The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Skin Condition that Looks Like Powdery Dust on Butt - Experts?

Has anyone seen a skin condition like this- its on the butt and in the area behind the saddle. Its basically un-noticeable, but when you groom those areas you always see a fine brownish powder. It looks like dust coming up when you groom, but its not dirt or dust.

You can brush and curry forever, but there's always more powder that comes off the skin.

What is a non-oily substitute for MTG? I tried using that stuff a few times, but I need something thats easy to use and not a big oily mess. (spray iodine on his butt daily? buy some vetricyn?)

Thanks!

Sounds like he just has dry skin. Not terribly unusual this time of year.

Adding fat to his diet will help some. I sometimes find a baby oil and water mixture, sprayed on and rubbed in with a rag can help a little. Avoid soap baths and groom him like crazy.

I'd give him a bath with gentle soap then groom daily. I find that a spray like Showsheen can help as well.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

http://www.healthyhaircare.com/hairMoist.php

This stuff. I love it. You mix it with water in a spray bottle.

Sounds like Dandruff. Bathe him with gentle, moisturizing soap and groom him daily. I suggest adding some fat to his diet, such as oil. I'm no expert, so I really can't recommend which oil/fatty food to use, but I'm sure someone can help you out on that!
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~

If it isn't dirt and it isn't dust (how on earth can you tell?) then it has to be dander. Keep currying. Also goes without saying that one can hoard a lot of particulate matter in dirty brushes.
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    If it isn't dirt and it isn't dust (how on earth can you tell?) then it has to be dander. Keep currying. Also goes without saying that one can hoard a lot of particulate matter in dirty brushes.
    Oh yeah. DW makes a good point. Are your brushes clean? I'm often blown away by how dirty some people's brushes are!

Sounds like normal dry-skin/end-of-winter/no-baths-in-a-while scurf to me. I am a grooming fiend, I curry and curry and then use a mitt and then a dandy (scraping the dandy clean every quarter of the horse), etc etc. I am familiar with scurf.

Oil MIGHT help. MIGHT. My horse currently gets 1.25 cups of oil plus three pounds a day of Amplify, which is 30-something-percent fat. He still has scurf around his forelock and normal horse dirt on his booty. Yanno what helps? A bath. And a vacuum. Mostly the vacuum.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

so what is dander exactly, dandruff?

Dander is bits of dead skin that naturally exfoliate all the time. Dandruff is more of a pathological condition where for whatever reason much more exfoliation occurs than the normal, constant turnover that happens naturally.
    Click here before you buy.

Md horse auction just had a few cases of mites & barn in southern Pa has 2 horses w/ lice.

I've found that a firm boar bristle brush really picks that stuff up and also stimulates a nice shiny coat. I don't know if they make a boar bristle horse brush, so I just order a human brush online.

I THINK that w/ lice &/or mites the horse would be very itchy - yes/no/maybe???
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Quote Originally Posted by ldaziens View Post
    I THINK that w/ lice &/or mites the horse would be very itchy - yes/no/maybe???
    Yes. My filly had lice when I got her and she had raw patches from itching.

Also my vet has told me lice is not common in healthy horses. My girl was starved, so not surprising she had them.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    Sounds like normal dry-skin/end-of-winter/no-baths-in-a-while scurf to me. I am a grooming fiend, I curry and curry and then use a mitt and then a dandy (scraping the dandy clean every quarter of the horse), etc etc. I am familiar with scurf.

Yanno what helps? A bath. And a vacuum. Mostly the vacuum.
    Yep! Dirty, scurfy, dandruffy post-winter sans bathing normal horse.

If you can't bathe yet (still too cold), then a damp sponge or towel really helps to lift off what is on the hair and give you a better idea of what you're looking at. I find that without a bath or a vacuum, your brushes simply can't get off the finer dander/dust/dirt accumulation from the winter. But a vigorous grooming with a damp rag/towel makes an amazing difference.

If, after you do that, you still see a lot of dander/flaking, then I'd consider a feed supplement (oil), and/or coat conditioner. But I'll bet it's scurfy winter dirt/dander and nothing else.

My horse has this right now, too. Months living in his blankets and sadly, not enough grooming time in the last few weeks due to exams.

I curried the bejeesus out of him the other day and honestly, he looked worse than he did before but that's good! The curry brought all the dead skin, dirt, dead hair, and grossness from the bottom up. By the end, his quarters looked gray and not chestnut. A firm dandy brush got most of the loose stuff off.

I sprayed some miracle groom on a towel and then rubbed his quarters, getting all the way down to the skin. His skin and coat looked way better afterwards. It's too cold to bathe right now, but I found the hard currying (even though it will look worse before it looks better) and a towel-rub works magic. Especially up here after 9 months of a dry winter.

My horse is also on a cup of flax a day and his skin overall looks good (especially the unblanketed areas, like his neck) but the rest of him needs a little help.

I've found that when they been out having a good time rolling the only cure for the endless dust is a bath. Rubbing down with a damp clothe also helps. Sometimes it's just normal dust. They think it's great!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.