The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Announcing at Rolex? Nigel?

Okay maybe this has been discussed but I have been offline all weekend. Was that Nigel I heard sharing announcing with the new guy on XC and then a little bit today as well? I know the new guy (sorry can't recall his name right now) had big shoes to fill but really there was no comparison in my opinion. Nigel just does the best job. Hope they bring him back full time next year. Sorry just looked it up, new announcer is Michael Tucker, correct?

Default Wasn't Nigel

And while I missed him, the fact that I had to listen for a couple of minutes yesterday to determine it wasn't him, means the guy did a good job.

I will say however, the sound system overall left a bit to be desired.

What I am saying is it sounded like two different British announcers on XC, one being Nigel and the other the new guy. Today same thing. Was the other guy Nigel or not? Sure sounded like Nigel. I thought the new guy was not nearly as good as Nigel and downright negative today and not in a funny entertaining way like Nigel.

Agreed that whoever was announcing for Stadium today said some things that were less tactfully stated than they could have been.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by bizbachfan View Post
    What I am saying is it sounded like two different British announcers on XC, one being Nigel and the other the new guy. Today same thing. Was the other guy Nigel or not? Sure sounded like Nigel. I thought the new guy was not nearly as good as Nigel and downright negative today and not in a funny entertaining way like Nigel.
    Agreed, it's tough enough to drop rails, the added commentary about how far down you dropped in what seemed to me a rather snarky tone was insult to injury.

3 members found this post helpful.

So it wasn't just me that didn't care for Nigel's replacement! There were quite a few negative comments made this weekend. What stood out most for me and my friends (as we sat there looking at each other like "did he really just say that?") was on Friday when Buck was in the ring. Tucker was listing all of Bruce's sr accomplishments then he said "and Buck is not following in his father's footsteps." Seriously?! Who says that?!

I say we start a petition to bring Nigel back!

9 members found this post helpful.

Okay so am I the only one who heard a second British voice quite a bit yesterday and some today? I could have sworn it was Nigel.

Agreed! It's the rider who should have the stage, not some blabby announcer. Hope he is replaced asap. I felt awful for so many riders - what snarky things to say! It wasn't just one rider - how many can you insult?

1 members found this post helpful.

I knew right off on the Cross Country it was not Nigel.
    There will never be another Nigel. His voice was the signature of Rolex Cross Country!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

4 members found this post helpful.

To be fair, Nigel always went on and on about "costly rails" to the point of describing just how much money each rail was worth. I never really cared for that. He was great on XC though! He was announcing at Southern Pines this spring and it was great to see him in action since I know he won't be doing Rolex anymore.

2 members found this post helpful.

Thumbs down

Agree, the announcer was terrible. Mispronouncing several riders names (Jan Byyny???), errors on country origin, and just useless and annoying babble.

2 members found this post helpful.

we sat on the bleachers today for sj and couldn't hear a damn thing. we missed the entire retirement ceremony for who ever that was. Then Brian O'Connor did some talk to rave applause, which we also didn't hear. i went and talked to some guy who radioed the booth and then things got better. if we can't have nigel, let's just have Brian, who is an American, at an American event. I bet Buck could shoot that guy. There were two British voices, neither nigel.

3 members found this post helpful.

There were 2 British announcers.

Also what bothered me this year was them going on and on about 1st time Rolex riders that had, clearly, been there before. Katie Ruppel, for example.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Heels_Down View Post
    There were 2 British announcers.

Also what bothered me this year was them going on and on about 1st time Rolex riders that had, clearly, been there before. Katie Ruppel, for example.
    Okay thanks, so two but neither Nigel, makes sense, couldn't imagine he would be there "sharing" the announcing. Yeah I didn't get that they kept saying Ruppel had not been there. Lots of really simple mistakes as well.

By the way the retirement ceremony was for Snip

Giles Rowsell and I think the other one was Mike Tucker (the one who did the most talking during SJ) Not a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by bizbachfan View Post
    Okay so am I the only one who heard a second British voice quite a bit yesterday and some today? I could have sworn it was Nigel.
    I thought the same thing!! I could have sworn it was Nigel and another British announcer on Saturday. I didn't go Sunday. So it wasn't just you.

Quote Originally Posted by pegasusmom View Post
    Giles Rowsell and I think the other one was Mike Tucker (the one who did the most talking during SJ) Not a fan.

Mike bleats on and often makes many mistakes along the way. Can't stand him. He can also be very callous.

Yep. What Snoopy said.
    Not a fan and especially at Rolex with a huge worldwide, national television audience. He made many mistakes. I think that demoralizes people who are riding and watching. I found myself sort of ignoring the guy. I could do better comments than him.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

So much for all of the naysayers on the "Nigel" thread, who said that Brian O'Conner would find someone just as good as Nigel. NOT!

Since I was sick on cross country day and sj day, I listened on USEF TV. I did not care for either announcer. I did hear one of them (I guess that it was Mike Tucker) call the other announcer, "Giles".

Giles kept going on and on about how Bruce Sr. has won Rolex six times, but Buck has never won it.

I agree that Nigel always commented that a rider, who pulled rails was, "Out of the money". However, I do not believe that he announced that kind of thing, just as the rider was two strides from the first obstacle. I saw several riders pull that first rail and wondered if Giles' comment helped to contribute to a lack of concentration.

Maybe the riders should wear earplugs and not the horses?
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!