The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I agree with others that the show was nice to see but cheesy in parts. When they showed the yearlings running in the field, why did they all have a square shaved patch in the middle of their backs?

I'm guessing that was the first of their brands, or one of them, each carries 3 IIRC.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TBPONY View Post
    I agree with others that the show was nice to see but cheesy in parts. When they showed the yearlings running in the field, why did they all have a square shaved patch in the middle of their backs?
    They were just branded
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

1 members found this post helpful.

If anybody missed it, you can watch it online here: http://video.kera.org/video/2364999318

I just watched and enjoyed, lots of beautiful scenery and some interesting history!
    Gallant Gesture "Liam" 1995 chestnut ottb gelding
    Mr. Painter "Remy" 2006 chestnut ottb gelding
    Stories about our adventures:http://tbatx.wordpress.com

I am watching it with my son as I type this. Yes, there are some cheesy moments (you can't have artistic license without it, can you? HA!), but a 6-year-old doesn't realize that. He is mesmerized!

"Momma, when I'm grown I'll still be riding, and I'll ride THOSE horses."

Really, this is a program that's been well-done and put together. I'm glad they did it! (we're just to the foaling...but so many do that bait-and-switch. Not everyone will catch it. It's dumb, but it's nothing unusual)
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Thanks Bearcat and Kryswyn for confirming that the patches on the yearlings were from brands!

Beautiful, really neat horses. I was one of those disappointed to see the tight side reins, though. The comparison of the mare on the longe line (her side reins weren't nearly so tight) to the stallions in Vienna was striking to me.
    I don't know anything about teaching a horse to do the airs above the ground, but my own impression was that the tight side reins were getting in the way, and the horses were performing in spite of the side reins, rather than getting support from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Fillabeana View Post
    Beautiful, really neat horses. I was one of those disappointed to see the tight side reins, though. The comparison of the mare on the longe line (her side reins weren't nearly so tight) to the stallions in Vienna was striking to me.
    I don't know anything about teaching a horse to do the airs above the ground, but my own impression was that the tight side reins were getting in the way, and the horses were performing in spite of the side reins, rather than getting support from them.
    I haven't had the chance to sit down and watch the whole thing UNINTERRUPTED but I was a bit disconcerted at the force with which the trainer was hitting the hind legs of the horse in the capriole. You could hear the thwack.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I agree about parts of it being cheesy but the visuals were gorgeous! Very wonderful to see more close ups of their methods.
    My little girl, Katai - 13.3 Haflinger/?
    and her blog

The eastern edge of the eventing wasteland

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    I haven't had the chance to sit down and watch the whole thing UNINTERRUPTED but I was a bit disconcerted at the force with which the trainer was hitting the hind legs of the horse in the capriole. You could hear the thwack.
    The trainer never hits the horse. I thought the same thing at first. There is one more shot towards the end from a different angle. The trainer never touches the horse with the whip, but makes a loud CRACK, right behind the hind legs. It certainly has the desired effect! I am sure at some point for the horse it is part of the routine and in unnecessary but it makes for nice showmanship. I am sure I will get flamed for that last remark too.

Anyway, I thought it was well done and the cinematography was beautiful. It was a real treat to see the breeding farm and watch the mares and young stock work. The mare under saddle was stunning! I was interested in the tack as well and how they tied up the ROUND stirrups. The saddles are unusual and it was nice to see some close ups of them. I really enjoys the slow motion HD of the Airs, without stirrups too boot! That guy had a helluva grip with his legs! ;-) And the landing looked pretty hard for the rider too.

I was surprised to see girls responsible for breaking in the young stallions as the SRS is so traditionally male up until the last couple of years.

Overall I thought it was well done, despite the mare and foal switch.
    "You're horse is behind the vertical!"
    "Of course he's behind the vertical, I haven't jumped it yet!"
    - NLK
    "I am a sand dancer... just here for the jumps!" - Schrammo
    www.nshaonline.org

Another person here who didn't notice the foal switch (other than his coat color).

I watched the program with 3 non-horsey friends of both sexes and was really kept on my toes answering questions! Did my best -- now looking for a good book to further their horsey education! They asked all sorts of interesting and interested questions ... except during the "Live Cover" scene -- during which the room went strangely silent!
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

2 members found this post helpful.