The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default spinoff - fake tails in eventing - do they exist or not?

just wondering.

If so, are they on in all three phases?

Yep, they exist. I had a TB gelding that would always score better when he was wearing his fake tail- it just made his overall balance look better. Most people at the upper levels just use them for the jogs, dressage, and sometimes stadium, not usually on XC.

When I groomed for an upper level rider, we put them on every horse for dressage and the jogs except the ones with tails to spare. Really completes the picture. We didn't use them on XC and only in big events in stadium on horses that didn't excessively flip their tails.

We also dyed all the tails and forelocks. Super easy to do and more people in the US really should, even at the lower levels.
    ~Isabel

Proud owner and Head Groom for Infinity Sport Horse
    Facebook :: Website

I also groomed for someone who used a fake tail on her Arab-x in trot ups and Dressage. Kept his tail from flipping up over his back which for some reason the judges didn't like. Got much better scores with the tail and lots of compliments. No one noticed or expected that the tail was fake.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by CatchMeIfUCan View Post
    When I groomed for an upper level rider, we put them on every horse for dressage and the jogs except the ones with tails to spare. Really completes the picture. We didn't use them on XC and only in big events in stadium on horses that didn't excessively flip their tails.

We also dyed all the tails and forelocks. Super easy to do and more people in the US really should, even at the lower levels.
    Dyed them what color and why?
    (as the owner of two boring bays... )
    Steppin Not Dragon "Bella"
    Top Shelf "Charlie"
    Check out the Military + Horses fb page!

Just gotta make sure the fake tail is on good though. I remember watching a dressage test at Groton House and a horse wearing one was flinging his tail all over the place trying to get it off. He finally succeeded as he was coming up centre line...it was pretty funny watching it fly up in the air and the horse seemed pretty pleased with himself too.

11 members found this post helpful.

Dyed them what color and why?
    I'd guess the horrible sun bleached ends on tails, I've dyed the tips of my bay's tail more than once...

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by North Dakota View Post
    I'd guess the horrible sun bleached ends on tails, I've dyed the tips of my bay's tail more than once...
    I think the sun bleached ends are cute!

3 members found this post helpful.

High in the mountains of Southwest Virginia

I've used them on several of my horses who couldn't be bothered to put a little effort into growing their tails. I put them in before Dressage/Trot-Up, take them out once the event is over, and have never had one fall out. If you do use one and leave it in for the entire event, braid/bag your horse's tail when not on course. It also helps to not skimp when purchasing the fake tail. Buy one that has a "matrix" instead of just a single loop attachment at the top. It will take longer to put in, but be less apt to fall out or damage your horse's real tail hairs.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If the Number 2 pencil is so popular, why is it still number 2?

My first upper level horse ripped a substantial chunk of his tail out on a bucket; he wore a fake tail at every show from that point on. I've since had a few who have worn them. And yes guilty for dying as well. I currently have a dark bay/brown horse and his tail isn't completely jet black. We buy a handful of different colors of cheap hair dye and mix them for the perfect concoction

My horse's tail has the unfortunate status of looking like a fake, even when it's not. (It even does that awkward getting caught in the hind legs thing that the bad AQHA tails do!) Any way to un-fake it?
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Former owner of the best Amish-carthorse-turned-eventer ever

Quote Originally Posted by rebelrider View Post
    My first upper level horse ripped a substantial chunk of his tail out on a bucket; he wore a fake tail at every show from that point on. I've since had a few who have worn them. And yes guilty for dying as well. I currently have a dark bay/brown horse and his tail isn't completely jet black. We buy a handful of different colors of cheap hair dye and mix them for the perfect concoction
    One can also dye a fake to match.

I have a lighter sorrel colored tail I bought for a previous horse that I've been meaning to dye to match my big bay's tail. When he was boarded last year he managed to rip out a substantial amount of what was once a lovely, thick tail. Now he's got that sad excuse for a "typical TB" tail that looks even more ridiculous when coupled with his Fabioesque wavy, double-thick mane.

I tell him his hairpiece makes him look younger.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

thanks all for the fun discussion. I knew there couldn't be all those perfect tails out there...

Quote Originally Posted by ellebeaux View Post
    thanks all for the fun discussion. I knew there couldn't be all those perfect tails out there...
    My 3yo has a fantastic, fake-looking tail. Now that I've said that out loud, I'm sure he will rip half of it off before he ever makes it to his first event.

I have a friend who owned a gelding that broke his tail - about halfway up, lost the entire bottom half of the tail and all the hair that went with it. He had a stub with no more than 6" of hair length - by the time it had fully healed, it had grown enough that we were able to creatively attach a fake so that he looked "normal" again. It took YEARS to grow back.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cleozowner View Post
    My horse's tail has the unfortunate status of looking like a fake, even when it's not. (It even does that awkward getting caught in the hind legs thing that the bad AQHA tails do!) Any way to un-fake it?

LOL...he has a nice tail I'd dock it higher and that should help with it getting caught in his hind legs.

I have a chestnut with not enough hair...he'd take a donation from your guy!
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

So when did the fake tails in eventing start? I was a working student / groom / rider in the 1990's - if there were fakes then - I wasn't aware of them!

Not my thing (and heck - I have an APPY right now, not the thickest tail, but that is the beauty of pulled and banged - you can make mediocre tails look pretty good).

So... tail gurus.... HOW on earth do I do a fake tail for this? Should I just dye the whole thing dark brown? Then add fake tail? HOW do you do them? Luckily the ISH/Appy has a great tail!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Quote Originally Posted by FLeckenAwesome View Post
    So... tail gurus.... HOW on earth do I do a fake tail for this? Should I just dye the whole thing dark brown? Then add fake tail? HOW do you do them? Luckily the ISH/Appy has a great tail!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    Fleck. You get one custom made.

I would absolutely use a fake tail.

And black tails should be dyed black. No red highlights allowed. : )
    I also use horse spray paint. Black on black legs and white on white legs.
    Chalk on scars and booboos. I also use the Ultra hoof paint. Feet get painted black---even the white feet. All black. Looks way sharp.
    And an over all shining spray.

this one: it's amazing.
    http://www.horsehealthusa.com/images...e/386-5040.jpg

I learned a lot hanging around the Andalusian breed shows. lol.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Look at pictures of Outlawed in the 2003 Foxhall cup. You'll notice he has a long tail for dressage (fetlock length), and then a neatly banged tail just below the hock for XC and SJ.

I did dye a tail and horribly sun-bleached mane and forelock on a few occasions when I was grooming. Never did it on my own horse, but she never got that sun-bleached. However, we only did it for three days, not HTs.

We used eye liner and black spray as needed to color old scars or the white hair from pinfiring or old injuries. I had a horse with a blanket sore on her withers that grew out white. I dyed that! I also have seen where a horse had injections and they clipped the hair on the coronary band, leaving an obvious mark. Mascara worked wonders there.

Quote Originally Posted by CatchMeIfUCan View Post
    How do you do forelocks without getting it everywhere? (E.g. on a white blaze.)

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    I also use horse spray paint. Black on black legs and white on white legs.
    Chalk on scars and booboos. I also use the Ultra hoof paint. Feet get painted black---even the white feet. All black. Looks way sharp.
    And an over all shining spray.

this one: it's amazing.
    http://www.horsehealthusa.com/images...e/386-5040.jpg
    I love the Ultra stuff! But I haven't heard of black/white spray paint before. Could you please link to that so I can see what you mean?