The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What do the sweat/dirt marks on this saddle pad tell you about saddle fit?-UPDATE

I've been having a super tough time finding a saddle that fits my guy. We've gone through at least 8, and he's not afraid to let me know when one does not fit! The one I'm trying right now seems to be the best so far, he's happiest in it and moves well. I used a white saddle pad to see how the sweat marks show up after a ride, and I'm not sure if I should be worried or not. If you could take a look at the picture and tell me what you think about the marks and in turn fit of the saddle that would be much appreciated!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9102441...in/photostream
    Last edited by horsenic; May. 2, 2013 at 12:26 AM.

This horse likely has a-frame withers that have dips on each side. They can be difficult to fit. It also looks like he requires different aids on each side based on the dirt under the lower flaps.

If the horse likes the saddle and is not sore, I would not over think the sweat marks. As a side note, I have an A-Frame/dipped withers horse does really well in a supracore pad.

my boy's saddle pads always look like that after having two saddles professionally fitted to him. He loves the saddles, shows no sign of pain, moves fantastically in them, and all in all is going great. He has no withers to speak of, just a warmblood shoulder but is narrow so both his saddles have a bit of a wither gusset so that it doesn't slide down his shoulder and pinch.

If I remember correctly, as long as the dry spots are even and are basically the same shape as the tree points then it doesn't matter. It is when the spots are small or uneven that there is an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by horsenic View Post
    If you could take a look at the picture and tell me what you think about the marks and in turn fit of the saddle that would be much appreciated!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9102441...in/photostream
    It tells me that he needs a bath
    seriously, you want to look at sweat not dirt.

If horse seems happy & you like the look of the fit (check for bridging & pressure areas, try to look at the tree angles vs horse, tree points) & it's CHEAP, give it a go ...
    If it's wool flocked it should get you a bit further along than foam (assuming you can open up the saddle as horse develops); if foam, only buy a saddle that you're fitting with additional padding (that you can remove as he develops).
    Also check if tree is adjustable by someone local.

If you can get a fitter out for a reasonable fee (or a nice saddle rep), fitter/rep should be able to discuss fit for your horse in general & specific to a particular saddle, so may be well worth the fees.

Pretty much "ditto alto". It's tough to tell much about fit based on dirt - sweat is much better. Looks like there's a lack of contact in the front, but as to what's causing it, it's not possible to tell w/o seeing the horse and saddle in question.

Hmm well my guy lives outside and there's really no wash facilities and its cold, so a bath's kind of out! I could try giving him a spot bath where the saddle goes. Maybe also take a couple pictures with the saddle on him? Thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by horsenic View Post
    Hmm well my guy lives outside and there's really no wash facilities and its cold, so a bath's kind of out! I could try giving him a spot bath where the saddle goes. Maybe also take a couple pictures with the saddle on him? Thanks for the input!
    Use the dry shampoos - review article - some people will just use the human branded products but if you have a horse/pony with sensitive skin this is NOT recommended

Photos will help, just check one of the saddle fit pages for a list of photo views - if you wade through the Schleese saddle fit series they are worth your while

Default Hey I caught this on a search about the same thing sorta kinda and found this

http://thecorrector.net/id27.html
    Might be helpful and is at the least interesting!