The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My vets have even started giving all regular vaccines in the pecs as they seek to make as few neck-sore horses as possible. Horses will still (generally) walk around if a pec is sore, but many just won't put their head down to eat/drink if their neck is sore

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Procaine penicillin, for example, will kill a horse if any of the dose slips into a vein.
    Not necessarily (or often) -- but it will cause a terrifying procaine reaction that can lead to horse or human injury.

2 members found this post helpful.

I pretty much exclusively give IM injections in the neck. Second preferred location is the pectoral muscle.

I do not love the hamstrings, as my horse always seems to get extremely sore when he gets a shot there. He got his penicillin shots there (alternating sides every day) when he had a bad laceration, and he was extremely sore. He got his IM Strangles vaccination in the hamstring on Monday, and he is extremely sore and reluctant to even move his hind leg forward when walking (he does loosen out of it and was actually fine for a light ride today). I've always had the IM Strangles vaccination given in the neck previously, and he was fine with that. I think we will stick with that from now on...live and learn, I guess!

Used to be neck, now pecs always. Two got very sore necks from Pentason and my vet told me to use the pec location instead. No more soreness. He also said if you are going to give it in the neck, give it lower down the neck - not necessarily in the triangle area.

Like Deltawave I prefer the hamstrings. The neck is my second choice. The pecs seldom if at all. Those hind end muscles are big, and used a lot, the neck almost as good, Not much action, comparatively speaking in the pecs. I only knew one horse who wasn't a candidate for hamstrings, and he meant it.

The purpose of withdrawing before injecting is to assure your self that you are indeed in the muscle, not a blood source be it venous or otherwise. It is not to prevent infection. It is to prevent having a horse in a heap at your feet, which is bound to make a lasting impression, I believe.

Not only does the length of needle have to be considered but also its gauge. Most vets when supplying medication also dispense the appropriate needle. The average lay person wouldn't be expected to know the difference between a thin walled and a standard. Nor are they likely to be found at your average supply source.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

How is a thin walled needle more beneficial than a normal wall? Do you have a higher chance of it breaking off?

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Wow, gumtree, that's a whole lot of misinformation in one paragraph.
    Opinions are like butts everyone has one. The majority of my posts are prefaced with “IMO” I apologize for not doing so with this one. Butt I suggest you do the same in all fairness. Or at least qualify you comments with reasons and back ground working with horses. Not the odd ones over the years but at a professional level. Even with 57 years of working with horses and as a Vet’s assistant perhaps I have been given/taught “misinformation”. I am always open and eager to learn more or be corrected in my understanding. I have learned a lot over the years but I know I don’t know everything. And never will. I have also learned there are a lot of vets as doctors who think they do but in the end were wrong. Perhaps that’s why malpractice insurance is so expensive.
    To satisfy those who feel the same as you and in all fairness I should have started with saying; 99% of pony clubbers, 4-H and hobby owners that will give IM injections it will be with medications that are perfectly suitable to be given in the neck. It is also the easiest and most comfortable for the average caretaker. The OP was asking about Adequan and that is where 99% will be given. And that is where 99% of vets will tell you to inject. IMO and experience.
    Are there IM meds that should be given in others parts of the anatomy absolutely. But the average caretaker should leave that decision to their vet. And or their instructions. The average caretaker should not be handed the meds to do so. The average caretaker should already know how to give IM or IV by being taught not by getting advise in a forum where 99% of the people that give advise hide behind a screen name with no link to their back ground nor qualifications. This is what I do for a living and I must being doing most things right because I have been in business for a long time. In a very competitive area.
    I ended my previous comments with “to each their own” and I end this one with the same, to each their own. Take what you want from it. Dismiss what you don’t.

My comment primarily was regarding the completely erroneous statement that when one draws back on a needle before injecting that one is seeking to prevent infection. That is not an "IMO" thing. That was just plain incorrect.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by morganpony86 View Post
    I actually know vets who don't recommend IM injections in the semimembranosus/semitendinosus due to the extremely thick fascia covering those muscles and their neighbors (biceps femoris, etc) in the horse. The thick fascia makes a highway for infections to travel deeper into the limb should they occur. Plus you have the danger of getting kicked, and the danger of hitting the sciatic nerve.

IMO, neck and pecs are my first stops. The only time I've done the semimem/ten is when I was giving penicillin injections and ran out of places in the front end.
    You'd need a harpoon to hit the sciatic from the semitendinous/semimembranosus...
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Quote Originally Posted by reay6790 View Post
    How is a thin walled needle more beneficial than a normal wall? Do you have a higher chance of it breaking off?
    A wider lumen without increasing the gauge. You can still use a 22 gauge on a substance that would require a 20.

I've seen needles bend, never break. I usually pop the needle in first, if the horse explodes there is no attached syringe twiddling around. Then the syringe can be quietly connected .
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

I prefer the neck, and have never had an issue with injections in the neck. The one time my horses got their vaccinations in the chest, they both developed fairly large lumps that remained for days. IMO, the chest has nowhere to drain to. They might still be sore after a shot in the neck, although I've never noticed any soreness, but any swelling is minimized because it can "drains" better (I'm sure there's a better way to describe that).

Where lymphatic drainage goes is not a matter of opinion, but of anatomy. The pecs drain very well into the thorax and down along the chest/abdominal wall. They are, however, somewhat "touchy" muscles in some horses and the skin is relatively thin in that area. I've never felt comfortable doing shots in the pecs, but that doesn't mean it isn't a viable spot for some horses in the right hands.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    You'd need a harpoon to hit the sciatic from the semitendinous/semimembranosus...
    While I mostly agree, those 1.5" needles are pretty "harpoonish" to me, and if you have a small pony, you'd get pretty close, especially if you're injecting more towards the origins of the muscles. It's not outside the realm of possibility, hence why I prefer neck or pectorals, though as in my first post I have other reasons to prefer those locations as well.

HOW does everyone give a shot? I've been squirting out a bit of the liquid for air bubbles but I hate losing any. Then I insert needle, pull back to check for blood, and slowly empty.

Last night I managed to get blood when I removed the needle so I felt pretty bad.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thigh.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	38127You'd have to come close to striking the caudal aspect of the femur..
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    HOW does everyone give a shot? I've been squirting out a bit of the liquid for air bubbles but I hate losing any. Then I insert needle, pull back to check for blood, and slowly empty.

Last night I managed to get blood when I removed the needle so I felt pretty bad.
    By no means am I an expert shot giver, lol - but here are some tips;

flicking the syringe with your finger can make the individual bubbles in the syringe come to the top. Then with the needle off, I push a tiny bit the get any excess air out. I try not to actually squirt any liquid out. If there's a tiny bubble it's not going to kill your horse! With more practice, you'll get the hang of it.

I personally put the needle in separate from the syringe because of personal preference and in case they move around or are startled (which hopefully doesn't happen anyway!), then connect the syringe, I prefer luer lock needles & syringes - just my preference. Then draw back to see if any blood comes in the "hub" of the needle. If not, push slowly and consistently and withdraw needle. I rub or massage the area for a few seconds.

If you didn't see blood come into the hub of the needle when you pulled back, but did see some blood with you withdrew the needle after injection - it could because you hit a vessel or capillary? when injecting the needle. But as long as there is no blood coming into the hub when you pull back you should be fine. Also make sure to not move the needle between pulling back & injecting.

I normally do the neck & pecs. I have sensitive ones and I've always been to leery to do the hamstrings.....

There are also a lot of vids on youtube demonstrating, if you find that helpful

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...be.2wRtYvxg0eY

I do the neck, but try not to give more than one shot per side if I'm giving more than one. I like it because it is easy to find and have yet to have a horse get real sore or infected - knock on wood.

Agree with everything in the above post except I to a solid tap-tap with my knuckles at the injection site, then pinch up a bit of skin and insert the needle near my thumb by the pinched skin. I find this surprises them a bit less than just popping it in there, but is easier than easing it in for the sensitive types. Draw back, push in steadily, then pull the needle out and inspect for blood or it being bent, etc.

Never done the hamstrings, and don't plan to. Might do the pecs sometime, but my horses have always been very flexible, and I don't want to find out what the business end of their hind leg feels like!

Trouble is I must read too much COTH because I'm convinced my horse is going to drop dead every time I give her a shot.

2 members found this post helpful.