The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I grew up in NC, so here is my opinion:

NC is a beautiful place. Contrary to what one poster said, NC DOES have alligators - they are called "Carolina Yard Dogs" and if you go to any of the SE coastal areas, you will see them in the wild - this is not new or uncommon. In fact, while I lived in Wilmington, I saw quite a few of them. Bald Head Island has them all over the place.

The summers are a bitch unless you live near the beach where you may or may not catch a breeze - however, that could be said for any of the places I have lived up and down the east coast! Winters are mild in the piedmont as well as the coast. Folks in the western part see snow much more than other areas, but where I grew up in the RTP, we had black ice a lot - and it's sneaky!

There are many barns and show venues. There are a lot of well-known trainers in NC, as well as good "unknown" trainers. Of course, there is always the ones you would want to steer clear of!

In general, I think it's a great place. I love NC, though I cannot see myself moving back unless I have the resources to move back to Wilmington. Durham, where I grew up, is a really cool place, and I visit often, but I prefer living in Baltimore to living in Durham.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

As many others have pointed out, specificity would help a little as the states and regions are so vastly different. The Outer Banks of North Carolina is not a great place for horses. Property is scarce, prices are high and you have to trailer hours to get anywhere.

I live in the upstate of SC. Travelers Rest specifically. I'm 30 mins from Tryon, Landrum and Campobello. All amazing horse towns! I'm also within driving distance of Pendleton, Aiken, and the Georgia International Horse park. A lot of bigger shows are a short drive away. We haven't had snow here in 3 years and the coldest winter I can remember was maybe 20 degrees? I thought I would freeze to death ha ha. In fact it was in the 60's a few days this past February. The summers are HOT! Last year was 110. Like another poster said you really have to get up before the sun to get much heavy riding in. There are poisonous bugs, plants and snakes but no alligators this far inland. (Plenty along the coast and in swampy areas)

I get good fescue and bermuda for $5 a bale and a coastal/alfalfa mix for $10. My farrier (amazing husband/wife team) charges $20 a trim and go up quite a bit for shoes (can inquire if anyone would like to know). As my horses aren't working hard right now I haven't had a need for shoes. I've seen boarding start at $250 and go up depending on the amenities and trainers available. I love my vet and will probably cry when he retires. I'm also only about a 45 minute drive from Tryon Equine Hospital if the worst were to happen. I, personally, love my little town and the close proximity it is to so much. The people are mostly friendly and helpful and the prices are affordable. (Gas is $3.19) Greenville has really blossomed over the years as has downtown Travelers Rest. The swamp rabbit trail extends from TR to Greenville for those who like to run or bike and there are many many hiking trails through the mountains for those avid hikers. I've yet to find a town in the US that I like more.

I know nothing about north Carolina, except for having audited a clinic in Tryon last year. While I have to say coastal south Carolina is where I want to live (despite the limited horse options), and don't see myself as a mountains/foothills person (gimme water, big water, and I feel at home and calmer), Tryon was wonderful. Enchanting! We were there just before the leaves changed last fall and it was so nice. I won't admit it to Mrb (because I REALLY want water and low country), but the only place he might convince me to settle in away from the coast is Tryon.
    Then again, I don't know what I'd do without our north Georgia humidity. I couldn't bear it when I moved here from Northern va, but now I love it. I should check myself for gills; I think I'm morphing into a fish the longer I live down here.
    Give me liquid air and blazing heat.... Just no snow and ice please.
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

I'm curious about this $9 orchard hay in east Raleigh!? Is it shipped in from the north? How big are these bales? Does your supplier have any to spare?

Jones brothers feed in Bunn.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I am in Charleston and I pay $8 a bale for orchard, $10 a bale for straight Alfalfa and $9 a bale for amazing orchard/alfalfa. We also use coastal to throw out in the pastures and it is $6.50 a bale..
    Fullcirclefarmsc.com

I'm moving to the north Charlotte (Huntersville/Concord) area in about a year, and need to find a place to board my 15 year old QH gelding. He's an easy keeper and we ride both English and Western. I would prefer to keep him in a stall, but would also consider pasture board with a run-in shelter. Does anyone have any suggestions?

There are numerous micro-climates in the mountainous area of the NC/SC border. One example is Highlands, NC, where the population can explode by a factor of ten or more during the summer months.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

All I can say is that i can't get back there fast enough! Love my horsey friends there and the turn out is fabulous!
    www.ctannerjensen.com
    http://ctannerjensen.blogspot.com/
    Equine Art capturing the essence of the grace,strength, and beauty of the Sport Horse."

It's SO humid today! I'm in New Bern on the coast of NC and it was 80 degrees and 81% humidity when I rode earlier today.

Carolina really is so great for horses. Every time I think about another state, I think about everything that would come with it; lower quality pasture, not-year-round-pasture, $$$$ hay, more blanketing, less riding time, needing an indoor for winter (I would really love an indoor but they aren't around here...we just get SO much rain in the summer months and then I'm a baby when it's below 50 in the winter), not being able to have 24/7 turnout.

we have POSSUMS and if i see one on the road, I'm hitting it. We have mosquitoes, for which I have Absorbine UltraShield EX. We have gators in the creeks but I haven't seen one in person my whole life. I've seen a copperhead down by the creek coiling up to get me when I was 11 but that's it for bad snakes.

Now I just wanna move to one of those horsey 'hoods in Aiken.
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

I agree with your post except for:
    Quote Originally Posted by cottonXCblondie View Post
    we have POSSUMS and if i see one on the road, I'm hitting it.
    Don't be doing that!

All kinds of critters can be carriers of EPM. Racoons, for example. Even kittehs. You're not gunning for Sylvester or Morris, are you?

You know, possums are the only North American marsupial. That makes them kind of special, no?

1 members found this post helpful.

Poor possums. And thanks for sticking up for them PM! You are 100% correct in that EPM has multiple vectors, including barn cats.

I'm also pretty sure not every opossum out there on the road makes a beeline for your property...just sayin'. We're all protective of our horsehs, and you have every right to be, but all things in moderation. If possum is using your haypile as her own portapotty, well, then removal is probably is order. Crossing the street to get a drink (which they do oh so poorly and slowly, sigh) - not really very threatening.

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    Poor possums. And thanks for sticking up for them PM! You are 100% correct in that EPM has multiple vectors, including barn cats.
    I kind of have to take up for them. My cousin's a possum rehabber. Here's a link to the website for her organization. That's her pic of a couple of her babies. Cute little rascals.

I've only ever hit one...by accident 6 years ago, but I had set out with a plan if I ever crossed another. I so rarely see them. I didn't know that EPM was carried by more animals, I'd only ever read that possums carried it. My friend's horse at my barn had it last year and she talked constantly about hitting them.
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

Quote Originally Posted by cottonXCblondie View Post
    I didn't know that EPM was carried by more animals, I'd only ever read that possums carried it.
    I didn't know either, until my cousin fixed me with a steely gaze one day and said "You're not one of those horse people with a vendetta against possums, are you?" From the look on her face, I figured the right answer was "Why, no."

That's when I found out EPM has multiple vectors, and that the vast majority of horses exposed to the protozoa don't become symptomatic.

Which is a good thing for me. Living on the outskirts of East Jesus, Middle of Nowhere, I'd never be able to keep all the possible carriers out of my pasture.

I just attended the funeral and graveside service for the mother of one of the girls who works in my office building. It's twenty miles between the funeral home and the cemetery, most of it on a four lane highway.

Every single vehicle on both sides of the road pulled over to the side and waited for the funeral procession to pass. Even the school bus.

Stuff like that makes me proud to live here.