The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Draft X / Quarter horse / not typical breeds... GREAT JUMPERS...Experiences?

I was just wondering if anybody would like to share their story of a draft x/ quarter horse / not a typical jumping breed and how they were AMAZING jumpers (grand prix) if you guys had any.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkK29D6NHQQ

Pinto Cross, jumping about 6 ft+, love this girl and her horse. I see a lot of other horses on YouTube that aren't usual breeds (Clydesdale X and quarter horses). I don't exactly have a story, my quarter pony jumps 3ft+ no problem but we aren't anywhere near grand Prix level :P

1 members found this post helpful.

My very first guy was a quarter horse x Percheron. He did solid second level dressage and was very comfortable jumping up to 1.30m he continued to show and win into his early 20's and at 31 is still sound although retired a few years ago. I have another qh in the barn who when his kid gets up to snuff will do the jr am jumpers. Still farm from grand prix for both horses but pretty decent from two unlikely guys.

Not grand prix level, but I have a friend who has a Mini/Welsh cross small pony that supposedly "couldn't jump." She's jumped her up to at least 3'6", foxhunted first flight, and shown on the A circuit.

A schoolie at my barn is a draft cross -- looks like a shrunken Clyde -- and has reportedly schooled about 3'6. I've done 3' courses on her and it's certainly no challenge. She's probably only about 16hh max.

Before my best friend passed away, she had a Hanoverian/Perch cross that schooled through GP and competed I-1 with quite a bit of success. You would never know that there was an ounce of draft in her by her look or movement, but she was the most level headed mare I'd ever met.

Another friend has a Hano/Suffolk Punch cross that she events. The mare jumps BEAUTIFULLY and is still going Training in her mid-20s.
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

I had a QH named Town's Gypsy Bar (Smooth Town x Gypsy's Surprise) when I was a teenager who took me through the high Jr/AOs and into the big GPs. He was a long-backed, barely 16h, pissy, and wickedly smart guy from halter horse bloodlines. I ditched the QH name first thing, but looking back I wish I'd shown him under his registered name rather than being embarrassed that he was a QH. He was hands down one of the best horses I've ever known. I used to say that he wanted to win more than I did, and boy could he turn it on!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Phototoxicity View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkK29D6NHQQ

Pinto Cross, jumping about 6 ft+, love this girl and her horse. I see a lot of other horses on YouTube that aren't usual breeds (Clydesdale X and quarter horses). I don't exactly have a story, my quarter pony jumps 3ft+ no problem but we aren't anywhere near grand Prix level :P
    Just wonderful. You can see that this is a once-in-a-lifetime pair.
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    I had a QH named Town's Gypsy Bar (Smooth Town x Gypsy's Surprise) when I was a teenager who took me through the high Jr/AOs and into the big GPs. He was a long-backed, barely 16h, pissy, and wickedly smart guy from halter horse bloodlines. I ditched the QH name first thing, but looking back I wish I'd shown him under his registered name rather than being embarrassed that he was a QH. He was hands down one of the best horses I've ever known. I used to say that he wanted to win more than I did, and boy could he turn it on!
    Tell me about the gray in your photographs! Looks JUST like a horse I used to own! Is it a QH?

CJ's Kemosabi is a little coloured cob (what you would call a gypsy vanner) who's been one of the top jumping ponies in the UK for many years:

http://www.poneydesport.com/champeur...csofinale2.php

(scroll down a bit, there are a few photos - you can't miss him)

When I was 14 I got to show a 18 year old, barely 15.1 Appendix mare 1.2m jumpers. To this day that is the highest I have ever shown and the nicest, most push button horse I ever got to ride.

ETA: Which got me thinking that the highest I ever got to jump in a lesson was 4'6 on a 15.3 grey "mutt" gelding that looked an awful lot like a QH.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Although the ISH is a jumper (think Flexible) the Irish Draught is often overlooked. it is a jumping breed (bred for foxhunting) but not often thought of in the jumper ring. I have a weanling by GP jumper Cradilo. Some are also eventing at higher levels
    Cradilo http://s7.photobucket.com/user/horse...67218761656846
    http://s7.photobucket.com/user/horse...67218761656846
    Flagmount King http://s7.photobucket.com/user/horse...67218761656846
    Bridon Beale Street http://s7.photobucket.com/user/horse...tml?sort=6&o=0
    http://s7.photobucket.com/user/horse...91723908310251
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

I have a Tennessee Walking Horse, Thoroughbred cross. He is not gaited and he looks and moves like a very pricey warmblood but he has the TB attitude. He is athletic as the day is long (could have easily been a GP horse had his mother gotten her act together, but that's another thread ). I had someone offer to buy him because she wanted to use him for PSG dressage. He won the first two hunter divisions at an A show that he ever showed in with me (I'm an ammy FWIW) and he excels in the Jumpers when I get my jumper hat on straight .

Definitely NOT your typical cross and everyone is FLOORED when I tell them what he actually is.
    "Be the change you want to see in the world."
    ~Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by besttwtbever View Post
    I have a Tennessee Walking Horse, Thoroughbred cross. He is not gaited and he looks and moves like a very pricey warmblood but he has the TB attitude. He is athletic as the day is long (could have easily been a GP horse had his mother gotten her act together, but that's another thread ). I had someone offer to buy him because she wanted to use him for PSG dressage. He won the first two hunter divisions at an A show that he ever showed in with me (I'm an ammy FWIW) and he excels in the Jumpers when I get my jumper hat on straight .

Definitely NOT your typical cross and everyone is FLOORED when I tell them what he actually is.
    I think you win! . Any pictures?
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

The horse is not mine, but yesterday at a local jumper show I saw a 19 hand draft doing the Low 2'9 Jumpers!!! It was amazing to watch and he REALLY made those fences look small! I'll say my poor horse, who is 17 hands, was completely fascinated by him and watched all his rounds! It was really cool to watch him go though!!!
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 27, TB

Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    I think you win! . Any pictures?
    Well, I will see if I can get some pics up. I don't really want to post any of me riding him but I have a few conformation shots. I seem to be unable to post pics on here though.

Here is his pedigree, not that it matters... because clearly it doesn't.
    Last edited by besttwtbever; Apr. 29, 2013 at 02:18 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar failure
    ~Mahatma Gandhi

We had a Draft X QH that evented up through Preliminarily. Was used as a roper in his first career. This horse was a saint and took all the kids in the barn up through the levels.

Quote Originally Posted by besttwtbever View Post
    Well, I will see if I can get some pics up. I don't really want to post any of me riding him but I have a few conformation shots. I seem to be unable to post pics on here though.
    You can't post pictures unless you're a premium member, but you can post links to photo-sharing sites like photobucket.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    You can't post pictures unless you're a premium member, but you can post links to photo-sharing sites like photobucket.
    I know I can't unless I'm a premium member. Unfortunately I still seem to have trouble with getting the right link and making sure the picture has the right viewing settings. One would think I could figure this out but I don't seem to be able to. I will try though!
    ~Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by JumpQH View Post
    Tell me about the gray in your photographs! Looks JUST like a horse I used to own! Is it a QH?
    I'm assuming you mean the dark grey mare? She was an unraced young TB I picked up from a horse broker in Idaho. I got her as a coming 4yo and put her down a year later when she broke her leg in a pasture accident.