The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Just to look at some information:

In a 20 year study, they found that when looking at the dog related attack deaths that there were 25 different breeds. Including a Westie and Cocker Spaniel.

Although fatal attacks on humans appear to be a breed-specific problem (pit bull-type dogs and Rottweilers), other breeds may bite and cause fatalities at higher rates. Because of difficulties inherent in determining a dog’s breed with certainty, enforcement of breed-specific ordinances raises con- stitutional and practical issues. Fatal attacks represent a small proportion of dog bite injuries to humans and, therefore, should not be the primary factor driving public policy concerning dangerous dogs. Many practi- cal alternatives to breed-specific ordinances exist and hold promise for prevention of dog bites. (J Am Vet Med Assoc 2000;217:836–840)
    There's also the issue of what really is a "Pit Bull".

http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html

and for what it's worth.. I had Bella DNA tested and it came back 75% St Bernard.

You've gotten some great info in this thread (thirding Control Unleashed!), but I just wanted to add that you might want to look around at dog daycares in your area. If you go to a good one, they can pair her up with mellow larger dogs and give her good experiences with them. It can also help that you aren't actually there the entire time she's with the other dogs, because we owners are good at freaking our dogs out even more (this is from a person with a reactive Border Collie, I know I tense up if I notice a trigger). Honestly, dog daycares are a lot like dog parks, only with more control over what is going on (good ones, at least).

Quote Originally Posted by Meredith Clark View Post
    for what it's worth.. I had Bella DNA tested and it came back 75% St Bernard.
    Don't you love those things? We have an obvious Border Collie/Spaniel mix at work who had one of those done, and it came back Coonhound/Newfoundland/Boxer. Whaaat?