The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hope your friend's goddaughter has many horse book reading adventures ahead and that you have a good time when she visits your horse. Bonus points for when anyone sends a gift of a book to a horse-crazy kid: wrap it in Thelwell gift wrap. Even better, talk with the kids about the books (reread them if it's been awhile). Recently, was at a casual dinner with my kid's trainer at a barnmate's house, and the trainer had brought a stack of great old books (including one by Gordon Wright with some Sam Savitt illustrations) for my kid to read, passed a couple of them around, opened one up and started talking about it with the kids (teens) gathered around, and they were mesmerized. Kind of a magic moment to see everyone so engaged in the discussion.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks, Happy. If she is anything like the horse lovers here, her childhood will have many happy hours of delving into horsey lore. The love of horses (if one is truly afflicted/smitten) lasts a lifetime.

In the world of machines, it is encouraging to see those who are eager to discover horses. They are such enchanting beings: willing, powerful, beautiful, graceful, sensitive, etc. We have taken them from the wild and asked so very many things of them. Our history has been built by them. Any one of them could kill us on a whim and they choose not to; sometimes in even for their own preservation they have not harmed abusers. Then again, we all assume a risk when we are around horses. This is why I want to touch on safe practices when the girl is visiting and grooming my horse.

My friend has offered me money for this, but you know, there are some things that you just don't charge for and this is one of them. It's a pleasure to meet a horse lover, who at this point is probably just testing the waters.

I'll put in a vote for Little Black, A Pony by Walter Farley. It may be below her reading level, I don't know, but I loved that story. There are a bunch more like it that were published, too.

'plash

Quote Originally Posted by TheTwinTiersHorse View Post
    . . .
    Also liked The Crooked Colt by C.W. Anderson and others by Anderson.
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Crooked-Co...e+crooked+colt
    I do believe I remember that! For a seven year old I'd go with Thelwell and some of the Marguerite Henry books. Margaret Cabell Self put together a book of short stories was that was really excellent but more themed for adults, all her titles were good.
    I remember another called Light Horsekeeping http://www.amazon.com/Light-Horsekee.../dp/0525146202 which was pretty good too.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Ok...so my daughter is 7 as well and is certifiable. She is also a short stirrup kid, her favourite books are.......Pony Camp Diaries, Sandy Lane Stables, the Horse Mad series, Pony Mad Princess and the Fetlocks hall series.

We tend to find that we prefer the pony books from the UK. Also they are all chapter books, DD is a pretty independent reader and has no problem reading these to herself. Good luck finding some good books!

1 members found this post helpful.

I have a horse-smitten reader in my life.
    When she was 7 I gave her all of my Margeurite Henry books, she's a smart cookie and an avid reader and she went through them all quickly.
    At age 8 (or almost 9, maybe) I sent my copy of Buck Brannaman's The Faraway Horses for her to read. She loved it. But probably a bit much for a 7 year old.

I also read Pony Pals when I was 7....It was a series of shorter chapter books (100something pages). I just looked them up and WOW there are a lot more than when I was little. I think I read like the first 15 and one or two of the special edition ones, now there are 44 total!
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatteo View Post
    The Saddle Club... The books may be a bit hard to find (except for the first couple) but I loved them growing up. They have some good horsey knowledge mixed with good morals and adventures that any kid who wants to be around horses can relate to. Usually you can find them in used book stores or websites of similar nature these days.

They're kind of interesting because the author learned as she wrote them so the later ones are a bit more realistic in their situations than the early ones.
    The same author also wrote a series for younger readers, called "Pony Tails".

Quote Originally Posted by puddleplasher View Post
    I'll put in a vote for Little Black, A Pony by Walter Farley. It may be below her reading level, I don't know, but I loved that story. There are a bunch more like it that were published, too.

'plash
    YES! Even if it's aimed at the younger crowd, the pics alone are worth it - a couple years ago I actually bought a copy for myself after being unable to unearth the one at my grandparents's!

OP - Happy Horsemanship. Fantastic nonfiction aimed at the younger set. Heck, I consulted m copy before starting to ride again after 15+ years off!

Doodlebug - can't remember the author.

Herd of Thunder, Manes of Gold (a collection of stuff - great stuff)

Judy Anderson's Little Squire about Mickey Walsh

by Suzanne Wilding: Dream Pony for Robin, Big Jump for Robin, and Harlequin Horse

We stumbled upon the Wilding books and my only regret is that I didn't read these as a child. Sam Savitt illustrations add to the storylines but the stories are just great! The kids hack to Rallies, the jumps are referred to using proper terminology, the kids hunt, do dressage, h/j shows, hunter trials, x-ctry...there are discussions among the characters about proper horsemanship. Just good stuff.

I'm 99% that all of these are out of print. The only Walter Farley Kool Aid book might be Doodlebug but it's closer to a what a 7 year old might be able to read on their own and a great little feel good story about saving a Hackney pony from the killer buyer at an auction. Good times!

Oh good gawd - I can't believe I forgot it but a fave was/is A Very Young Rider....Jill Clement (??? I think that's right...)

Quote Originally Posted by Lori T View Post
    So many of the classics....Billy and Blaze, the Walter Farley collection, and Marquerite Henry's books too.
    I would also get her the USPC Manual of Horsemanship for D level...great introductory to caring for the horse.
    My house had The Care & Training of the Trotter & Pacer instead of anything USPC.

Also had a bunch of OLD vet & horse care books, those have been passed on to the next 8 yro girl.

I grew up being read The Saddle Club series as bedtime stories with my dad. Even after I could read them on my own (I would often read a chapter ahead), he would still read to me as that was out special time of the day. I still have all of them and will never get rid of them!
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

The Lucky Foot Stables series by JoAnn Dawson are great books for kids.

http://www.luckyfootseries.com/