The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ok Fake tail Guru's, how do I attach a fake tail to my Appy who doesn't have enough real tail hair to cover it?

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/...d449783dc0.jpg

FlekenAwesome, at least Fleck has some tail!

1 members found this post helpful.

There are directions and lots of other helpful hints on the showpen tails website.

Have you ever thought of doing a braided stick for shows?

2 members found this post helpful.

Some tails actually are being made that have the hide still on them, or a synthetic version of that. The fake goes onto the horse's tailbone instead of hanging underneath it, and the horse's real hair is braided into the fake in strategic places. These fakes are designed for horses that don't have much of a tail, such as appys and horses that lost part of their tail in some accident. It makes the addition look much more natural and prevents the annoying swinging a fake tail tied below the tailbone can sometimes get.

Here is an example - http://www.theshowpen.com/ProductDet...%20Hide%20Tail

Here is a synthetic hide tail - http://www.theshowpen.com/ProductDet...tCode=HandHide

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    but that is the beauty of pulled and banged - you can make mediocre tails look pretty good).
    Okay, I'm biting! My horse has a mediocre tail and I would love to pull and bang it to enhance it a bit. Anyone care to share tips/advice/links to do this successfully? I'm nervous that I will ruin an already C- tail! (Yep, have never banged or pulled a tail before!)

Amy

"I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."

Wow, did I stumble onto an AQHA thread by accident? I knew they were out there, but didn't know people used them so routinely. It's a little disappointing, frankly to hear "we scored better," although I'm not sure how one would attribute that to a silly tail, as there are so many variables. And if I ever dye my horse's hair, I think I would slap myself -- I bring my training and riding to the table; if I EVER thought that a tail colour variation would affect my performance, I think I would give up on this sport. o.o

To each their own, it's your horse and it's not illegal, but to one who said more people "should" dye their horse's hair, I can't disagree more. More people definitely should put time into better all-around work for their horse and better riding - playing Beauty School Dropout with tail hair...not so much.

15 members found this post helpful.

Just a bunch of girls and their Barbie dolls. I'm going to go hang with the boys on XC.

15 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RAyers View Post
    Just a bunch of girls and their Barbie dolls. I'm going to go hang with the boys on XC.
    Reed, have you considered dentures for your guy? I think it would improve your dressage scores. Or would it reduce his aerodynamics XC?

Amy

"I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."

Wow, Reed, can't say I know you at all except for on the board but that sounds uncharacteristically misogynist.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ellebeaux View Post
    Wow, Reed, can't say I know you at all except for on the board but that sounds uncharacteristically misogynist.
    One would hope that it was tongue-in-cheek, just like wildlifer's insinuation that anyone that uses a fake or has dyed a faded tail must be from the AQHA circuit, but then again I was once ridiculed and accused of playing "my little pony" for asking about braided tails in eventing. And nearly every time there is a fashion thread, there's at least one poster that shows up just to say that REAL eventers don't care about fashion.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    Fleck. You get one custom made.

I would absolutely use a fake tail.

And black tails should be dyed black. No red highlights allowed. : )
    I also use horse spray paint. Black on black legs and white on white legs.
    Chalk on scars and booboos. I also use the Ultra hoof paint. Feet get painted black---even the white feet. All black. Looks way sharp.
    And an over all shining spray.

this one: it's amazing.
    http://www.horsehealthusa.com/images...e/386-5040.jpg

I learned a lot hanging around the Andalusian breed shows. lol.
    I use people spray from Sally's then Pink Afro Sheen over it to get their tails nice and shiny.

Quote Originally Posted by kalidascope View Post
    How do you do forelocks without getting it everywhere? (E.g. on a white blaze.)
    Put it on then clip it up in hair clip. For the tail, put the dye on, put it in a plastic shopping bag, and duct tape the crap out of the dock. Have a wet sponge with soap ready in case you spill and working with an assistant makes it a heck of a lot easier (especially when you are working with spoiled, feral 4 year olds).

http://www.sstack.com/product/ultra-black-highlighter/
    This is the black highlighter we used - around the nostrils, mouth, eyes (the whole "bump" and underneath), and in the ears. I would put it on lightly with a sponge and then wipe it off. Grays got it on their hocks, knees, and ankles, and heavier in their ears - it looks great with the inside blacked out. I used baby oil for the knees, hocks, and ankles of all other colored horses.

We always did patterns on their rears too for every phase - looks so nice! We did the 3 stripes and sharksteeth mainly because we would have 16-18 horses at the shows with 3 grooms (who also had multiple horses to ride). A synthetic short bristled brush works best. For checkers, a lice comb or a rat tail comb broken to the right length works best. We wet the rear with a sponge, then put the patterns on, then sprayed a light coat of hair spray. It really isn't hard - just a couple times practicing and you can make reasonable looking ones.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky dog farm View Post
    Ok Fake tail Guru's, how do I attach a fake tail to my Appy who doesn't have enough real tail hair to cover it?

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/...d449783dc0.jpg

FlekenAwesome, at least Fleck has some tail!
    Mudknot would look fantastic - he has a great rear!

Yes, I guess I was when I wasn't out competing my own horse - that is what I was PAID to do as a groom.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight's Journey View Post
    I think the sun bleached ends are cute!
    Me too. Red highlights!
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Quote Originally Posted by kalidascope View Post

I love the Ultra stuff! But I haven't heard of black/white spray paint before. Could you please link to that so I can see what you mean?
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/shaple...-up-6239p.aspx
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

I think the mud knots are cool for XC.

Often a fuller tail can make the horse look conformationally more balanced. More balanced = higher scores in the dressage.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

5 members found this post helpful.

Well...I know that there are people out there that do this...but it is NOT a majority.

I think in all the eventing barns I've been in...and some are very BN...none of this is done. I know of one horse that had a fake tail but he really had NO tail...and they only used it at the really big competitions.

I'm in the group that doesn't have the time....if someone else wanted to get my thin tail guy a tail, pay for it themselves and put it in etc....I wouldn't say no, but absoultely not going to do it myself.

I have enough trouble finding time to dye my OWN hair and that is FAR FAR FAR more important than covering some sun bleaching on my horse.

ETA: I was a groom once....and we didn't do all that. We spent time grazing, and rubbing and making sure my horses were happy but clean . My horses drew compliments showing at Devon. No fake tails and no dye. You can make your horse look sharp and fantastic withOUT doing all of that. To each their own.
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; May. 2, 2013 at 08:17 PM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    I have enough trouble finding time to dye my OWN hair and that is FAR FAR FAR more important than covering some sun bleaching on my horse.
    LOL, me too!
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Haha. Now I know you and my husband would get along just fine.

Sadly, that's why I'm the one that has to do the tail pulling/clipping/primping/etc. Husband is having far too much fun playing "Man From Snowy River!"
    Last edited by hollynanne; May. 2, 2013 at 05:28 PM. Reason: primping, I forgot primping...
    Steppin Not Dragon "Bella"
    Top Shelf "Charlie"
    Check out the Military + Horses fb page!

I keep my horse's tail in a bag and reset it once a week. It has grown very long and thick.
    I'm a bit of a tail nazi though. I only use a wide tooth comb on it and start at the ends working my way up to the top when I comb it. Wash....show sheen...braid and tail bag. When he was racing his tail was just below his hocks abd would twist around itself.
    RIP Spider Murphy 4/20/02 - 10/31/10

Like CatchMeIfUCan I was also paid to be a groom. I pulled every tail in the barn, braided every horse, clipped all ears/nose/fetlocks/whatever and body clipped in the fall and winter, did quarter marks for dressage/SJ/Jog and big events XC, and did everything to make that horse looks its best.

I added fake tails when needed. I dyed sun bleached tails and forelocks. I added spray to nicks and cuts. I polished hooves (never with that black junk too AQHA IMO) before they jogged or went into dressage. I never added highlighter as it will cause sunburns and I think it looks gross but to each their own. When I groom the horses go out in top form. They look professional because that is my job.

When I compete my own horses, I don't go all out like when I am paid to groom. I don't have a fake for my young guy even though his tail is pathetic. They get braids, but I do half the ones I do if the horse was going FEI or upper levels. I do 9 on my TB and 11 on my ApQH where I would do 18/20 on a upper level horse. My grey only gets quarter marks when I feel the urge to break out the show polish and my bay gets four sharks teeth and a V. I haven't done checkers since I groomed at Red Hills. I spend less effort on my horses than if I am paid to groom.

I guess that at the end of the day, they look good just not Holy Sh*t good. Weeeelll what can you do? I'm no barbie but I want my horse to look good. I want to make a name for myself as classy and professional not slobby and messy.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

6 members found this post helpful.

Who has time for that - or do they hire an extra groom - I'd need to save my energy.

And "pooh" to any judge that would give a horse higher marks for a more 'balanced' look in dressage.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique