The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Weasle

We live in the PNW - yesterday I the sun I saw, for the first time ever, a little weasel in my barn. A beautiful little thing - very tiny, so I assume it is a least weasel from looking on the web. It was chestnut brown, white spot on its chest, bright eyes, rounded ears and a pointy nose. It ignored the horses and I stayed still while he wandered around the water tub, etc., and then popped back down the grate to the drain.

I don't want to do him any harm and indeed think he may do some good around any rodent population that might be out there. Any reason to discourage him? If so, how???
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

1 members found this post helpful.

I would not -- I'd LOVE to see weasels around, sadly, they don't live in my area. Voracious little predators, they will gobble up rodents for you just like a good rat snake, only faster. Plus they are fascinating little animals to watch when you get the chance.

We have them here. One found its way into our box trap for mice and had it rattling and jumping down the aisle...I thought it was possessed! SO took it outside to open and was surprised to find weasel. It had been dining on the mice in the trap and seemed annoyed at the interruption!

I don't see any reason to worry about it, but maybe others will have a different view. They eat mice, so I like that, and we haven't had any problems with them. They are cute and entertaining to watch. They will take baby bunnies (we've watched it happen) which is sad, but there are a ton of rabbits here so it just is the way the food chain works. I suppose if you have chickens, that might be a problem as they might steal eggs.

Well, thanks for those replies. He sure is tiny. The grill he ran into is about
    1" x 1-/2". He must have been all hair. As long as they don't reproduce into a plague of them, I'm delighted to have this little visitor. He was quite calm around the horses. He reminded me of a micro version of our little dashie dog in colour and length.

Weasels are incredibly effective at killing mice and snakes. Also, they are solitary animals so if you have one, ONE is all you are going to have. If you have chickens it will eat your eggs and, possibly, your chickens.

They are very interesting animals and as long as you have no poultry, enjoy its company.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Unless you have poultry, weasels are wonderful little critters to have around. One of the most efficient wildlife rodent killers around. They're bloodthirsty little devils, & will frequently kill more than they can eat if they find a good cache - thus them being unwelcome in poultry operations. But as far as rodents go? Welcome them with open arms.

No chickens here these days. I hope he stays around - he's so unbelievably cute! I had hoped there would be no dire stories about them.

Great, now I want to drive to Canada and hug your weasel. Aaaand, that sounds really wrong, ROFL.

2 members found this post helpful.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Jealous!!! All I have is a pack rat in my barn. Thank god pack rats are solitary too. We are eliminating all possible pack rat nesting sites....want to loan me your weasel?

If you can keep him/her around, I'd do all I could to make that happen. When I was a kid, one took a full size hen from our coop--amazing! I also had one run into a riding arena while we were jumping. He stopped and stared at us like we needed to move so he could get through. Cheeky little devils.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I have absolutely no idea where he came from - been here 35 years and never seen one before. There are chickens a few properties away, but they have not lost any eggs.

Now, of course, I'm worried sick he will eat a dead rat - we put poison out about a month ago....

Do they eat carrion? Can I put the odd wiener or T-bone out for him?!

I'm so excited!!!

I'm not up on my mustelid biology but I'm sure he wouldn't say no to a T-bone; can I have one??

Maybe somebody released him and he showed up at your place?

I am SO jealous you have a weasel. I want one. What a nice little animal to have doing deeds for you and your farm.

I wonder if he is tame? Or is he a she? Maybe she is going to have babies? Oh wow.

Foxtrot you just stop that excitement, I am very wicked jealous.

Put the rat food away. You have a more deadly assailant.

We live on a very rural street with properties quite far apart, doubt he was an escapee or released - they are not pets here (ferrets, yes, not weasles).
    The poison was taken ages ago, but the body must be somewhere...

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

AFAIK, weasels are not carrion eaters (or so says Google). Since they are such fearsome predators, I doubt they have to resort to that. I also am fairly sure they do not make good pets, so that's unlikely. They are curious little creatures and solitary, so maybe this one is simply looking for a new territory and your barn is looking good?
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Congrats on having a Weasel, they are supposed to be a sign of a fairly healthy living area! Sensitive to pollutants, etc. He should keep your barn cleaned of rodents, they have a high metabolism and eat often. I always thought they preferred fresh meat, not carrion.

If you have any mother cats, she might kill it. Weasels are tough fighters, but my nursing mother cat found a nest of them and killed them for her kittens. I found one each day for 5 days, beside the door. Have to say we looked at the cat with new respect after that! And so far as I know, we have never had another weasel on the place since then.

They are extremely cute, but don't forget they ARE rather vicious, will bite at everything if they feel threatened. He is NOT your friendly pet, EVER.

Hopefully he will stay out of your car! I had one take up residence in my engine over Thanksgiving last year. Couldn't figure out why my dogs and my friend's dogs kept sniffing around the front of my car. Finally popped the hood one night armed with a flashlight figuring I'd find a mouse nest like the previous year. Nope, it was a "kitty" curled up in the corner. Until I reached out to pet it and it ran across my engine and dove down inside. It destroyed my air filter and cabin filter but at least left the wiring alone. Haven't seen it since that night. Guess my screaming scared him off.
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

I feel so special that he chose us!!