The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have an American Bulldog, Boxer mix, and a 25lb mutt. I also have a cat. Mr Cat hates older dogs because they get excited and chase him so I've always adopted puppies. My Am Bulldog was 6mo when I got him and so he was pretty easy to potty train, just the right age. Maybe some food for thought if you are worried about the cats. Definitely be wary when looking at hunting/herding breeds because sometimes their natural instincts around cats just kick in and can cause problems. Not saying those breeds can't work with cats, but if rescuing or bringing in a privately adopted animal that is older you might have some issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Nootka View Post
    I have an older Rhodie that I am 2 busy to give proper attention. Fine with cats and already house broken (8yrs old)
    Oh man!!! I wish we were closer so I could see what Stella would think of a Rhodie friend to live with!!! I LOVE Rhodies (my last dog was a Rhodie/lab cross....awesome, awesome dog!) and would love another. Sad...THAT would be a dog that I would seriously consider breaking my "one dog only" policy!

OP, totally appreciate your honesty about not getting a pitty. I love pitties, but they are so not for everyone (bowling balls with a tongue) and wish more people understood how high energy and POWERFUL they are. Everyone I know is super-duper sweet, but, man, when they get wound up they are bulldozers!

Keep looking. The right one will come. Stella totally just HAPPENED. I went looking at a Petsmart rescue day, just to see what there was and see if some puppy love, even for a few minutes, would ease my broken heart of losing my Rhodie girl. And then I met Stella. The rest is history.

1 members found this post helpful.

This guy is probably way to far away but I had to post him as I thought you might be interested: http://lascruces.en.craigslist.org/zip/3774314157.html

Where are you in FL? I got my JRT/Beagle/??? mix from a shelter in Boynton Beach (in the SE, by West Palm). They have a bunch of other great dogs that need homes, and very few of them are pitts or pitt mixes.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Gosh, I have the exact opposite problem. I am not in the market for another dog at this moment, as I live with my 92 year old mom who has Alzheimer's, and her little Gatsby is king of the house! She is convinced he would be put out with another dog present, when the exact opposite is true. But I digress....

Our local paper has weekly pictures and profiles of some of the animals in their shelters and, invariably, I want them all. We have a local shelter, Lollypop Farm, that has an excellent facility and website. Again, quite a variety of animals to choose from.

As others have stated, many of the rescues/shelters all over the country work with Petfinders and similar websites. There is at least one active group that gets dogs out of high kill shelters, fosters them, rehabs as necessary and then creates their bio with good pictures. They then make regular trips throughout the Northeast delivering the dogs that have been adopted by approved families. It's pretty nifty.

I will be surprised if you follow up on some of these suggestions and come up empty because, IMO, there's a ton of desirable dogs who will fill the bill for you.

Good luck!

Thanks again for all the supportive replies! After much, much, much soul searching, I have come to the conclusion that I have to have another Weim. That said, I have filled out an application with a state wide rescue, have been contacted by a local volunteer who is, even as we "speak" searching for a cat friendly dog for me. Yay! In the meantime, my orange maine coonish cat has decided to play the "dog" when I go to bed. We have to snuggle for at least 10 minutes, as in his head under my chin. laid out, purring like mad.
    And nothing bad happened!

3 members found this post helpful.

That's great news, I hope they find one for you!

I totally understand the frustration of trying to find a dog to adopt. Our shelter is also nearly all Pits, with a few Hounds and Labs thrown in for good measure. You would think there are tons of homeless dogs out there, so it would be easy to find what you are looking for. It really isn't always true.

We just adopted our first little dog three weeks ago, and it was hard as all get out to find him. I originally wanted a Papillon, but most of the ones in this area are scooped up by breed rescue within a few days. Said breed rescues were not interested in adopting to us, because we have "big dogs" (2 vicious, horrible, little-dog-eating Border Collies ). We looked for months, even considered driving across the country to see some, and had one failed 5 hour drive to a rescue (the rescue doesn't "hold" dogs, so he was adopted literally five minutes before we got there). Finally, we were accidentally connected with the wrong foster mom when we inquired about a dog on Petfinder, but it was fate, because Tyrion was our dog. He's an Italian Greyhound/Chi, and I'm not a Chi person, but we absolutely fell for this boy. It was a long road to find him though.

Also, LOVE the Main Coons. Our "coonish" cat does that too, and I adore it.

Nothing from the rescue yet, but here's an interesting thing. I found an ad for a 2 year old Weim in my town on an ad website. Contacted the owner. I was deemed unacceptable to adopt this dog because I work all day and she would be home, possibly/probably crated until she and cats work out the pecking order. Ad for 2 year old Weim shows up on my local CL - I answer. Same lady, same issue. Then she emails me about somebody who came to see the dog, but almost kicked their other dog when it jumped up (JRT). Now, the same dog is back on CL looking for a home. Is this fate????? Do I need to try again? While it's wonderful for our dogs to have an in home companion all day, the reality is different. I turn to the wisdom of COTH!

Quote Originally Posted by Riley0522 View Post
    I own a home and have all 3 of my Pits insured under Liberty Mutual with no added premium. Their only requirement was that I have a fence completely enclosing my backyard.
    I have State Farm and they don't have any breed prejudice at all. I don't even think they care that I have dogs period.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

If she's emailing you, it seems like she might be softening. I wouldn't want to rehome a dog into a situation where she'd be crated for 8+ hours while the new owner worked, so I see her point - she might be fearful the "temporarily" will turn into permanent. Some people do crate all day.

2 members found this post helpful.

I would let the lady know you are very interested, let her make her own decision. I suspect she will probably relent. It sounds like she is getting desperate! Can you hire a dog walker a few times a week? I'm guessing you probably wouldn't have time to get home at lunch (most people can't) but if you hired a dog walker 3X a week at least it isn't ALL day in a crate. I have my mom's pug in the summer and of course she can't stay outside in FL while I'm at work and she can get in anywhere the cats can and she has a definite addiction to cat poo (as do the ones who CAN stay outside while I'm gone). SO she has to stay in a crate which is HUGE for a little pug, it is the great dane size so she has plenty of room. I'd prefer to leave her loose but what the heck, all she does (besides eat poo) is SLEEP. So she can do that in the crate as well as outside it. But most days I am not gone more than 7 or 8 hours. But anyway, after all that digression having a dog walker come in 2 or 3 X a week might convince her you'd be an OK home.

Otherwise don't worry, one will come along. I'm all for rescuing too, I encourage it whenever possible BUT if you are living in the south and some cities your choices at most shelters will be pit bulls (of many types and varieties/breeds), lab mixes and the ever popular lab/pit bull mix! Along with a few hounds in some areas. We are talking 80-90% pit types. Others do come along of course but unless you are RIGHT there, they are quickly snapped up. I actually love good pits, I love bully breeds but at this point in my life and with as many cats and other creatures around they just don't fit in here and I'm too crippled up to handle a very strong dog now. Same thing with huskies, GSDs, collies, basically anything big and hairy! I got a puggle to keep my schip company when his "harem" (all spayed) died off from age and he went into a deep depression (I've never seen that so profound in a dog before!). Once she settled in she turned out to be the OPPOSITE of what I thought I was getting and what I had researched. I should have just waited as a couple of months later 2 older schips came up after being returned to their breeder. But my budget will only allow (and just barely) for 2 dogs on Trifexis! Not 4.

LOL, another long digression. Wait and get what you want, you have to live with it and there are always going to be weimers somewhere that need a new home. Or you may end up with a dog dropping in your lap you could fall in love with that isn't even on your breed/size/color radar! Good luck!
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Quote Originally Posted by jaslyn1701 View Post
    Thanks again for all the supportive replies! After much, much, much soul searching, I have come to the conclusion that I have to have another Weim. That said, I have filled out an application with a state wide rescue, have been contacted by a local volunteer who is, even as we "speak" searching for a cat friendly dog for me. Yay! In the meantime, my orange maine coonish cat has decided to play the "dog" when I go to bed. We have to snuggle for at least 10 minutes, as in his head under my chin. laid out, purring like mad.
    My kitty is also an orange Maine Coon mix. What a ham. Got him from a shelter, and he picked me. Was looking for long haired, yellow - went to see another advertised, who attacked me and bit through my hand. Asked if there were other, they brought me into another room, and Ricky almost literally jumped on my shoulder, and wouldn't be removed.

Took him a year to give up his 'dog' role as well. He finally allowed the Irish Wolfhound to claim the title, although wouldn't talk to her for a year either.

Good luck finding your next dog. Agree to keep up communication with the lady Weim owner. Just add in the other stuff you'll be doing with him. May very well be more than they are doing in the first place. Certainly sounds as if she's softening!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    \

OP, totally appreciate your honesty about not getting a pitty. I love pitties, but they are so not for everyone (bowling balls with a tongue) and wish more people understood how high energy and POWERFUL they are. Everyone I know is super-duper sweet, but, man, when they get wound up they are bulldozers!
    Oh, lord, and when they're puppies...neighbor Corgi puppy is bad enough, but when she brings her pittie puppy friend with her...my dogs just sit back and laugh as I try to garden with two ALL ENERGY ALL THE TIME puppies directly underfoot. Really funny was when she got hold of Puff's leash under the impression it's a tug toy and manged to walk him! Puppy pit bulls are like boxers on speed.

Our local humane society puts dogs and cats at petsmart for adoption, for cats/dogs at least you know thier rescues and not from mills
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!

Well, the Weim ad was still on my local CL, so I answered and included my phone number. LOL - my phone rang in about 10 seconds. Turns out this is a very nice lady who only wants the best for a dog that she rescued (can't blame her one bit on that!). Bell is almost 2, gets along with cats - in fact the nice lady sent me a pic of Bell on the bed with the snoozed out cat! Turns out, the owner is also a horse person, so we had lots to talk about. We talked about the crate issue - not an issue any more. Bottom line - I go to meet Ms. Bell tomorrow to see if she likes me. The lady is rehoming her because she does not get along with her elderly JRT - not constant, but they are not buds. How cool is this - a weim that likes cats right here in my own home town!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I hope the right dog has found you! GL for tomorrow!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by CrowneDragon View Post
    I have State Farm and they don't have any breed prejudice at all. I don't even think they care that I have dogs period.
    ANPAC (American National Property And Casualty Company) is one to stay away from if you have dogs. I believe Travellers as well. I have Allstate and they didn't seem to care about dogs.

Well guys - Belle is now checking out the inside of my house. The Queen Feline of the Universe is being pretty chill - they sniffed noses - no hissing. The Chicken Charlie, on the other hand is the one spitting and hissing and already smacked Belle on the nose. I am happy to report that Belle just backed up.

I fully expected some barking from Belle when I first met her, considering what I had been told about her reaction to other potential adopters. Nope - she was outside, came in, stuck her head in my crotch (yay - not) and jumped up on me (another yay - not) as if to say "Where the hell have you been???????"

Will post pics when I figure out how! She's a little on the flabby side - needs muscling, but cute as can be! Woot!

2 members found this post helpful.

I am looking for a cat-friendly dog, too. I haven't had a dog in six years. My old dog was so special, it's taken me a while to think of replacing her.

She was what I called a Florida Cracker Dog - just a roadside dog from central Florida. You see a lot of them in the southeast - a medium size, medium hair, yellow, pointed ears. In the Carolinas, they're called Carolina dogs They are registered as a breed with the AKC so you can find similar looking ones in Petfinder. I'm thinking of making a road trip to find one.

Good luck with your quest!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Awww! You have a Belle too! Mine's not a Weim, but YAY! CONGRATS!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey