The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I agree some of the comments just as the horse was a few strides from fence 1 were very distracting.

I thought it was only ME!!

Agree with all the above posts, urg. His irritating (and seemingly unprofessional) commentary really disrupted the flow of the stadium--this guy has *no* "announcer savvy"; a rare and nuanced skill, shared by Brian and Nigel.
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

I was only able to watch the clips posted to the USEF channel afterwards but was appalled at some of the inappropriate and distracting comments made just as the riders were entering the ring and (as mentioned above) on the way to the first fence - obviously tuning out the electric atmosphere is a necessary characteristic of an ULR, but I did not think it was in the best taste or very supportive of the riders.

Let's start a petition! Or at least write letters to Rolex. Our group was appalled at the announcer's comments. What a rude person. It definitely took away from the joy of the weekend.

I don't understand why Rolex has to have a British accent. Rolex is in KY. We are Americans. Get an American announcer. Use the woman who talks each year - she has a lovely voice. Use Brian Ross. Do NOT use Tucker.
    Let others know how XC went --
    Post your review on www.crosscountryreview.com!

2 members found this post helpful.

Default You're a little late to the party RB

Many, many letters, emails and phone calls were made. The ptb at Equestrian Events decided to use the person they chose and a sub par (and I was in the Patron tent) sound system that had problems all day.

The KHP also decided who they'd be able to use for catering (not even close to what we had prior) and they decided to have the same yucky WEG type tents with burgers and fries and there were far less yummy food vendors.

Vendors were down period and there were some really weird ones (anybody see curling iron guy?) he combed everyone's hair out with the same comb time after time, eeewww.

My DH did buy me a set of nice knives, I bought Dubarry's, but I went home with a lot more money in my pocket than I usually do.

I go more for the horses anyway.

1 members found this post helpful.

I thought the food area was not as good this time too.
    I wondered if the patron's tent could hear, don't see how they could because they were only 100 feet from me. At least I only paid $20 to be annoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post
    So much for all of the naysayers on the "Nigel" thread, who said that Brian O'Conner would find someone just as good as Nigel. NOT!
    Brian wasn't/isn't in charge of who is hired as announcer. I imagine he would like the job himself. I wish the EEI (the organizers) would hire him. He is so much more knowledgable about the riders--seeing he actually LIVES here and he sees many of them compete during the year. Brian is so much more positive. We should have and American voice for our American event.

At one point on XC I was thinking the ground jury might need to penalize Kendell Lahari for unauthorized assistant as Tucker keep telling her how she needed to be riding to improve what was a very frantic and unattractive ride.

OMG that retirement ceremony was for SNIP!>????? My favorite all-time little 15.3 hand 20-year-old TB? dammit! We were in the bleachers too and could. NOT. HEAR. a damn thing. I was so pissed and now I'm even more pissed! Luckily, after intervention from someone noted above^^^ the sound did get a little louder over there. Thank you Shea's mom!

I was particularly annoyed by both announcers repeatedly calling Sal Dali Sally Dally.

Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post
    Brian wasn't/isn't in charge of who is hired as announcer. I imagine he would like the job himself. I wish the EEI (the organizers) would hire him. He is so much more knowledgable about the riders--seeing he actually LIVES here and he sees many of them compete during the year. Brian is so much more positive.
    Agree. Having worked with Brian, he is fantastic, organized, he does his homework, is positive and encouraging with a touch of wry humour, and somehow keeps up with 57 messages coming off the radios at once and never misses a beat. I actually thought he would be announcing at Rolex, guess I read that press release wrong!

It isn't true that Brian didn't hire the announcer...in fact he did. He put in the bid for the sound system/announcer package and he chose Mike Tucker to be the front man voice.
    I thought the sound system was appalling. There were huge areas of cross country with no sound at all, and there were places where the speakers went in and out all day and still other places where the speakers were static-y. also, you couldn't hear anything in parts of the sponsors/vending area and there was no sound system in the lower vending area, nor in the stabling area, I understand. That has never been the case before.
    Mike certainly can be a good announcer, but to me he is no Nigel, and frankly I don't care much for Giles, and definitely not for Charlotte.
    I didn't think Brian did a very good job setting up the whole sound system, for which he had full responsibility and I actually didn't care for his "announcing" in the show jump ring "walking" the course. It felt like a mud wrestling match atmosphere to me....but that's just my opinion.
    One thing you can give and still keep is your word.

Quote Originally Posted by KateDB View Post
    It isn't true that Brian didn't hire the announcer...in fact he did. He put in the bid for the sound system/announcer package and he chose Mike Tucker to be the front man voice.
    I thought the sound system was appalling. There were huge areas of cross country with no sound at all, and there were places where the speakers went in and out all day and still other places where the speakers were static-y. also, you couldn't hear anything in parts of the sponsors/vending area and there was no sound system in the lower vending area, nor in the stabling area, I understand. That has never been the case before.
    Mike certainly can be a good announcer, but to me he is no Nigel, and frankly I don't care much for Giles, and definitely not for Charlotte.
    I didn't think Brian did a very good job setting up the whole sound system, for which he had full responsibility and I actually didn't care for his "announcing" in the show jump ring "walking" the course. It felt like a mud wrestling match atmosphere to me....but that's just my opinion.
    I'm surprised that all of those technical details fell thru, it's not like it's the first time for Rolex or anything. Too bad, but I do hope that things change for next year. Sally Dally? Really? I've heard horses names mispronounced at shows, but this is Rolex and Sal Dali is not exactly Loughnatousa claddagh.

Quote Originally Posted by KateDB View Post
    That is not what Brian told me.

Kate DB, you are completely incorrect, I can assure you.

Quote Originally Posted by FlightCheck View Post
    Kate DB, you are completely incorrect, I can assure you.
    Well I vote for Flightcheck, USA, and very well versed with what is going on here, and a great announcer too!!!! GO CINDY!!! can we vote for that? if so let's!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Groom&Taxi View Post
    Agreed that whoever was announcing for Stadium today said some things that were less tactfully stated than they could have been.
    The snarky S/J comments and having sponser music over riding Brian O'Conner plus the ear splitting buzz on Thursday was appalling.

Default rolex sound/annoucing

My friends and critics: First of all I did not pick the announcers for Rolex....that was done by the organizers and EEI. I was hired to do the sound only, and yes there were issues, which we tried to resolve each day...and I have made notes for the future. Overall I think we (my staff and I) did a pretty good job. Some areas (on XC) that do not get spectator traffic(where there are no jumps) did not have sound...agreed. We were using a brand new type of broadcast system and we were adjusting each day. The main Rolex arena does have "dead spots" especially down on the lower levels...all the speakers are mounted up high - and I have no control of those. I worked all the time to try to get it balanced....sorry if it was not perfect. I assure all of you that I was doing my best. As for the announcing voices and style...that was out of my control.....I do hope to get the announcing in the future. Thank you for your support, and comments....I can only do a better job with feedback from the fans.....Brian

9 members found this post helpful.

Brian you are a terrific announcer and I for one hope you get your chance to announce at Rolex
    Beth Davidson
    Black Dog Farm Connemaras & Sport Horses
    http://blackdogconnemara.com
    visit my blog: http://ponyeventer.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    The snarky S/J comments and having sponser music over riding Brian O'Conner plus the ear splitting buzz on Thursday was appalling.
    Even my not so "horsey" SO was taken aback by the rude comments. Terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by speakeasyltd07@gmail.com View Post
    My friends and critics: First of all I did not pick the announcers for Rolex....that was done by the organizers and EEI. I was hired to do the sound only, and yes there were issues, which we tried to resolve each day...and I have made notes for the future. Overall I think we (my staff and I) did a pretty good job. Some areas (on XC) that do not get spectator traffic(where there are no jumps) did not have sound...agreed. We were using a brand new type of broadcast system and we were adjusting each day. The main Rolex arena does have "dead spots" especially down on the lower levels...all the speakers are mounted up high - and I have no control of those. I worked all the time to try to get it balanced....sorry if it was not perfect. I assure all of you that I was doing my best. As for the announcing voices and style...that was out of my control.....I do hope to get the announcing in the future. Thank you for your support, and comments....I can only do a better job with feedback from the fans.....Brian
    We walked all over CC and rarely had a problem hearing. The music over your stadium course walk was maddening though! Really, how difficult could it be to turn that off!?

Thanks Brian for taking the time to comment here. I'd love for you to get the job
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Another vote for Flightcheck and Brian to do next year I think that would be fantastic!

Should we begin an email campaign, or do we think it will matter?
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap