The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Amateur Rule

Hey all can someone explain the new Amateur Rule?? Its kinda comfusing!
    Last edited by Deardra75; Apr. 29, 2013 at 04:57 PM.

Don't know about the new rule but an example of amateur being married to a BN pro would be Danielle Torano; I also know of a woman locally who's shown in the amateurs and her husband is a pro rider/trainer. She pretty much can't do anything but ride their own horses, even if she was showing in the adults. Problem is if she is "working" clients horses only at home that could be tough thing to prove.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

As said above, ammies married to pros is nothing new, and is allowed. And most of the ones I have known are very careful about only riding their own horses, at home or at shows (and they generally have horses I would kill to ride, so there is that... )
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

1 members found this post helpful.

You said she rides all the horses is this client horses and her personal horses or just her personal horses?

Quote Originally Posted by Deardra75 View Post
    When I was at the show with them she showed all the horses... now this is Arabians. so I am not sure how the Amateur rules are. they run things so much different from us h/j people. either way i am staying clear of them.
    If it was a rated Arabian show then it is governed by USEF and has the same rules of h/j shows.

You said she showed all the horses at the last show they were at do you know if they all belong to her?

Okay but is it a horse that is in training with her husband or just a horse she rode? An amateur is allowed to ride horses that are not owned by themselves. It comes down to if the horse is in training with the husband. Do you have proof of that or is it just another horse she rode.

Deardra75 is offline Training Level
    Original Poster

That I don't know. it could have been a typo..
    Last edited by Deardra75; Apr. 29, 2013 at 04:53 PM.

That I don't know. for all I know she just rode the horse.
    Oh is there a particular reason you thought she was riding horses in training with the husband? That is what matters and where there would be an issue. The USEF rules are quite clear on that.

what is an ATR class ? Amateurs are not restricted to ride in only amateur classes, since this was an open class - no violation there but is the ATR class an amateur class? Could it be that she is going pro and it's not documented yet?

Quote Originally Posted by gottagrey View Post
    what is an ATR class ? Amateurs are not restricted to ride in only amateur classes, since this was an open class - no violation there but is the ATR class an amateur class? Could it be that she is going pro and it's not documented yet?
    I believe it stands for amateur to ride that only amateurs can ride in with open classes being both for professionals and amateurs.

ATR means amateur to ride.

Generally, an amateur can ride horses they own and horses they don't own. What an amateur can't do is ride (in a show or at home) a horse that their spouse makes money from (i.e. trains, coaches, gives lessons on, etc.).

2 members found this post helpful.

If you are the immediate family of a profesional,(child,spouse, grandma,) and want to maintain your amateur status, the only horses you can ride/train/show, etc are ones owned by you or your family. Any other horse that is in the family's pro barn is considered a money earner for that pro be it in training or just boarded. If the ammy wants to ride a horse that is not theirs and it is at another trainers barn then that is ok. Doesn't matter if you want to show open or amateur, no can do!

1 members found this post helpful.

Original Poster

Thanks Copper!
    Last edited by Deardra75; Apr. 29, 2013 at 04:48 PM.

Thanks Copper! Yes the same person wanted me to board at their farm.. and then I got an nasty email from them... I was like hummm you approached me on boarding.... not the other way around.. I think they figured out they can't do that and have her still be an amateur.
    I'm confused.. Why couldn't they have you as a boarder and her still be an amateur? Was she going to ride your horse?

You say they sent you a nasty email did something happen between when you discussed board with them and the night they emailed you? Seems strange that they would send you a nasty email randomly.

They absolutely can have you as a boarder, even if her spouse was not a pro/trainer. Ammies can own/operate a boarding business, they (the ammy) just can't ride the boarder's horses or train the riders/horses in any way. Feed, care and board? Not an issue.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Original Poster

problem solved on this post.. please don't post anymore. I have been in contact with the moderator and they will be closing down this thread.
    Last edited by Deardra75; Apr. 29, 2013 at 04:55 PM.

Thanks Copper! Yes the same person wanted me to board at their farm.. and then I got an nasty email from them... I was like hummm you approached me on boarding.... not the other way around.. I think they figured out they can't do that and have her still be an amateur.

interesting because here is the facebook message that was sent to you:
    I hope the show went well. B looked great.

It was brought to my attention you have some lingering concerns about our facility: the stall size, pasturing and the reality of (my husbands name) and I working full time jobs keeping up from being at the farm 24/7.
    That being said, we discussed our farm history with us just having training horse and opting out of boarding to the public. It seems as though we may not be able to care for your horse in the manner you see fit. Therefore we have decided to keep our farm private and only accepting clients for him to train. This is a tedious task as he and I both work full time and maintain a successful show string. There are many barns around that may help meet your accommodations. Good luck on your endeavors with D and B.

So that was a nasty email? Interesting....I thought it was rather nice considering you spoke about your issues with our farm with a friend of ours that groomed for you at a show. My hubby contacted the groom after you email him to find someone bc you needed help. She has been a friend for MANY years. She was concerned you may not be happy and rightfully told us.

I sent you the email in an effort to be nice and courteous as not to waste anyone's time. We both have full time jobs and my hubby is in pharmacy school. However, this must have upset you and turned into a different direction.

I do remember you telling me at the show you were interested in moving barns and wanted to look at our farm. We did not and do not seek out boarders.

I find it rather rude to start questioning my ammy status. I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL nor have I ever wanted to be. Yes, I am married to a pro. I own all of my horses purchased with my money. I get NO money for anything. I can not help that I married someone who was a pro before I married him. It is our farm.... as couples share their property.

I would have gladly welcomed your questions about my ammy status. It is better to speak with me directly than go about on the internet crusade. I am rather disappointed in your behavior. We have nothing to hide at our farm. He can train and board all he wants...should he choose to. The money is paid directly him. I want nothing to do with it.

Please contact me directly to discuss this as I do not believe it is appropriate to do this behind a computer screen.

Do know, I have copied and printed this thread for future reference.
    Look forward to speaking with you!

2 members found this post helpful.

I got the email when I got home.. the thing is they refered me to a girl that use to groom for them.. she helped me for one day at the show. and I got the email the same night I got home. and apperantly she called them and told them I had questions about the farm, which I already asked... and well thats how that started and I guess the owners took it the wrong way..... either way I am not boarding there.
    Is there a reason you questioned the friend?

Small world the horse world is.

Now we have both sides.

I got the email when I got home.. the thing is they refered me to a girl that use to groom for them.. she helped me for one day at the show. and I got the email the same night I got home. and apperantly she called them and told them I had questions about the farm, which I already asked... and well thats how that started and I guess the owners took it the wrong way..... either way I am not boarding there.

I guess it is a good thing the affected party showed up (always a nice touch on Monday morning, go tto admit!), because this ^? Clear as mud. But not quite.