The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Smile Lippizan Stallions on PBS 5/1

FYI - Looks like they're going to have a story on the Lippizan Stallions on Nature, on PBS, Wednesday evening.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

4 members found this post helpful.

Thank you Velvet, have it on the calendar.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

1 members found this post helpful.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

You're welcome!
    Last edited by Velvet; Apr. 29, 2013 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Fixing an autocorrect correction!!!!!
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Nice! I typically enjoy Nature and the topics they cover - I hope they do a good job with these wonderful creatures, the tradition, and the school itself.

Looking forward to it! Thanks for the heads up!

Now...to remember to set the DVR when I get home!

2 members found this post helpful.

I saw previews last night that were beautiful, so I expect it will be a good program.
    Charter member of the I-Refuse-to-Relinquish-My-Whip Clique

2 members found this post helpful.

Bump. Don't forget!
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Did anyone ever see that show on A&E some years ago: Lipizzaners and ballet? I think it was called "pas de deux." I recorded it and rewatch periodically. Lovely. Only bad thing was they kept lingering on the ORCHESTRA quite a bit. I really don't need to see the oboist: I want to see the HORSES! LOL

Just watched it! Was sort of cheesy (sp?) in some parts of the narrative but loved the film footage and learning about how they basically manage the horses.

Do they sell the ones that don't make it the breeding shed or show?
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

Quote Originally Posted by Blume Farm View Post
    Just watched it! Was sort of cheesy (sp?) in some parts of the narrative but loved the film footage and learning about how they basically manage the horses.

Do they sell the ones that don't make it the breeding shed or show?
    I minded them pretending the foal being born and the foal being led were the same - and if I had any doubt, the fact that the mares were different colors made me sure.

The cheesiness was ok with me, because it probably made it appeal more to non-horse people. Overall I really liked it, and it had more content than most stories on horses!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I watched it, was surprised to see some bay horses in the "stallion herd" are they Lippizans or another breed?
    One of a Kind Studio
    Equestrian Art and Portraits
    Landscape Design
    Farm Layout and Design

I liked the fact that the producers gave credit to the Moors and Spanish. After all it is the "Spanish" Riding School.

No comments on the tight side reins? I wonder if an American trainer who held a horse's head like that would get a free ride as far a COTH posters? Another reason they breed for cooperation, I imagine. I'm not saying it's wrong because, of course I wouldn't second guess the SRS but I do enjoy watching a horse with more freedom of head carriage. I enjoyed watching the young mare work on the longe the most and the babies were super.

Comments?
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

My non horse friend said " why are there heads held so tightly".
    Yes cheesy but I did like they showed the old retired horse. Nice to see they take care of them and what an old well cared for Lippizaner looks like (not so pretty).
    My Arab is up there in age and getting the balding look with pink eyes and "molting" lips look.

Quote Originally Posted by netg View Post
    I minded them pretending the foal being born and the foal being led were the same - and if I had any doubt, the fact that the mares were different colors made me sure.

The cheesiness was ok with me, because it probably made it appeal more to non-horse people. Overall I really liked it, and it had more content than most stories on horses!
    I noticed the foal change too! Guess they thought the average viewer wouldn't notice, but they didn't consider us sharp eyed horse owners!

I did think it was a bit of an overstatement that the techniques of the SRS have never been written down, especially since Mr. Podhajsky himself has written a book and it's cited right there on their Wikipedia page.

I am also fascinated by the optical illusion when the riding hall is photographed - it is actually quite small when you see it in person, but always looks a lot larger in pics.

All that aside, I did enjoy watching the show. Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by oldernewbie View Post

I did think it was a bit of an overstatement that the techniques of the SRS have never been written down, especially since Mr. Podhajsky himself has written a book and it's cited right there on their Wikipedia page.
    I was wondering if anyone else caught that. Actually, Podhajsky wrote several books, including an autobiography.

Regarding the bay horse, yes, that is a Lipizzan. They are rare but not unheard of. Years ago I was told that it was always a sign of good luck when a bay was born as it indicated peace for the next few years.

Overall, I liked the film. My favorite scene was the young horses cavorting on the alpine slopes. The scenery was simply spectacular.
    Charter member of the I-Refuse-to-Relinquish-My-Whip Clique

Quote Originally Posted by La Gringa View Post
    I watched it, was surprised to see some bay horses in the "stallion herd" are they Lippizans or another breed?
    No they are Lippizans - they said a small percentage don't turn white, but that for good luck there is always one dark stallion riding at the Spanish Riding School.

I also wondered about the mares/stallions that were not of breeding or show quality - where do they go?

I didn't notice the foal change at the end; hmm, I wasn't really paying attention I guess!

Most of all I thought of how awesome all of our horses would be if we had 3-4 people to get them groomed, started, and ridden throughout their lives! Where does the money come from? They didn't mention that part. I can't imagine that the money from performances is enough to cover that level of grandeur.

There were a couple of things that were not discussed at all, not surprisingly. When we visited in 2011 there was quite the uproar going on with the new director and I haven't followed since then to know how things have worked out. One of the points of contention was that the new director was pushing for more performances and more paid gigs for the riders/horses. The riders were not taking to that so well, especially since it sounded like shortcuts were being proposed.

The second very sad issue while we were there is that one of the riders had committed suicide, which seemed to be related to the above problems.

The SRS is a big part of Vienna's tourist draw but as someone mentioned above, it is very expensive to run. More changes are in the works I'm sure.

I was wondering if anyone else caught that. Actually, Podhajsky wrote several books, including an autobiography.
    yep. but i was thinking xenophon, actually.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

If you missed it you can watch the full episode here:
    http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episo...-episode/8305/
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    I also wondered about the mares/stallions that were not of breeding or show quality - where do they go?
    The Piber stud sells them - you can view the available mares/geldings/stallions on their website that are for sale. Their prices are reasonable (although it's the addition of transport from Europe to Canada that kills this for me). I wish I could have one

I really enjoyed the show although I would agree some of the narration was pretty cheesy... What I LOVED was the profile of the horsekeeping at Piber. I knew a little something about their methods but it was lovely to see a little bit of the facility and the interactions between the foals, mares, and youngsters.