The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Quote Originally Posted by 7HL View Post
    YES!.... Everyone dies sometime. Might as well be on a horse. The mere fact that you are asking... sell the horse and take up badminton. If you are going to ride with constant "fear"... then don't. I broke my collar bone coming off my mare, when she and I were both green. As soon as I could I got back on. Been kicked, stepped on, and come off more times then I can count. I wear a helmet, personal choice. Also have a nice pair of steel toed boots. So sell your horse or get over it.
    It's not that simple for most people.

First of all, you can't lose what you didn't have. If you didn't sign the paperwork and start the first day of employment, then you didn't have the job. What you had was an offer. A lot can go wrong on both sides of the contract before anyone actually gets down to signing. The job offer could have been withdrawn because of diminished funds, etc. Utilize your down time and start digging again.

IMO, if you need the paycheck to finance the horse hobby, then the paycheck takes precedence over the ride. It all comes down to a frank assessment of the priorities in your life, and in what order you place them. Once you've got that set, then you can make the decisions to make the system work for you.

ETA: I would also add that, with the cost of medical/rehab services, if you are currently not covered by medical insurance, it might be wise to wait until you are covered and it kicks in before riding this horse again. The bills from these two providers are out of sight!
    Last edited by Chief2; Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:50 AM.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Quote Originally Posted by Chief2 View Post

ETA: I would also add that, with the cost of medical/rehab services, if you are currently not covered by medical insurance, it might be wise to wait until you are covered and it kicks in before riding this horse again. The bills from these two providers are out of sight!
    Thank god I am in Canada, so no medical bills. However, insurance is still something definitely worth while, and something which would have come with the job.

I've looked the risk in the eye and said hell yeah! However as time went on I did drop other risky behaviors. Horses not so much. They are a risk I'm willing to take to my grave. I've never had a job that didn't require full physical capacity so I have crookedly healed broken bones in my hands and feet. I have been hurt enough to be scared for everything I own. It did not change my opinion.

OP- I am late to this post but I have thought the same as you. When you start to feel it/ question it, then its time to tweek it a bit. For me, I will ride only my own horse now after having a nasty fall off someone elses last spring. I am not ready to give it up, but I have made changes. time will help you sort it out. good luck

1 members found this post helpful.