The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looking for Suggested Horse Books for Children

So, my friend's goddaughter is interested in horses. I don't know how severe her "affliction" is. I will be asking my friend about that soon.

She could be horse crazy with horse pics & statues in her room, breathes & dreams horses; the scent of horses is aroma therapy and runs to the TV if she hears neighing or hoof beats. - I never outgrew that last one. Or this could be a mild curiosity. My friend did say the girl is excited about the prospect of coming to meet my horse. (No set date yet.)

The girl is seven-years-old. I would like to give her godmother a list of recommend horse books that she can get from the library along the lines of horse stories fiction/non-fiction that have pleasant endings and also books where she can gain some horse knowledge especially about safe practices. I will be coaching her to some extent but the written word helps too.

I hope to make it a fun experience for her. I don't know if this will ever become to the point where the girl will be wanting riding lessons, pony club, etc. This is just tentative stuff. Ya gotta reel 'em in gentle-like so that they have the horse habit for life. Hopefully, she will be a future horse owner, well-informed with how to care for and ride horses.

So many of the classics....Billy and Blaze, the Walter Farley collection, and Marquerite Henry's books too.
    I would also get her the USPC Manual of Horsemanship for D level...great introductory to caring for the horse.
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

3 members found this post helpful.

Hey, thanks, Lori.

Those classics are timeless, aren't they? I loved them all but I missed the Billy & Blaze one. A horse-crazy kid can get to their happy place really fast with those books.

If she reads Black Beauty, it won't be because of me. I still hate it that Ginger died. *still traumatized*

The USPC Manual is a good start. Thanks!

We're in Canada, if that is of any consequence.

Don't forget Misty of Chinocotegue (and all the others by Margret Self) plus My Friend Flicka.

1 members found this post helpful.

Great, Possum. I got lost in Margret's books; scribbling away on my list.

Thanks so much.

Mine wanted to know everything to know about horses. She wasn't interested in the story of a boy and his horse. Couldn't care less that Black Beauty tells about the bearing rein and the movement to get it removed. She wanted to know markings, breeds etc. We went with the list below. Now at 10 she wants to read the classics but at 7 it was all facts and 15000 questions why!
    Everything Horse: What Kids Really Want to Know about Horses (Kids Faqs)
    For Horse-Crazy Girls Only: Everything You Want to Know About Horses (Her favorite book even now)
    Horse Anatomy (Dover Nature Coloring Book)
    Horse Crazy!: 1,001 Fun Facts, Craft Projects, Games, Activities, and Know-How for Horse-Loving Kids
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

I loved Sparky and Puffball when I was a kid. In looking for it, I found that the author, Paul Brown, wrote a bunch of kid's horse books, but I think they are very hard to find.
    http://www.janebadgerbooks.co.uk/usa...wnpage163.html

Also liked The Crooked Colt by C.W. Anderson and others by Anderson.
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Crooked-Co...e+crooked+colt
    What's Horsie in the Twin Tiers? Find out here:
    http://thetwintiershorse.blogspot.com/

Former user name: GilbertsCreeksideAcres

Quote Originally Posted by PossumHorse View Post
    Don't forget Misty of Chinocotegue (and all the others by Margret Self) plus My Friend Flicka.
    ??? You mean Marguerite Henry!
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

That's quite a good list, Leila. I made a note of the "horse-crazy" books. Maybe the kid is like I was, I had both a thirst to learn and be entertained with the horse stories. I hope the girl is similar to yours and keeps on with the horses.

One day she may be just like the rest us, slogging a wheelbarrow of muck to the pile, getting her boots sucked off in the mud during a downpour. Yep, she'll be thinking, "Nothin' says loving like being a horse slave." That and cursing the day that she met me.

Twin Tiers - Haven't heard of Sparky and Puffball. Because you loved it, it is on The List.

More upvotes here for anything by Marguerite Henry (Misty, King of the Wind, Born to Trot, etc.) including "Dear Readers and Riders," for more how-to information.

Also for anything by C.W. Anderson, his range from picture books with his beautiful illustrations, to novels like Afraid to Ride (for older children).

Depending on her reading level, the picture books by Wesley Dennis (Marguerite Henry's original illustrator) featuring the foal, Flip, are awesome: Flip, Flip and the Morning. Actually they are good reading for adults, too.

I believe the best introductory book about horses and riding is Happy Horsemanship, by Dorothy Henderson Pinch. Find it used online.

2 members found this post helpful.

Summer Pony and Winter Pony by Jean Slaughter Doty

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RooMB4 View Post
    Summer Pony and Winter Pony by Jean Slaughter Doty
    I just finished reading both of these to my kids (ages 6 & 9) and they loved them! They told me they wished there was "Spring Pony and Fall Pony"!

The Saddle Club... The books may be a bit hard to find (except for the first couple) but I loved them growing up. They have some good horsey knowledge mixed with good morals and adventures that any kid who wants to be around horses can relate to. Usually you can find them in used book stores or websites of similar nature these days.

They're kind of interesting because the author learned as she wrote them so the later ones are a bit more realistic in their situations than the early ones.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatteo View Post
    The Saddle Club... The books may be a bit hard to find (except for the first couple) but I loved them growing up. They have some good horsey knowledge mixed with good morals and adventures that any kid who wants to be around horses can relate to. Usually you can find them in used book stores or websites of similar nature these days.

They're kind of interesting because the author learned as she wrote them so the later ones are a bit more realistic in their situations than the early ones.
    I was obsessed with these books as a child. Same with the Thoroughbred series. I also loved Black Beauty.

Another one I loved is Happy Horsemanship. It's actually a non-fiction book that teaches you basics of riding and caring for horses, but it has the cutest illustrations that go with it and is written in very kid-friendly language. I still have my copy from when I was a kid and it's quite dog-eared because I read through it so many times (even though I didn't own a horse and just took occasional lessons at that time).

My favorite horse book: Somebody's Pony (aka Lost Pony) by Nancy Cafferty. Two kids find a pony and keep it in the chicken coop until their parents find out. They take it to a show to see if the owner can be found... This was a Scholastic book so is no longer in print, but you can get it used.

Another vote for Summer Pony by Jean Slaughter Doty, which is back in print.

There are two series that are beginning chapter books that I love that are relatively new:

Keeker and the Sneaky Pony
    Cowgirl Kate & Cocoa

They're funny and well drawn and right at the 7 year old reading level... though I loved them myself.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I loved Flip!

A good book for someone if they are starting to take lessons or ride is How to Stay Out of Trouble With Your Horse by Walter Farley. I think it is out of print, but there are copies for 2$ on Amazon.

I see a lot of ppl that should have read that book!

OMG! I LOVED Lost Pony! I think I have it somewhere, along with the billy and blaze (the illustrations are worth everything) and Salute and anything by CW Anderson! And of course Marguerite Henry and all of hers.

And Thelwell ( how can you not include his "take" on horse/pony care???)

If she likes western the Mountain Pony series by Henry Larom (owned the Valley Ranch) is excellent and includes plenty on horse care (and now to stay on a bucking horse!)

And whatever that original Snowman story was called.

Marjorie Reynolds also wrote a wonderful book called A Horse Called Mystery which is a super book, plenty on horse care but also on other kid issues - bullying, standing up for yourself and so on. She is a great writer!

And have fun when she comes to visit! Lucky girl!

Quote Originally Posted by michaleenflynn View Post
    ??? You mean Marguerite Henry!
    That's what I was going to say! I read all of her horse-related books when I was younger and just started working on compiling first editions of them.

edit: i'll add the USPC Manual. My dressage trainer had me read it when I was 8.
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

Wow! You guys are awesome. I knew that I could depend on COTH. I might as well send a link to this thread to my friend.

I forgot about Born to Trot - loved it. And Thelwell - too funny. I can still yuck it up over those hysterical cartoons. (Case in point: Two kids go "splat" off their ponies. The ponies are shown disappearing over the horizon, racing to the barn. One kid says to the other, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" The other kid deadpans, "Alive!") Oh, and there's the stories about Man o' War and Phar Lap - excellent stuff.

I think the girl would quite like A Horse Called Mystery. She was moved to another school due to bullying. It may help her to know that others have gone through this and she did nothing to deserve it.

The books that tell a story, while at the same time being educational are treasures.

With a little bit of luck, she has been buzzing through some of these books already.

I am looking forward to the little girl's visit to my horse. I certainly intend to welcome her to the world of horses and make it fun for her. She wants to learn about grooming. So we will have a little session about that. I will give a run down on why it's good to groom a horse and to pay attention to hoof picking. No, I will not ask her to pick my horse's hooves at this point, but will show her how to do it.

Although kids are learning sponges, I must be careful about flooding her with too much info. That is why I am preparing a list of good horse books for her.

Thank you, everyone. For anyone I missed, thank you, thank you, thank you.