The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Weird.

Perhaps a muscle relaxant would be advised? Or is the thought more that that long abdominal muscle detached at one end? Does it change at all?

Does she seem painful? Is she a stoic sort of horse, or more of a princess?

She isn't painful and has been feeling especially good lately, moving very well, riding well and running and playing around with the boys.

She isn't super sensitive, but when she doesn't feel well she lets me know. She doesn't mind deep palpation along the midline and just gives a normal reaction when you tickle her belly-lifter button.

Now the weird thing is that I think I can make out the lumps on some pictures of her from 2010. See this one and the next in the series.

http://s73.photobucket.com/user/hfou...l?t=1367183039

I looked at the originals and blew them up and I do think I see some lumps. So I'm starting to think they have been there for awhile and I just chose to notice them all of a sudden.

I don't see anything odd in her older pictures. Her belly looked perfectly cute and smooth at four months of age:

http://s73.photobucket.com/user/hfou...tml?sort=6&o=0

She is eight years old. I've had her since she was born, so it's not like she could have sneaked out and had a tummy tuck procedure while I wasn't looking!

Larkspur, bumps aside, she is just DARLING! What is she and what do you do with her?
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you. Shelby is the product of a feedlot mare of unknown breeding, purported to be a Thoroughbred and said to have been bred with a Paint stallion. I suspect there is some draft and/or pony in there because she and her mother both have curly tails and thick, cresty necks and like to get fat.

I haven't done much with Shelby other that trail ride and very basic dressage. She has a problem with her pharynx collapsing during exercise and it is made worse with poll flexion. Serious training is not an option because she is resistant to having her airway closed off and she is very stiff in the neck (still looking into that issue).

I would like to one day get her through a training level test, just for fun and just because she is so cute, but I will first have to get her to canter on the bit in a civilized manner.

Shelby also is a surrogate mother to my needy, psycho OTTB rescue gelding and to my now three-year-old warmblood gelding. He came home straight from weaning and she adopted him and allowed him to suckle her for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post

Shelby also is a surrogate mother to my needy, psycho OTTB rescue gelding and to my now three-year-old warmblood gelding. He came home straight from weaning and she adopted him and allowed him to suckle her for awhile.
    Do you mean Desi? I remember when you got him... how is he doing? sleeping better these days? I remember his feedlot picture too. Some horses seem to have an effect on some readers... and you don't forget them!!

Yes, that is Desi. Thank you for asking about him. He is doing okay, in spite of himself. He still has the sleep disorder but he does sometimes lie down at night when he is on the blue pop rocks, which he lives on for long stretches at at time.

Otherwise he lives a life of relative luxury, playing with his "little brother" and getting himself in trouble now and then by being a douche bag (living up to his original nickname given to him by FatPalomino).

I quit riding him long ago because he is just not fit for it mentally or physically. He continues to provide entertainment and is a sweetheart and a priceless babysitter to my youngster, so he somewhat earns his expensive keep.