The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Showing Emergency

Sooo...haven't been to a horse show in forever. Taking my girl to do her first cross rail class tomorrow. And disaster.

Dug out my old faithful field boots. I had put them away because I actually preferred to ride in them daily but wanted to save them. Started to clean them up and the soles are literally crumbling and splitting.

Thinking...ok...no biggy. I dug out my backups. Which. Had planned on breaking in this summer....but haven't left the box. They're like wearing a stove pipe. I couldn't even feel my foot in the stirrup today. On a baby horse that just won't work!

Plan of attack?
    School in my brown paddocks and half chaps and attack my old faithfuls with black electrical tape to try to make it through the day?
    Or suck it up and try to ride with the boots from hell?

Not a rated show but they want FULL showing attire. (Which I find annoying but I figured it was good practice)

How bad are your old faithfuls? They can't make it through a class or two? I'd school in the paddocks, put the old faithfuls on JUST to show, and then take them off. And get them resoled later. GOOD LUCK!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

6 members found this post helpful.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I'd buy Gorilla Tape (much better than "duct tape") and "re sole" the old faithfuls and ride in the those. you want the most comfortable and familiar footwear when showing. Good luck!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

1 members found this post helpful.

You're taking a green horse to do a cross rail class - are you interested in getting any ribbons really? Of course we want some kind of acknowledgement knowing we did well but..I think in this case I would go w/ safe attire versus splitting boots and uncomfortable boots. I would mention your boot situation when you check in, and ask them if showing in 1/2 chaps and paddocks is OK; the other option is to just show in your paddock boots - while not common it is allowed. In the meantime get some lexol leather conditioner or if you can track down that Vogel leather conditioner and use on the Inside of your new boots. I would not duct tape your crumbling soles - not worth it.

4 members found this post helpful.

Just FYI: I'm not sure if it's the same in your area but in our local shows, especially at that level, it's not unheard of to using paddock boots and 1/2 chaps so long as they are the same color. Heck once upon a time you'd see people in chaps showing at that level. Granted most of them were eventing trainers looking just to get the horse out. I'm not sure if you'd see this now though.

I had never been to one if these shows and it's been a long time since I've actually shown. I just didn't want to look like a complete fool.

My green bean did fantastic and I got another ride out of my old faithfuls. I'm going to take them to get an estimate on repairs but I'm also not ruling out new ones. Just needed to make it through today and did.

2 members found this post helpful.

Yeah and congratulations.. on the plus side at least you knew you had an issue with the boots going int to the show so you could plan for it= some people have had the zippers bust out during a class..

1 members found this post helpful.

With the new boots you could try bath tubbing them to speed the breaking in process.. Congrats on your green bean doing great!

Great job on a good show no matter what you were wearing! Now you have time to figure out what to do for your next show. Try breaking in the new boots.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

I'm going to work on the new back ups I currently have but lord the bruises I have from those things! I barely got in my old ones because my ankles where still so swollen from my attempt at wearing them!

Well, maybe it's a good excuse for a new pair.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde