediate repairs and at least one horse will chew on wood; especially when they are first home and you need to slowly introduce them to the lush pastures. You will tweak a few things as your horses settle in and maybe change the set up in more drastic ways down the road to make it work better for you.

It will be a lifestyle much different than boarding. You will be closer to your horses because you are providing their care. And, with all it's frustrations, it will still be worth it to know they are safe and home just outside your door.

Congratulations!
    Is chasing cattle considered playing with your food?.

War veteran

There isn't a better feeling in the world! I have 20 acres, 6 stalls and currently 6 pastures (with 6-8 more going in) and I brought my horses home for the first time in January of last year. It was just about the neatest thing ever as far as I was concerned. Of course, I've spent more time on the tractor than I have on my horses, but it's still worth it.

Your place is LOVELY!! And it looks MUCh bigger than 5 acres. Lucky you!!
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

1 members found this post helpful.

Have fun and enjoy this time with your guys home, in your own place.

Beautiful property!!!! We had a farm until I was 21 and then we tried boarding for 5-6 years. I was so nervous to bring the horses home again! You will be fine and enjoy having them home.

It looks lovely!!

We are all here for you when you need any advice or have questions!

Good luck and enjoy!!!

very exciting! that's great that you bought it in march and are into it already. we have been looking for months with no end in sight, haha.
    My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE

All good questions, microbovine! Most of the answers are under discussion or underway, and I know it won't stop there. I count this forum as one of my best resources

Busy day, but here's a few pictures of Cody and Honey at home.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...ize=920%2C1632

They got their first 20 minutes of grass this year, next task is to increase them slowly - although I have limited dry lots in the meantime. I'm aiming for as much turn-out as possible.

We really thought we'd be looking for much longer, were very fortunate to have this place work out as it has just about everything already set up. The longer you look, the more time you'll have to save up

Not really loving the mysterious lack of hot water this afternoon - I (and my coworkers) hope it's back tomorrow!

pics are private! love the name honey, btw.
    My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE

How very exciting! I love your place! Sorry I can't see the pics of everyone in their new home, though.

Congratulations! So exciting! I've just found a piece of land after TWO YEARS of searching for the right fit, so I'm headed in this direction too. Very fun project (putting in a modular house) but so many decisions to make! 0.0 Have a blast in the new place, it looks fantastic!

Cant View the pics, But it sounds awesome!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

I didn't sleep for the first few nights they were home. Kept going out to make sure they were okay, the fences were upright, etc. They'd look at me like I was nuts. I calmed down after about four nights.

Congratulations. I love having my horses in my back yard.

OK, pictures should be visible now. Cody is my 16yo OTTB - I love him but he drives me crazy when he's a jackass. Which happens when there's work involved. Honey is a 2yo Clydesdale filly my husband brought home last year - I think it was April Fools Day...

Congratulations! There's not much better than being able to look out and watch your horses being horses. Wishing you many happy years in your new home!

Beautiful place -- and beautiful horses! I am totally envious. I hope you keep us posted with how it goes, such as what you are finding that is unexpected, good or bad.