The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

He drowns the rats? 0.0 Look, I'm not saying he has to snuggle each one and call it darling, but that's pretty dang inhumane. I've seen a trashbag on the truck tailpipe and while not my choice, a helluva lot nicer than drowning.

And sorry, dressage, I know about rental goats, but have not stumbled upon any rental ferrets yet! Perhaps you can start a new and lucrative business!

2 members found this post helpful.

Yeah I thought it sounded pretty inhumane too. To be honest, it keeps me from considering purchasing one of those traps.

I much prefer making an area inhospitable to pests than killing them. Except, of course, insects!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    Perhaps you can start a new and lucrative business!
    A rental barn cat/ferret agency! I think YES!

hmmm... maybe I could avoid the horrors of having to make rats cannabalize each other by using the rat traps mkevent mentioned with poison in them? That way they wouldn't be able to get out and poison the cats/dog, but BO wouldn't have to *shudder* dispose of them...
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

We have a rat zapper in the space above the tack room, and when the pest control guy comes out to check it every couple of week he finds tracks ON and AROUND it, but has yet to find a rat IN the damn thing.

We have plenty of snakes around here...but how does one find/trap/acquire a rat snake??

runnjump, they usually just show up where there is food and something to climb on. Since I am a giant bio geek, I confess, I go look for things, flipping rocks and logs like a kid on a treasure hunt. Snake trapping usually requires drift fences and very careful monitoring so you don't have mortality and probably a state permit.

dressage, you know, the cannibalism may not be a bad thing -- if you only have one left who has eaten all the other rats, you now have SuperRat and you can train him to your will to devour all the other rats and rule in rat supremacy! (ok, maybe I've read too many books...)

4 members found this post helpful.

I was going to say that I have a large rat terrier who my husband tries to give away to any person who comes by- and she might help. But then I realised that I don't have any rats-(or moles) and she might be the reason. I think I'll show this thread to my husband.

PS- Poisoning is a pretty long and brutal death- so even if the poison was inside a live trap where the poisoned rats wouldn't risk harming rat eating critters- I wouldn't do that to a critter.

3 members found this post helpful.

Just want to say that I am all about being humane. I was the person who bought live traps w/ the plan to relocate the mice I caught when I lived in an old house in Alexandria, VA. I ended up going with the zapper, because they wouldn't go near the live trap. I thought I had a single mouse. The first night I was up 6 times to empty the zapper. I got a second zapper, which was defective, and I opened it to find a mouse blown inside out - to this day, it is the grossest thing I have ever seen; though I suppose it WAS a quick death.

Now that I live on a farm, and now that I know what serious disease vectors rodents are; I vote for the most efficient way to get rid of all of the rodents as quickly as possible. We have a small farm with 3 killer cats and 2 livestock guardian dogs, and they do a good job. I would not say that the cats kill the rodents in a humane way - natural, yes; but quick & painless, not so much. In OP's case, the cats are inside at night; so they aren't a deterrent. I also like snakes, but I would be concerned about having snakes slithering around my barn, and I don't think the horses would appreciate that. I would also probably give myself a heart attack when one startled me -- especially if it was one that could climb up.

Personally, glue boards and drowning are not for me. But, zappers and lockable bait stations have worked. Though I do think one would need multiple zappers and would need to move them around -- and make sure they are large enough for rats. We have not had luck with snap traps, though many do. I have heard of multiple people shooting the rats w/ a .22 even.

One just has to weigh risk of disease and fire/expense due to chewed up wiring, and then take whatever actions one can live with.

Honestly, I personally like rodents and think they are quite cute. If they didn't carry and spread disease and eat wiring, I'd be fine sharing space with them.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

How probable is fire due to chewed up wires? Starting to get scared here...

And, how safe are rat zappers to cats? I don't want to put a whole new meaning on the phrase "curiosity killed the cat". That does seem like a pretty good option, though- as long as it doesn't hurt the cats.
    ~DQ wanna-be~

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Wasn't there something like a non toxic recipe, like equal parts flower and plaster of paris or concrete....they eat it and the concrete activates....
    Also, does anyone know the recipe for this? That does sound like it would work pretty well, as long as it was tasty enough.
    ~DQ wanna-be~

I use warfarin coated wheat. Usually at the end of winter when the rats/mice are hungry. What's good is that you can see if the bait has been eaten, and put out more if necessary.

Put it in behind/in/under places where cats/dogs/birds can't reach, or in the middle of a cardboard tube preferably where they come inside.
    They tend to run around beside walls.
    When they have eaten they go back to their nests to die.

A fox terrier would have great fun harassing them!

Winter is just starting down here, and after a few visits, now no rats!

I would NOT use poison. We've been having a major rat problem @ my barn, and I b!tched about it for months--BO only did something about it *after* my rat-poop-induced vet bill and subsequent, ah, friendly little letter.

Unfortunately, BO chose poison (which I was NOT happy about, and I warned that it could be really, really bad if one of the horses/dogs/cats got ahold of it). Well, last night my friend's dog (friend lives @ the farm & takes care of the horses) started coughing up blood, we rushed her to the ER vet, & it turns out she had eaten rat poison. Her whole right lung was filled w/blood. She had to spend the night @ the vet's, very well could have died, and my friend had a $2,900 bill to pay. NOT cool.

We will be having a friendly little chat w/BO soon. He needs to get rid of the rats w/out endangering any other animals. The rat issue has cost friend & me a combined total of over $3,000. (I had ordered one of those electrocution chambers, but canceled it when BO assured us that *he* would take care of the rat problem--I am SO regretting this decision!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    He drowns the rats? 0.0 Look, I'm not saying he has to snuggle each one and call it darling, but that's pretty dang inhumane. I've seen a trashbag on the truck tailpipe and while not my choice, a helluva lot nicer than drowning.

And sorry, dressage, I know about rental goats, but have not stumbled upon any rental ferrets yet! Perhaps you can start a new and lucrative business!
    I though this too when my mechanic husband pointed out exhaust can come out really really hot, maybe in the 1000s of degrees? It takes awhile for enough carbon monoxide to build up, the animal is subjected to burning before then. He's asleep or I'd be able to explain this a lot more

I use rat zappers, but my horse is great at catching rats and mice in his water bucket.

Rat zapper. Blinking red light goes on when its "filled". Disposal is pick up, tilt, body slides out. Never touch the zapper with your unloved hands, no human scent should be on it. It works and well worth the ~$50 it costs and totally re-usable.
    I wouldn't use it if I had kittens around, but with cats I don't think they could get more than a paw in it.

I dont know if its true or an ole wives tale, but I heard you leave coke (Soda pop) out and they drink it. They say they cant burp and they drink it and die. I think its worth a shot because its safe for other critters like cats and dogs and its cheap. An old farmer in the next town over swore by it. Disclaimer... I never tried it, and dont know if its true.

Ack, I feel your pain.
    A few years back, for some mysterious reason, my area was invaded with rats. I'd hear people at the stores and post office complaining about it, there were rats at home, at the barn...Ugggh.

I tried several things and in the end what worked was poison. I have a dog, but she's smart and picky and I didn't use poison in the house: I scoured the yard to find rat holes ( I found many!) and poured the poison down the holes. I also got the rat zappers to place in the kitchen and got quite a few big ones in those. I HATE rats!

At the barn, the BO also used poison. She'd sprinkle it on horse manure in stalls after the horses were turned out (stalls being closed and off limits to the dogs). I really think she would not have succeeded without poisoning them.

I have seen amazing pictures on the internet of the amount of rats a Jack Russell terrier can kill...impressive!
    Good luck.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by Chall View Post
    Rat zapper. Blinking red light goes on when its "filled". Disposal is pick up, tilt, body slides out. Never touch the zapper with your unloved hands, no human scent should be on it. It works and well worth the ~$50 it costs and totally re-usable.
    I wouldn't use it if I had kittens around, but with cats I don't think they could get more than a paw in it.
    This! Only I use mine with "unloved" (surely meaning "ungloved"...LOL) hands, and I still catch mice, as well as the rat that was in my barn last year (which I didn't even know was there until I found him/her in the Zapper).

The best bait I've found for it are those Dumor Oatmeal/Honey/Raisin horse treats from Tractor Supply. Rodents LOVE them, and a 4-lb bag is fairly cheap (around $5-6), and they're a no-mess bait for the Zapper.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

I just wanted to mention about poison- beyond the danger to the anomals you don't want to kill... poison will kill by causing the animal to die by bleeding- out their eyes- anus, nose ... they bleed a lot- while they are still alive- and they can track the blood around while they are dying. I worked at a farm where a skunk wound up getting poisoned and in the feed room- the blood was everywhere and it was a really gross chore to clean.

I also had a trunk of old drawings from art school stored in my parent's shed. Years later I opened the trunk and was perplexed that someone had scribbled all over my drawings with a red pen- until I realized that the red pen was the tail marks of bleeding mice. Gross.

Yep, the most common poisons essentially dissolve blood vessel walls so the animal becomes a giant bleed-out sack with fur. And it comes out all over while they wander around slowly dying. This was a common occurrance in our old office. If I found one staggering, I would quickly take it outside and drop a cinder block on it in a mercy killing. HATE.

Interesting, I didn't notice any blood at all either on the dead critters I found in the yard, or around...most of them died in their holes, I guess...maybe the poison I used was different? I dunno. But I have no qualms about it when it comes to rats.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!