The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Eventing in Minnesota? Or NW Wisconsin?

I posted for the first time in YEARS on here in November asking for recommendations for facilities with schooling programs in St. Louis- thank you again for your recommendations, but I kid you not a week after I posted that, I got an offer for a job I couldn't turn down in Minneapolis!

So, after only three months of living in St. Louis, I packed my five cats up once again and headed north.

Any recommendations or advice anyone has about riding in this area is SO welcome!

I do have a general outline of what I am looking for, here are some of the things
    -A patient trainer! I've been completely out of the barn for 4 years now and I'm (as crazy as it is and I don't understand it, I'd been riding for 15 years prior to my break!) sort of terrified!
    -Lesson horses who are sound, sane and super patient to help me get my seat back.
    -A laid back atmosphere! I spent years getting caught up in the aesthetics and the showiness of it all and it eventually led to my departure from the sport. I really want to ride to enjoy it and avoid as much of the craziness as possible.

Also, it wouldn't hurt, since I just moved here, if there were other riders there in their late twenties and would mayyyybe want to grab coffee with me sometime (Asking a lot here, I know!)

I grew up riding hunters but find myself completely drawn to the world of eventing, so any facilities that can provide this would be awesome! However, if my options are limited I'm willing to go anywhere while I get my seat back.

Thanks in advance everyone!

You are in a really active area for eventing and dressage. Try CSDEA for some info. Otter Creek Horse Trials (WI) is a lovely event and their spring event is coming up in May.

Columbus posts on here sometime, maybe she could give you some more info on specific barns.

Awesome, thank you Brigitte!

While I can't be of any help to you I just thought I would say good luck! I just moved to Grand Forks, ND which is four hours from Minneapolis and am in the same boat looking for a place to board and make some friends!!

Not just Otter Creek is in the area with its two Recognized events - Roebke's Run in Fairfax, MN will hold two this year up to Intermediate with the second being a CIC*! For lower levels (BN - T), Steepleview in Delano, MN will be holding a Recognized. The center of Area IV eventing is definitely moving north!
    Brock
    Brock n. (Anglo-Saxon) badger as in Brockenhurst, Brocklebank etc www.area35.us

The first thing I would suggest is to join the yahoogroup
    TCCTList. It will provide you with a great deal of the
    activity of the region's eventing community, including
    both the recognized events and the more numerous
    schooling opportunities.

I think you will find the eventing community in the area
    quite welcoming and happy to help you find your way.
    Let the folks on TCCTList know which side of the cities
    you are on and you can get suggestions on which barns
    might suit you.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

Welcome to Minneapolis! I just moved here last year. Surprisingly it is a very active Eventing area. We have lots of top quality instructors for you to choose from, however I am not for sure who has lesson horses. Where are you located at? Are you looking to take lessons on the East or West side of the cities? Flat lessons to start out with or jumping lessons. If I remember, I will ask my jump instructor tomorrow who has lesson horses. I have my own horse, so I never worried about it. Another great resource is the TCCTList on yahoo groups. It is very active group of people. If you have an questions, feel free to PM me.

If you are looking for an activity next weekend, you should come to watch the Ralph Hill Clinic at Northbrook Farm in Stillwater. I am pretty sure auditing is free, but I will check.

Welcome to Minneapolis! I just moved here last year. Surprisingly it is a very active Eventing area. We have lots of top quality instructors for you to choose from, however I am not for sure who has lesson horses. Where are you located at? Are you looking to take lessons on the East or West side of the cities? Flat lessons to start out with or jumping lessons. If I remember, I will ask my jump instructor tomorrow who has lesson horses. I have my own horse, so I never worried about it. Another great resource is the TCCTList on yahoo groups. It is very active group of people. If you have an questions, feel free to PM me.

If you are looking for an activity next weekend, you should come to watch the Ralph Hill Clinic at Northbrook Farm in Stillwater. I am pretty sure auditing is free, but I will check. I will be there, hopefully riding.

Welcome to the Twin cities! What part are you living in? There are tons of barns on all sides of the cities, and definitely get on the TCCT list.

I'm heading to the otter creek spring horse trials to watch, if you'd like to go?
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~

I'm not sure how I never responded to this thread, but I will definitely be PMing you! I did just buy my own horse and am riding at a barn in Forest Lake, but would love to have more riding friends here!
    Last edited by Kels; Dec. 17, 2013 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Spelling

Default North Brook

In Forest Lake you are relatively close to North Brook which has an active barn. http://www.csdea.org/content.aspx?pa...dule_id=113986. Which barn are you based out of? PatO

1 members found this post helpful.

Hi columbus, I'm at Spring Creek Farm (which I am pretty sure is technically Forest Lake but always seems like it's in Columbus to me! It makes me smile, because I'm from Columbus, Ohio) right now and really really enjoy it there. I've really gotten back to basics with my riding after a few years off and it's been awesome. The only concerns I have are 1) I really would like to start eventing my new mare sometime in the next year or two so it would be nice to be somewhere with more amenities for that (I don't have a trailer) and 2) Location, boyfriend wants to move to South MPLS or to the west metro area in the spring when our lease is up.

I live in NE right now and would be happy to stay here, but I travel for work and am gone a lot of the time so I'm willing to move if it makes more sense for him.

I did check out North Brook, it looks beautiful. It might be an eventuality for me but right now is more than I'd like to pay (but... mayyybeeee after I move into a less expensive apartment and get next year's raise )

P.S., I did join the TCCTL yahoo group and the csdea website is super helpful, so thank you for those recommendations (I don't remember if they were here or from another search I did).