The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question What to expect at Devon?

So my pony and I qualified for Devon in the pony jumper division! I am so thrilled and beyond excited

This is my last year as a junior and also my first time in the pjs and high children's jumpers, so obviously I need to make this count.

What exactly should I expect at Devon? My pony is 7, self trained, and started showing jumpers in 2012, so you could say we are green(;

Any past experiences that anyone has would be awesome 

I am going too, for the equitation! I've been to watch before, it is one of my favorite shows.
    The oxers there are quite wide for pony jumpers, and get higher each round (1.0m Saturday, Sunday classes are 1.05 and 1.10m). You will need whites for the classic on Sunday. There are usually quite a few spectators right along the rail as well as pretty spooky jumps, so you and your pony will have plenty to look at.
    As for things to do - get a lemon stick, fudge, fried oreos, and eat at least once at the Garden Cafe. Ride the ferris wheel and at least take a quick run through the carnival games, they give cute prizes. I still have a hat I won four years ago there.

1 members found this post helpful.

Im sure you nean riding... but expect great food ( think Devon fudge and tea sandwiches....mmmm)and an experience you'll cherish forever. Try to have a friend snap pictures, I've never had a shot worth buying ( but I have). Oh- baby carriages- some families will saunter around pushing Precious right behind your horse ( it's the Main Line).

Ride like what got you qualified ( then step it up). Big jumps and grandstands.

I've never had a Devon that was not awesome, regardless of my ribbons.

Good luck!! We'll see you by the grooms kitchen in 30 days!
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

2 members found this post helpful.

There are lots of fun shops full of cute things. The loading/unloading can be a little crazy, depending on the schedule and when you arrive. Ditto on the parking during the show. Be prepared for weather of all kinds.

Good luck and have fun!

Congrats!!! How fun.... I have never been so I cannot comment on that but what I can say is have fun. Enjoy the moment.

I would love to have the opportunity to go to Devon - When my new horse came in last year my trainer made a comment that this horse could go someday - - another trainer turned to me and said "start saving your money"... LOL

Again, congrats!!!
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

I will send money to anyone who sends me a container of fudge!

4 members found this post helpful.

Lucky! Have so much fun, and make sure you get a lemon stick. Devon isn't Devon with out a lemon stick. Expect to gain 5 pounds, and also expect really spooky jumps. If you have a chance to at home, I suggest you set up as many outside spooky things as possible. Like have people move around and talk outside of the ring while you ride, and have people opening and closing umbrellas, baby strollers, and waving bags.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    I will send money to anyone who sends me a container of fudge!
    BIG SAME.
    Devon fudge is heavenly.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Thanks guys! We have been working on spooky jumps, ie tarp over the poles lol. Would you recommend I put ear plugs on her?

Quote Originally Posted by myponyismywings View Post
    Thanks guys! We have been working on spooky jumps, ie tarp over the poles lol. Would you recommend I put ear plugs on her?
    probably a good idea at spooky new venues Our horse nearly had a coronary at the Big E

Quote Originally Posted by sarcam02 View Post
    probably a good idea at spooky new venues Our horse nearly had a coronary at the Big E
    Oh lord hahahah my pony spooks at fireflies in the summer so this should be interesting. I'm smearing lavender all over her shadow roll with hopes that the smell simmers her down!

Quote Originally Posted by myponyismywings View Post
    Oh lord hahahah my pony spooks at fireflies in the summer so this should be interesting. I'm smearing lavender all over her shadow roll with hopes that the smell simmers her down!
    I might be wrong, but isn't lavender a testable substance?

Quote Originally Posted by EAY View Post
    No it's completely legal. I searched fei and USEF rules and it's not in there. Plus I'm only having her smell it to take the edge off. But knowing her it won't do a thing xD

If the pony is not used to ear plugs, it's a good idea to practice with them a few times before the show. Some horses don't care about them, but a few need time to adjust.

my favorite horse show memories as a junior were at Devon. Just go have fun. Enjoy every minute because those are the times you will remember.

Drink every fresh pressed lemonade and eat every funnel cake you can shove down your gullet.

You can make reasonable dietary choices the rest of the year.

4 members found this post helpful.

I will be there for three days and will be happy to take orders for fudge.
    friend of bar*ka

Quote Originally Posted by EAY View Post
    I thought it was too.

If I recall...a while back the OP asked how to make a pony smaller by shaving its withers/hooves/whatever. The hony in question was 5 at the time, and over the legal height. Or not. I can't remember that much. Do recall that the thread got shut down by the Moderator. So, let us all ride our honys out on a hack to smell the daisies, or lavender. And have a little Devon fudge too. That'll keep the hony quiet, and juice up the pony rider with Devon sugary fudge.

Quote Originally Posted by Calling Duck View Post
    If I recall...a while back the OP asked how to make a pony smaller by shaving its withers/hooves/whatever. The hony in question was 5 at the time, and over the legal height. Or not. I can't remember that much. Do recall that the thread got shut down by the Moderator. So, let us all ride our honys out on a hack to smell the daisies, or lavender. And have a little Devon fudge too. That'll keep the hony quiet, and juice up the pony rider with Devon sugary fudge.
    Well if you insist on brining up something from 2011 then by all means do.

If you recall, way back when, I never said she was over. I said I thought she was.
    She is 14.1 and 3/8, and is now seven years old with a perm. Pony card. You are welcome to search my USEF record if you don't believe me(: her USEF number is 5221977.

Now that I've cleared THAT up, is like to say thank you to those who responded to my original question! I deffinatly plan on eating a lot