The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default PSA Cattle Drug Found in Molasses based horse feed

http://horsetalk.co.nz/2013/03/24/ca.../#.UX1mkMrQTPw

Testing by the California Horse Racing Board has found the prohibited drug zilpaterol in several sweet feed products containing a molasses base produced by Purina at their Turlock mill in California.

Zilpaterol is a beta-2 agonist used to promote weight gain in livestock. ARCI (Racing Commissioners International) classifies zilpaterol as a Class 3 drug with a Category A penalty.

The CHRB said Purina produces several sweet feed products under their own name and under the Country Acres brand. To date, all the products were milled at the Turlock plant in February and have included Purina Race Ready, Purina Strategy, Purina Omoline-200, Country Acres Horse Feed and Country Acres Sweet-12. To date, all the products were milled at the Turlock plant in February. The Turlock plant is designated TRL on the lot number.

It said if any licensed trainer or feed company has an unopened bag of any Purina brand from mid-February milled at their Turlock plant, they should contact their local CHRB investigator.

The CHRB has been working with the California Department of Food and Agriculture on the issue.

1 members found this post helpful.

Yikes! I will have to check my records to figure out when I bought my last bag of Omolene 200. Turlock is about two hours from me so it's highly likely what I have came from that plant. I think I will throw away what I have left. Fortunately, I only mix about 1 cup into my feed.

Thanks for posting this!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

You're welcome.
    All this gets scary.

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    Yikes! I will have to check my records to figure out when I bought my last bag of Omolene 200. Turlock is about two hours from me so it's highly likely what I have came from that plant. I think I will throw away what I have left. Fortunately, I only mix about 1 cup into my feed.

Thanks for posting this!

Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    You're welcome.
    All this gets scary.
    I plan on contacting Purina tomorrow, I'll report back with their response.

Purina is kind of a franchise.
    They sell the right to use their formulas and brand name to different mills, that then produce, distribute and market the products under the Purina name.
    At least that is the way they seem to work around here.

So, the local mill that made that feed is the one that is responsible for what happened, that is probably some of their suppliers sent the wrong batch of additives, that was made for cattle, not horses.
    That is very dangerous, some of those cattle additives can kill a horse just by the batch being mixed in the same bin it was used and barely have a residue there of it, like rumensin.

Here, to make horse feed, mills have a separate facility just for that, in case someone doesn't clean a bin perfectly.
    No one wants sick or dead horses caused by something sold by their mill.

Will be interesting to hear what Purina tells you.

I learned a little about the feed industry when I uwsed to purchase Technical dogfood. The same company also produced an extruded horse feed and several other pet foods.

The pipes that the processed food travels through is very extensive.

They are supposed to be "flushed" after each run, however some employees are lazy as it is work and also some companies are cheap as they do not want to waste food.

There have been cases of pig food contaminating chicken feed with deadly results..

Bluey, you are correct that it is a franchise like the coca cola bottlers. They do not have the formula..they are supplied with the ingredients.

One of the reasons I purchased master feeds products is due to their pipe flushing.

Why I use Dynamite.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    I learned a little about the feed industry when I uwsed to purchase Technical dogfood. The same company also produced an extruded horse feed and several other pet foods.

The pipes that the processed food travels through is very extensive.

They are supposed to be "flushed" after each run, however some employees are lazy as it is work and also some companies are cheap as they do not want to waste food.

There have been cases of pig food contaminating chicken feed with deadly results..

Bluey, you are correct that it is a franchise like the coca cola bottlers. They do not have the formula..they are supplied with the ingredients.

One of the reasons I purchased master feeds products is due to their pipe flushing.

Thumbs down Thumbs down to Purina Customer Service

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Will be interesting to hear what Purina tells you.
    My conversation was interesting. The customer service person I spoke with was somewhat guarded at first until I told her I live in California and the affected plant was only 2 hours away. I haven't check my bag yet, but based on when I bought it, she was fairly certain my bag is affected.

I do have to bring the bag back to the store where I bought it, which is a minor inconvenience. I'm surprised she didn't offer me a coupon or anything. Even an apology for the hassle would have been nice.

Customer service fail for Purina.
    Last edited by jenm; Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Typo

I've used both Nutrena and Triple Crown. Both times I've had trouble with a bag they've sent me coupons for for free bags, in addition to replacing bags.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Good to know about their customer service. They should reimburse you somehow.

My conversation was interesting. The customer service person I spoke with was somewhat guarded at first until I told her I live in California and the affected plant was only 2 hours away. I haven't check my bag yet, but based on when I bought it, she was fairly certain my back is affected.

I do have to bring the bag back to the store where I bought it, which is a minor inconvenience. I'm surprised she didn't offer me a coupon or anything. Even an apology for the hassle would have been nice.

Customer service fail for Purina.

Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    Good to know about their customer service. They should reimburse you somehow.
    I followed up with an email letting them know how disappointed I was in how this was being handled. It will be interesting to see if I get a response.

Yea it will.

I followed up with an email letting them know how disappointed I was in how this was being handled. It will be interesting to see if I get a response.

Is this Turlock mill producing ONLY Purina feeds?

I believe all my feed is coming out of Keyes.

What a mess.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket