The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tall boots rubs ankles sore - & other questions

So my current tall boots have been rubbing my ankles completely raw on the outside (which doesn't help considering one ankle was broken and the other had horribly torn ligaments). I can thankfully resolve the issue with thick socks that go over my ankles but can't do a lot of walking in them.

I am finally able to convince myself to buy new boots. But, before I go about doing so, what should I look out for in other boots to avoid the same ankle rubbing issue? At the time I bought my boots, I had to buy 1 size too big because no other boot in my price range would fit my small feet (size 5) short height (5') and calf size (regular - which has thankfully shrunk now that I am actually workout again), so I am sure that didn't help.

I did read that a "loose" boot can cause. What is it that considers a boot to be too loose?

Also, I read that field boots should come up to the middle of your knee caps. Is that before or after the boot has been broken into?

Has anyone had a tall boot that they just could not zip to the top when they got them but after the leather stretched out they were able to do so?

I have a similar issue with my "spare" pair of field boots. They rub my left foot horribly! For the past week, I've just placed a piece of duct tape directly on my foot - where the boot rubs. It works like a charm! Thicker socks actually made the rub worse, so now it's duct tape and thin boot socks. It resolved the issue 100%!
    Cindy

Spray some rubbing alcohol on the inside and outside of the ankle area to help stretch it out as well as the top of the boot. You could also wet them down really good and wear them until they dry.

To save your ankles in the mean time do wear thin boot socks but buy the Dr Scholls blister protection band aids they are nice and sturdy and protect extremely well! Last summer I had a new pair of boots eat the front of my ankle at a show (last minute purchase) and next time I wore them I used the Dr Scholls bandaids and not a mark!

I am trying those equifit shin guards. I suddenly started getting rubs something fierce after NEVER having that ever happen before.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    I am trying those equifit shin guards. I suddenly started getting rubs something fierce after NEVER having that ever happen before.
    Are these them? http://www.smartpakequine.com/equifi...nds-8100p.aspx Are they working for you? Might be just what I need as I switched back to my "summer" boots and they rubbed the fronts of my ankle today and drove me crazy. Had to switch to my winter insulated boots to ride my difficult horse so I could think of him and not the pain in my leg! Hot feet was better than hurting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdash1228 View Post

Also, I read that field boots should come up to the middle of your knee caps. Is that before or after the boot has been broken into?
    I've never owned boots w/zippers so can't help you there. But it is nonsense to say that boots whether broken in or not should come to the middle of your kneecaps. How would anyone propose to bend knees and ride a horse with boots like that? Egads. If that's the 'fashion statement these days it sure wasn't started by horsemen.

On boot fit issues- a good soaking with rubbing alcohol and wearing til dry will help some. Also when trying new boots, whether off the shelf or custom, make sure you are wearing the socks you'd normally be wearing for riding, whether thin for showing in Florida or three layers for foxhunting in Minnesota. On that score you need to consider not just foot but leg, would you be wearing longjohns or just thin breeches?

A boot is too loose in the foot if your heel flops upward when you are walking.

I love the gel ankle wraps I got from Dover and I think Smartpak has them as well. MY new tight ankle boots rubbed me very badly and bandaids didn't help but the gel wraps were wonderful!

Used them only once so far, will report back with more use!
    ~Veronica

Sounds like you are short like I am and that makes those boots too tall on the ankle, they fold too high up to fit right.

Have you tried insoles that will raise your heel, so it fits better?
    That has worked in some such boots for me.
    It doesn't take much, a thin heel insole at times is all we need to put our ankles past that stiff edge of the boot heel cap.

Heel inserts and Equifit Gel Bands. I had a problem with my new dress boots- too tall, stiff ankle + the fact that they weren't broken in yet. I use these when I ride, and now they feel like they were made for me!
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~

Quote Originally Posted by dreamingofdressage View Post
    Heel inserts and Equifit Gel Bands.
    I'm using both to break in my new dressage boots. They're the second set of boots I've used the gel bands. My other set of dressage boots (now my schooling pair) rubbed my right ankle bad, and I didn't wear them again until I got the gel bands. I've been using that set of gel bands for about 9 months (3-4 times a week) and even though they're showing some use, they're still up to the job. I have a new pair of gel bands for my new boots. And I still wear the gel bands with my schooling boots. Would rather have a bit more protection/comfort than be worrying about my boots rubbing!

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley View Post
    I've never owned boots w/zippers so can't help you there. But it is nonsense to say that boots whether broken in or not should come to the middle of your kneecaps. How would anyone propose to bend knees and ride a horse with boots like that? Egads. If that's the 'fashion statement these days it sure wasn't started by horsemen.
    That is actually was I read from Dover's page on how to fit a boot!

Thanks everyone!!! I am sure since I wear a size 5 and my current boots are a size 6, that does not help with the boot rubbing my ankle raw. Hopefully I can get these new boots to stretch out so I at least have correct fitting schooling boots. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Kdash1228 View Post
    That is actually was I read from Dover's page on how to fit a boot!
    Then I will never trust Dover's on any guidance as to boot fitting.

So far I am having a lot of success with the equifit gel bands
    ~Veronica