The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Please indulge me while I rant and whine!

I am currently dogless and looking to rectify that situation. Simple, you say. Adopt a rescue dog. I would love to! But, for me pits are a deal breaker - just not my breed. So that lets out the majority of the dog at the local City rescue. You can call me a breed snob if you want, it's not that, it's just that with certain breeds I know what I am getting and what to expect. Or, if I do see one I would love to adopt, it's gone (good thing for the dog) before I can get to the phone.

Then there is CL. Lots and lots of dogs there. I emailed back and forth with two different people about Weimaraners that needed new homes. Perfect - my last 3 dogs were Weims - love them, know them, would love to have another! I'm sorry, you want a $400 "rehoming" fee???????? The other one deemed me unacceptable because the dog would probably be in a crate while I was at work (that's how we buy dog food) until she could be trusted not to eat my cats. She informed me that "they" hire a pet sitter whenever they are going to be gone more than four hours. That's wonderful that you can do that - most of us can't. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying something to someone looking to rehome a dog, but if it's over $100 I would much prefer my money to go to a recognized rescue, not somebody looking to profit from a mistake or a change in circumstances.

Then there was the English Setter/Pointer cross - beautiful dog, perfect for me! Sent an email and got a totally snarky response that the dog had been adopted a month ago. Take your ad down!!!

I'm really not that picky - all I want is a companion dog that will not eat my cats. I prefer larger dogs, but that's just me.

Ok, rant/whine over. Thanks!
    And nothing bad happened!

No other breeds in the shelter? They are all pitties? (I have a pit and poodle...the cat MUCh prefers the pitty, but I understand they arent for everyone!)

Shelters around here are usually home to many mixed breed dogs. I'd take a walk through and take the ones that tickle your fancy out for a walk. You never know which kind you will fall for!!

are there other shelters within reasonable driving distance?

or if you really want a Weim, contact Weim Rescue?

In some areas, particularly urban ones, a staggering percentage of dogs over 10lbs in shelters are pit bulls. It's horrifying - both for the pit bulls who are being created and killed in droves, and for the rest of us, since they're not a breed for most homes. So I can understand the frustration. I'd go about it the opposite way - instead of looking for a dog and then struggling with the shelter/rescue/individual, identify a good shelter or rescue, explain what you're looking for, and ask if they can let you know when a similar dog comes in. That's what I did with my second dog; I filled out an application before even finding a likely prospect and left it on file. I came back a few weeks later, there was a dog that matched the description, and I got her in part because I'd established a history with the shelter. I know the internet makes it tempting to shop for a dog rather than a group, but there are a lot of horror stories out there about people who "rescue" a dog from a lousy group or person. Undisclosed diseases, overlooked behaviors, lifelong adoption contracts...

Good luck!

6 members found this post helpful.

Have you tried word of mouth? If you haven't, talk to vets, groomers and trainers in your area. They may know dogs that need to find a new home.

1 members found this post helpful.

I bet if you put up a WANTED notice on a few local bulletin boards (including the various vets) you'd get a boat load of calls from folks who desparately want to place their dogs but don't want to take them to a shelter. You can specify NO PITS SORRY! and whatever else you deem important to you (Cat FRIENDLY).
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Thanks for the responses! I am on a "list" with several vets and some breed rescues and I have stressed the cat friendly part. I guess I am just frustrated - all three of my Weims fell into my lap, so so to speak. And I feel so very sorry for all the pits and pit crosses out there, and yet, people still continue to breed them. We all know where the majority end up.

LOL - my first Weim was one in a million, got her at 2. She walked my house, looked around and said "got it". She met the cats - these are yours? Ok, they are now part of my pack. As long at it was in the house, part of the pack. I raised a baby squirrel in the house with that dog. Squirrel used her as a tree.

The last 2 were kind of unknown when it comes to cats (rescues) - so I "built" a cat zoo. I have a closed in front porch on my house, has a/c and heat. So, I used vinyl lattice and made a door and a window cover (given the closed in porch, the original door and window are just openings). Worked fine. Dog loose in the house during the day, cats safe. Don't mind doing that again if necessary. After a while, everyone got along fine.

My dog will come!

You can do a search for a dog through petharbor.com, the website that the shelters use. If you do one for, say, weimaraners and weim mixes, you can ask to receive notification when such a dog comes into the shelter. I found a dog using that system that came into our local county shelter. I also like large dogs and pitties don't work for me, and they are the majority of dogs in the shelter around here, too.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

I know this was more than a rant then a plea for help so I'm not going to suggest breed rescues or anything else since I am sure you have already looked into that. The right dog will come but I am sure it is extremely frustrating to be a qualified home yet you can't find a dog to help. Hopefully your dream dog will appear soon.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Go to Petsmart, Petco etc on Saturday. Lots of rescues bring their dogs out for adoption. Most will even let you adopt right then and there, which I was surprised at. You will be overwhelmed with choice! There were certainly more breed options than Pitties, but most are mixed breeds. Thats how I found my girl, and her foster mom was there too so I was able to discuss what I needed/my situation at length with her. Belle (my dog) was sooo nervous, but sat so quietly in her crate despite all the craziness, and I completely fell in love. I'd spent the entire weekend looking at dogs and she was the last one - clearly it was meant to be!

I think the there are a few great things about going with rescues rather than the pound: a) you know more about the dog's history, b) adult dogs are usually housebroken before they are deemed available for adoption, c) you know your adoption fee will go right back into the rescue, d) getting a dog from a rescue opens up more places for the rescue to go get dogs from the pound! A win-win for everyone!

Now clearly, there are good rescues and bad rescues. You'll have to use your own judgment.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I feel your pain. I went through the same thing 15 years ago when looking for a dog when my kids were young. I could not find a suitable dog for both my taste (no yapper, no lab / Beagle, etc etc) and my kids' safety. I found one at my local SPCA that was young and all over me (pitt cross) but who cowered, growling, as soon as she saw my kids.
    So, I ended up with a 4 months old Std poodle that I got from a local breeder. Best $400 spent EVER!
    Good luck with your search.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    Go to Petsmart, Petco etc on Saturday. Lots of rescues bring their dogs out for adoption. Most will even let you adopt right then and there, which I was surprised at. You will be overwhelmed with choice! There were certainly more breed options than Pitties, but most are mixed breeds. Thats how I found my girl, and her foster mom was there too so I was able to discuss what I needed/my situation at length with her. Belle (my dog) was sooo nervous, but sat so quietly in her crate despite all the craziness, and I completely fell in love. I'd spent the entire weekend looking at dogs and she was the last one - clearly it was meant to be!

I think the there are a few great things about going with rescues rather than the pound: a) you know more about the dog's history, b) adult dogs are usually housebroken before they are deemed available for adoption, c) you know your adoption fee will go right back into the rescue, d) getting a dog from a rescue opens up more places for the rescue to go get dogs from the pound! A win-win for everyone!

Now clearly, there are good rescues and bad rescues. You'll have to use your own judgment.
    Yup - all 3 of our current wonderful dogs were adopted from local rescues/humane societies at Saturday Petco/PetSmart events. Two from Petco; one from PetSmart. Adopted the same day we saw them. Were allowed to take them on walks both in the store & outdoors for as long as we liked, filled out the forms, paid the adoption fees, & left with the dogs. About a week later, received calls from the rescues/humane societies checking up on how things were working out, & that was that. They've all worked out just fine.

I'm not a Pit fan, but even if I were, one thing to keep in mind is that if you rent/lease, you may have a problem if you adopt a Pit; & even if you own, you may have a problem with homeowners insurance.

Forgot to mention the Homeowners insurance thing - something I really enjoy having! I have done the Petsmart/Petco thing too - nothing clicked. And, as to the cat thing, walking a dog that's already in a strange place, that's been living in a strange place, being walked by a strange person by cats in cages would probably not elicit a true cat response - sensory overload.

Anyway, am going on a road trip of about 100 miles next weekend to visit a pointer rescue! Am psyched in hopes that one of those dogs will pick me! And yes, I am serious about that. My almost 14 year old Tortie cat picked me from a local shelter. Went looking for a kitten, went through the room of adoptables, saw one I liked, went to ask, it was already taken. So, I went back in. From the dark corner of the very bottom cage, a paw emerged. Psst - come here. So, I went there. There was Sam. Call me crazy cat lady, but I would bet money on the fact that she sat in that cage, that looked empty (tortie) and watched the people in that room and decided she would grace me with her presence.

When I find my dog, there will some kind of a click.

And, yes I am a hopeful romantic too!

2 members found this post helpful.

Pointers are great dogs (I adore German Shorthair Pointers - a different breed, I know, but I still love them), but make sure any you look at have been thoroughly introduced to cats. Some of them have really crazy-ass prey drives that can be impossible to eradicate.

3 members found this post helpful.

Petfinder.com also works with rescues and shelters. You might find it a helpful screening tool.

Since you are in florida, check out...

www.safeanimalshelter.com

There is a little girl there by the name of Aspen, she's a lab/golden mix that is really nice. She is heartworm positive, but her treatment is sponsored, so there is no cost for her treatment.

Sunshine is a rottie mix who is very, very sweet and good with cats.

Midnight and Tinker are Catahoula/labs that are nice dogs, not huge, but very sweet.

There is a litter of shep/rottie pups that are nice too.

There are a lot of pits, but not all of them are by any means. As a private shelter, we go out of our way to try and get non-pit breeds for people. The more of those we adopt, the more pits we can actually help. It's kind of a weird little circle....

Check back weekly with the adoption events, and let them know as well what type you're looking for. Is there another petsmart that you can drive to on Saturdays?
    Many rescues will let you do a trial adoption if you're unsure. We do it all the time, especially if there is a particular thing the adopters are concerned about (apartment noise, cat or other dog compatible...). I agree about cat testing, it's hard to walk a dog past the cattery and get a definitive read on how well a dog will live with *your* cats. We cat test at our vets but always include the disclaimer that vet kitty is a very confident, sedentary boss cat, and not a flighty, timid sprite with 'chase me' tattooed on his bum!
    Even if the animal control or groups don't have what you want now, check frequently... As in twice a week minimum. When I'm actively looking to pull a dog for us to foster, I check 4-6 animal control websites daily, and go in person to at least one on my day off. A nearby animal control can be pit central for a week or two straight, with hardly anything else that grabs my eye, and then one day get in three super cute dogs. I think you do have to become a little obsessive about checking though, that's how you'll catch the ones that you want before everyone else does!
    Pet harbor, pet finder, adopt a pet, petango,... All good to stalk. Also friend or follow people online who either run volunteer based animal control updates, or individual cross posters (they usually have crossposter or similar in their account name). Some of those people make ME look like I'm hardly online in comparison!!
    Maybe if there's a Patch for your area they might have pet listings?
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Don't know how you feel about road tripping up the coast, but a Weim was posted today in my local CL (southeastern CT):

http://newlondon.craigslist.org/pet/3773679734.html
    Horsey romances written by a horsey person
    www.JesseHayworth.com

I have an older Rhodie that I am 2 busy to give proper attention. Fine with cats and already house broken (8yrs old)
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post

I'm not a Pit fan, but even if I were, one thing to keep in mind is that if you rent/lease, you may have a problem if you adopt a Pit; & even if you own, you may have a problem with homeowners insurance.

I own a home and have all 3 of my Pits insured under Liberty Mutual with no added premium. Their only requirement was that I have a fence completely enclosing my backyard.