The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Advice on approaching BNT's for a job?

So I graduated college last year, moved home, and am now moving to CO. My trainer at school gave me a list of people and their phone numbers to call that are in the area to see if they are looking to hire. She told me to tell them that she gave me their number and to just call them up. Is the normal or acceptable way to approach them? Of course, I would like a job lined up before I move but in reality, that is not always possible. I was a working student for my trainer and did everything from stalls to showing. I rode a lot and often stayed home to ride and manage the place while she was on the road. I also went to shows with her over the summer. Should I have like a horse resume? Advice needed as I am moving in a month. Thanks!

Yes, you need two resumes.
    1. Your equestrian résumé that outlines your education, experience, and accomplishments. This should also include a cover letter outlining your teaching or training philosophies (if you are seeking those positions)
    2. Your professional résumé (what you would present for a corporate job.

It's totally acceptable to call in the manner your bnt that mentored you suggests. Consider it the same as cold calling sales. Don't just wing it. Practice in a few friends first.

Oh, and good luck! Be confident yet humble
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

2 members found this post helpful.

I don't mean to hijack from OP, but..

Does anyone have an example layout of an equestrian resume? How would you layout something like that? I'm curious.

Same as you would a professional resume. I don't have mine updated in ages since I decided to go into business for myself, but basics
    Name and contact info
    Accomplishments (your boastables)
    Equestrian Work experience (paid and unpaid)
    Education (this would include names of instructors, focus of study, duration)
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

My equestrian resume is laid out just like a corperate resume.. Only horsey.. And it has impressed many.

Many BNT's would love to hear from you! Give them a call, introduce yourself, tell them your trainer suggested you call. Offer to mail/bring your neatly typed out resume (don't scratch it out on notebook paper with a pencil please!) and arrange an interview if they are interested. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

1 members found this post helpful.

I would add to make sure you sound confident when you call Do it! You never know unless you put yourself out there and try. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Capall View Post
    I would add to make sure you sound confident when you call Do it! You never know unless you put yourself out there and try. Good luck!
    With anyone who is really worth knowing, the worst case scenario is they're not hiring and you made a new contact.

1 members found this post helpful.

I can tell you that almost every last of the bigger trainers in CO that I've met are all welcoming, friendly, chatty and helpful. Of course there's a bad egg here and there, but they are few and far between.

If your trainer gave you their names and numbers, I'm sure she picked the folks she knew were good eggs.

It's a very friendly horse state. Which is why I moved back after 10 years away. Never found the same "vibe" anywhere else.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."