The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CruzN View Post
    Well I am a little surprised at the number of respondents claiming that "life" is dangerous. Yes, I could get in a car accident, yes I could trip and fall. But, the difference is that those are ACCIDENTS. I would not classify what happened to me as an accident, my horse did not simply trip, she took off and then rodeo bronced across the field. I lasted 7 or 8 bucks. I did not hit the ground by accident, I hit the ground because that's where she wanted me. I have started more then a few young horses- I did not fall because I was not up to the task, I can sit a buck as good as the next guy.

I appreciate what people are saying, but it does seem a little crazy to me that my hobby (lifestyle?) just cost me a very good job. Without a job, there is no hobby... No, I don't think I'm about to get out of horses all together, but I do think I will be rethinking the type of horse I own.
    Well, is your horse generally a mean idiot? If I had a horse that generally wanted to give me the finger, then no. I don't think I'd take that chance.

I'm lucky enough to have a mare that is as sweet under saddle as she is pretty. She has a kind eye and a kind heart. She's a risk I'm willing to take. I won't take a risk on an unpredictable bonehead.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

2 members found this post helpful.

Just living is a risk. Every time you leave your house you are at the risk of being injured by either yourself or by someone else's actions. If you dwell on the " what could happen" you end up afraid to leave the house.

As i have gotten older I find that the type of horse I want to ride has changed, not my desire to. It isn't driven by fear of injury, just by my own limitations as I continue to degrade physically!!

You might take this time off to decide if your current horse is right for you. If she scares you or is more than you care to take on there is no shame in moving on to a more stable mount. You can't afford a horse if you can't work.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by gaitedincali View Post
    If someone is involved in a hobby they aren't 100% comfortable with and are constantly worrying about their safety, do you really think finding another equally enjoyable hobby where they aren't constantly anxious is going to degrade quality of life?
    that was not the question, was it?

If you are not comfortable doing it, you stop. But the original posted question, as it was phrased did not imply the discomfort, but referred to the injury.

And I have hurt myself more doing mundaine things as of late.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    well, that is a different view point than 'coming off'

yes, I had a ride like that at one point, not a chance to stay on, the destination was programmed in before the first crow hop.

so yeah, bronc busting is probably not in your best interest.
    But that was not the original question you asked.
    The first sentence in my OP says "long story short, my young mare bucked me off last week". I never said anything about "coming off."

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    that was not the question, was it?

If you are not comfortable doing it, you stop. But the original posted question, as it was phrased did not imply the discomfort, but referred to the injury.
    That was basically what I posted that you seemed to have trouble with. I'm glad we're on the same page, and you didn't really think that not being comfortable with the risks of riding = giving up quality of life and spending the rest of it on the porch.

Well I am a little surprised at the number of respondents claiming that "life" is dangerous. Yes, I could get in a car accident, yes I could trip and fall. But, the difference is that those are ACCIDENTS. I would not classify what happened to me as an accident, my horse did not simply trip, she took off and then rodeo bronced across the field. I lasted 7 or 8 bucks. I did not hit the ground by accident, I hit the ground because that's where she wanted me. I have started more then a few young horses- I did not fall because I was not up to the task, I can sit a buck as good as the next guy.
    I would call that an accident.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingArabian View Post
    For me, yes and no.

Yes it's worth the risk to keep riding *my* horse. We work together well, I only ever fell off him once and that was still during our "getting to know you" phase. I will do some things that put me at a greater risk of falling, but within reason.

No it's not worth the risk to me to ride greenies, brats or ill-tempered/mannered/trained horses.
    This. I trust Sophie, she rarely does anything bad.

I spent 11 weeks non weight bearing after falling....in the garage
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

For me riding is a passion. Always has been for as long as I can remember. Only you know how you really feel. No one forces anyone to ride and believe me some days a nice, Steady Eddie, QH looks real nice to me also.

One could take up knitting. Of course, when the arm is better.
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

The first sentence in my OP says "long story short, my young mare bucked me off last week". I never said anything about "coming off."
    well, there are bucks and there are BUCKS. And 7 or 8 hops are the latter. Like I said, i had a ride like that. I just parted ways at the 3rd rather than 8th....

So yeah, that is disconcerting. I would probably rethink mounting that horse again (as I did with the horse in my story, I stuck it out a little longer but eventually parted ways with him)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    I would call that an accident.
    Accident:

an undesirable or unfortunate happening that occurs unintentionally and usually results in harm, injury, damage, or loss; casualty; mishap: automobile accidents.

Well, as Hank Williams sang, no matter how hard I try, I'll never get out of this world alive.

For me personally, it's worth the risk, but it's absolutely an individual call. I've had good friends seriously injured and killed while riding horses. I've had good friends who took every reasonable precaution, ate and exercised right, didn't smoke, etc, just up and drop dead. You just never know but I aim to enjoy myself to the max as long as I can, in the pursuits of my choice!

There are, I think, a couple of things in play. As we age I think increasing caution kicks in as a part of the human 'survival instinct.' (Strictly amateur opinion mind you). Also, no matter our age, some of us just enjoy taking risks more than others- that's not good or bad, it's just what is. So the upshot is, if you or I decide that continuing something we've done all our lives is something we no longer want to do, then hey, you or I stop doing that, whatever it is!

Ride or don't. You seem to be trying to justify why you don't want to ride. It really doesn't matter to anyone but you and the people you support.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

4 members found this post helpful.

Accident:

an undesirable or unfortunate happening that occurs unintentionally and usually results in harm, injury, damage, or loss; casualty; mishap: automobile accidents.

Well you weren't planning on it were you?? If you really think your horse decided( planned ) to buck you off intentionally yesterday then maybe you shouldn't be riding at all. A horse usually gives plenty of warning when they are acting off,stupid, crazy, spooky, full of it, but we just don't take the time to read the signals. Unless you pulled this horse off the range and just threw a saddle on her I doubt getting you off was in her mind at all.

Accident:

Curious here, maybe you didn't intend to get bucked off, but did the little mare intend to buck you off?? Did she show any sign of being out of sorts that morning or the days ahead of time? If she went 8 leaps, there is more going on than a few bucks and then coming to her senses. That's some serious bucking. Congrats, though, on sticking that long. I've only been able to stick maybe 4 or 5 through the years and it's only because the pegleg landings that caused me to loosen my grip.

Still, if you're having these thoughts, there isn't anything wrong with changing your horse activities to something safer. Not that mini ponies won't hurt you but the chance of getting bucked off are pretty slim.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley View Post
    Well, as Hank Williams sang, no matter how hard I try, I'll never get out of this world alive.

For me personally, it's worth the risk, but it's absolutely an individual call. I've had good friends seriously injured and killed while riding horses. I've had good friends who took every reasonable precaution, ate and exercised right, didn't smoke, etc, just up and drop dead. You just never know but I aim to enjoy myself to the max as long as I can, in the pursuits of my choice!

There are, I think, a couple of things in play. As we age I think increasing caution kicks in as a part of the human 'survival instinct.' (Strictly amateur opinion mind you). Also, no matter our age, some of us just enjoy taking risks more than others- that's not good or bad, it's just what is. So the upshot is, if you or I decide that continuing something we've done all our lives is something we no longer want to do, then hey, you or I stop doing that, whatever it is!
    I completely agree with everything you've said here. Where I am hung up is that am I enjoying myself sitting here now with a broken arm? No. Was I enjoying hanging on for dear life(lol)? No. I enjoy riding and having a horse, but I don't enjoy where I am now. I obviously need to rethink current horse if I want to get back to enjoying the sport. I am still hung up on the fact that without a job, I cannot afford to have this lifestyle, but the lifestyle poses a risk to my job...

Our pastor slipped on the ice while cleaning snow off the windshield. Broke his arm and needed 3 surgeries to get it right. So maybe he should give up clean wind shields. Just kidding, but you get my drift.

At my age, I got myself a packer when I realized my other horse was too much for me and I broke my arm coming off him too. I won't give up riding until I can no longer hold the reins and sit upright. There's always a risk...I came off my packer last year but in a much more gentle way and except for stretching some tendons and ligaments that were never conditioned to stretch THAT far, I was okay.

I figure I'm in more danger driving to the farm everyday, what with people texting and talking on phones, than I am around my horse. No guarantees of anything.
    Ride like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    Well you weren't planning on it were you?? If you really think your horse decided( planned ) to buck you off intentionally yesterday then maybe you shouldn't be riding at all. A horse usually gives plenty of warning when they are acting off,stupid, crazy, spooky, full of it, but we just don't take the time to read the signals. Unless you pulled this horse off the range and just threw a saddle on her I doubt getting you off was in her mind at all.
    Absolutely I think that was her intent. (Do I think they have the ability to plan? No. Do I think in that moment that she wanted me off? Yes, which is why I believe she intended to get me off.) These weren't fun, play bucks. Yes, I did notice that she was "up" before I got on her, so I spent a good half hour lunging her before I got on.

Eta: I was riding her in a bosal, so I couldn't pull her head up the same as if she had a bit in her mouth.

Cruz - I, unfortunately understand where you are coming from. In Nov 2011, I rode a Fjord mare for the 2nd time to decide if I wanted her as a free lease. Last canter of the ride, she pulled me down on her neck and bucked me into the ground.

I dislocated and fractured vertebrae C7, the last neck vertebrae. I was lucky as I was fused and have full use of everything. I was out of work for 6 months, and ended up retiring in Oct. of 2012. I had still needed more time for healing.

I have been mulling it over whether to ride again or not. I won't be riding again as I cannot have another serious fall. I don't have a lot of balance due to having a minor stroke in 2007.

because I had boarded out my horse and was horseless at that time, I don't have any encouragement or "rush" to get back on.

I truly understand if you say you don't want to ride again or if you say only steady eddie horses. but any horse is an animal and things do happen.

3 members found this post helpful.

Splitting hairs here. You came off because she bucked and unseated you. With gravity, velocity and trajectory...you came off. There's no sin in that. No one is suggesting that on a clear bright day, with your horse standing still, you suddenly fell to the ground.

Ride like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by alabama View Post
    Ride or don't. You seem to be trying to justify why you don't want to ride. It really doesn't matter to anyone but you and the people you support.
    I am not asking if I should ride ever again or not, and I'm not justifying why I don't want to ride, because I do, and I will ride again. What I am actually trying to do is see my non-horsey SO's point of view. He thinks its crazy to keep riding after it just cost me a very good job. And I can see why he would think that. I never asked if you thought I should ride again, I was asking is it worth the risk? I realize this is a very personal question that everyone has to answer for themselves, but wanted to get some feedback on how other people felt about it. I am a mess of emotions right now, and on some serious painkillers.